• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Inc- Waist of money?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would favor those with degrees but I don't think one who has achieved that will make a better monkey button pusher

Button pushing is a small part of this job. I like to say that we have a job that is easy to do poorly. It is easy to not study the weather before departure (or have any knowledge on how weather systems work) and trust the dispatcher. You can sit back and read the paper and never check your fuel, winds, engine gages, or follow your flight plan as your flight progresses. There are lots of things that can be done on a flight that probably will not make any difference that time, and nobody will know if you did them or not. Maybe that is why a degree is good to have. It shows that I can do well in that art history class I took even though I had no interest in doing it. Aviation can be terribly unforgiving.

This is the perfect example of why pilots these days are not considered professionals. This guy can't spell worth a dime (he made this same mistake twice). Dude, did you almost flunk out of high school, skip college, then have daddy pay for your flight academy?

And you wonder why some airlines consider a college degree "highly perferred". Too weed out saps like this!

Please educate yourself.

Ewe knead two ewes spellcheck weather oar knot yew no four sure.

I am living proof that a couple of coolege degrees have nothing to do wiht spleeing ability. Just like a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

You just don't understand

I am living proof that a couple of coolege degrees have nothing to do wiht spleeing ability. Just like a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

Yip, I think now it's almost comical dealing with you and your broken record mentality. Dude (I mean Sir), how long are you going to live in 1965? I have agreed with you multiple times in the past - YOU'RE RIGHT YIP, FLYING AN AIRLINER DOESN'T REQUIRE A 4 YEAR DEGREE!!! You won!!!

However, here is the point I've made before, I'll make now, and I'm sure I'll make in the future with you as you continue to grovel over and over at your pessimistic mentality towards higher education. A college degree IS required to improve a person's knowledge and communication skills - no two ways about it. And as the competition for the major's continues to be incredibly tough, a college degree is going to set you apart from the other non-college pogues in more ways than one. An interview panel doesn't think (oh, can this person fly a big tube with 200 people on it?) Of course not, your stats already show that, or you wouldn't have made it to the interview in the first place. They're thinking, can this guy be a captain for my company in 10 years, communicate well with his pax, be a good guy to present to the media, and overall show his professionalism? This is where having that college degree and experience kicks in!! That is why you need a 4 year degree, and why the major's are very smart in either requiring it on their app's or "highly preferring" it.

OK, I'm standing by for your negative rebuttal yip. Take us back to 1960 where you don't need the college degree to be competitive. In 2006 that just doesn't cut it anymore.

College degrees do not necessarily make one smarter, but they do make one more competitive - both in this industry and in many others. Since the college degree is a MAJOR factor in who gets hired and who does not, it would not be a wise decision to embark into a profession where the majority of the applicants have at least one college degree.

Learning a skill makes you qualified for a particular job. Combining that skill with a college degree makes you competitive. Put the two together and combine it with "who you know", and you are probably going to get hired. However, the "who you know" will probably be asked "what you have?" i.e., a degree.

Hey scrapdog "non-college pogues" I guess we know how you feel about the low lifes without college degree. It has been posted that I am anti-college degree. Nothing cold is further from the truth. The country needs all the college-educated citizens it can have, its raises the level of knowledge to keep this as the greatest country in the world. Real degrees in business, engineering, the sciences, math, and medicine provide a graduate with marketable skills. If you are going to go to college, get a real degree from a real university. Do not spend four years getting a degree in Women’s Studies so you can apply at CAL. The college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Many have posted they agree it has nothing to do with the mastering on an airplane. I have admitted that the possession of a degree may open doors at a few select places of employment in the airline industry. If a potential pilot feels they will only be pleased in life if they get an interview with FedEx, then that prospective pilot should go to college. Air Inc advertises that 172 airlines and assorted aviation companies are recruiting right now; I only see four that make the degree a showstopper. My assertion that runs contrary to the ‘College is a must” crowd, is that to be competitive for the other 168 places the degree is not necessary. If a prospective pilots just loves flying airplanes, and would be happy making $70-$100K per year with no debt from college loans, a college degree is not necessary. Many prospective pilots may be steered into attending college when they are not college material, not because of a lack basic intelligence, but because it is not important to them. These pilots want to get on with their lives flying airplanes. I have seen too many non-degreed pilots reach a good career position with out a degree. But then my focus is on job satisfaction and not upon pay, respect, and prestige. It is about the joy of flying an airplane. Others out there may feel the same motivation I do. My advice is go to school part time or community college and fly, pilots get hired because they have flight time. Flt time moves you up the food chain to better jobs; the degree is not needed until the last step. You can go to school part time with a full time flying job, you cannot build real flight time while going to school full time. I have seen non-degreed guys go to the Nationals in their mid-20’s.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back