Air midwest crashes into hangar @ CLT??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another Friend Gone...........

In a former life I knew Kate, I'll miss the good times we had hangin out in the "crack shack". She was just one of the crew and a good friend. She's the 9th friend I've lost in the industry and I'll tell you it never gets any easier.

V-1 said:
Fox News

Isn't this a perfect example of an oxymoron?

I am disgusted when I walk through the pilot's lounge at work and notice fellow crewmembers watching this network. Let's see, the same network we trusted to bring us "Married With Children", "Celebrity Boxing", "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire", etc. now wants to bring news reporting into our homes? Let's all rush to welcome them.

Although Mr. O'Brien is likely much less experienced than the average "regional", "commuter", "express", or "connection" pilot, I wonder if he informs his passengers of this.

That's my opinion about the media coverage. I am sympathetic to the families and friends of those involved. Thanks to those who've posted who knew members of the crew. It helps the rest of us feel a little closer to those involved in the tragedy.

** Liberal Alert ** ** Liberal Alert ** ** Liberal Alert **

I watch Fox News a lot. Best out there on the cable networks in my opinion, and the ratings. I am surprised MSNBC is still a network. They are falling in every rating out there.

;)

Re: Another Friend Gone...........

LearLove said:
In a former life I knew Kate, I'll miss the good times we had hangin out in the "crack shack". She was just one of the crew and a good friend. She's the 9th friend I've lost in the industry and I'll tell you it never gets any easier.

We feel for you. I've lost a few friend in training accidents, and although the magnitude isn't as great has an airliner crashing, it still brings pain and sadness. The crew and passengers that were on board, their families will be in my prayers.

My family and I are praying for the families of all those on board. We will keep them in our thoughts.

As far as Miles goes, Atlanta (where CNN is), I would venture to say, has more Professional pilots per square mile than just about every other city in the US. You think they could find a REAL expert. Of course, as was said earlier, real experts won't speculate to drive the ratings up.

Secondly, I hope Jonathan Ornstien takes care of these folks' families. I have bad feelings about how the families of the pilots and passengers will be cared for given Mr. Ornstien's reputation for poor relations with labor and business. For this reason, all of their familes NEED our Prayers.

God Bless the folks of FLight 5481

" To fly west is a journey we must all take for our final check"
Author Unknown

My prayers and condolences to the crew, passengers, and their friends and families.

FLYING WEST

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky
Where pilots can go when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management-type would e'ler be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.
The kind of a place that a lady could go
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their wings become heavy, when their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd 'flown west' before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And there, through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen in years, though he'd taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear
And say, "Welcome, my Son, I'm proud that you're here!
For this is the place where true flyers come
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won.
They've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
From the government clerk, and the management clone;
Politicians and lawyers, the Feds, and the noise,
Where all hours are happy, and these good ol' boys
Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest!
This is Heaven, my Son. You've passed your last test!"

— Captain Michael J. Larkin, TWA (Ret.), 'Air Line Pilot' magazine, February 1995

So long, Kate
So long, Jonathan

"A terrrible loss. I will pray that they were prepared by their trust in Christ, and that their families are comforted." Amen to that....I was so worried it might have been one of my Air Midwest friends (Cindy Jacobs or Greg Stevens). My condolences to those who knew Katie & Johnathan.

:(

As far as accidents go, this Jetstream crashed three years after Comair:

Date: 05/21/2000
Airline: Executive Airlines
Aircraft: BAe Jetstream 3101
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 19:19
Details: The plane crashed into a heavily wood area as it was making a second approach to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport. Visibility was poor in wind, low clouds and light rain. While attempting the second approach, the pilot reported both engines had quit but restarted one of them before the plane crashed.

Date: 01/09/1997
Airline: Comair (Delta Connection)
Aircraft: Embraer EMB-120RT Brasilia
Fatalities/No. Aboard: 29:29
Details: While on approach and attempting to land on runway 3R at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, in a snowstorm, the aircraft went into a steep dive and crashed into a field. The accident was caused by the FAA's failure to establish adequate aircraft certification standards for flight in icing conditions. Contributing to the accident were the flightcrew's decision to operate in icing conditions near the lower margin of the operating airspeed envelope (with flaps retracted), and Comair's failure to establish and adequately disseminate unambiguous minimum airspeed values for flap configurations and for flight in icing conditions.

The last U.S. commercial airline accident involving a Beechcraft 1900 was in 1996, when a United Airlines Express plane collided with a small private plane on the airport tarmac in Quincy, Illinois, killing all 14 people on board both planes.

All from the Air Safety Online Crash Database.

Possible cause???

A quote from my pal Graham:

"My fraternity Brother, (AHP),(The professional aviation college fraternity,) was burnt last night on duty time. Had he not been, it would have been him in the right seat this morning. I was getting my tires rotated this morning, and Goodyear had the TV on. As soon as I heard, "Air Midwest" my cell phone went to speed dial his number. His voice answered on the second ring. Quite relieved, I said, turn on the tv. He did so, and proceeded to tell me the above. This line of work always will cause us to loose our chums, sometimes earlier than later. Late this afternoon, after I had suggested that he get "sick" for a day or so, he said, no, I am going to go sit ready reserve, so I called him around 5:00. He was in ROA, doing a turn, and said, "Hey, in light of it all, polish your shoes, put your cap on, and just go do it. He did say though that at about 4:00, it became known to insiders that a prop blade had been found on the left side of 18R around the 6,000 ft, runway remaining sign, (Black 6 boxed sign). Departing 18R, if a blade was thrown, that would explain SOME things, not all. "

I had been worried that one of the pilots might have been John B., whose father and grandfather ran the little airport where I learned to fly outside of Philly.

We never know when it is our time to go. That's why it is so important that we be ready.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back