• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France 447, automation and the pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With that crew, I think the tail was wagging the dog all along. They even had the FYI from dx.

The focus of the investigation was on the inadequacies of the pitot heaters, and the lack of basic flying skills by the costar. A TAP (Air Portugal) 767 was 15 mins behind them on the same route and deviated over 200 miles off track. There never was any questioning on why they were where they were in the first place. My conclusion is
A) The radar was not on or it was not tuned or malfunctioning
B) They were asleep (72 hr Rio layover could be taxing)
C) They did not know what they were looking at

In defense of the crew I'm convinced they had a malfunctioning radar, it's the only plausible explanation to me.

I've come back to the cockpit after my break to find all the lights on, both relief pilots reading, and the radar off.

In the middle of the night.

In the middle of the North Atlantic.

It only takes once.

Here's a theory on the radar. The radar return intensity is a knob within a knob. I.E. The knob that controls the nav display also has an inner knob that controls the radar return. On shutdown, crews dim all the screens (including the radar knob with the Nav display).
On preflight it's easy to turn the Nav display knob up but not the radar return knob. You would then be flying around with the radar on and not painting anything on your Nav display.

Another radar tip: Certain failure modes will show a normal indication in the "test" switch position. To fully verify radar operation (when in a safe position to do so), turn it on and lower the tilt until it paints terrain.

I've come back to the cockpit after my break to find all the lights on, both relief pilots reading, and the radar off.

In the middle of the night.

In the middle of the North Atlantic.

It only takes once.

The radar being off in the middle of the North Atlantic, in the middle of the night, would not bother me too much. The radar being off in the ITCZ in the middle of the night would bother me greatly. The flashes in the window, the St Elmo's fire lighting up the windows would have me twisting and tuning to get some kind of return. Infrared imaging showed temps of -75 to -80C which puts those cloud tops above 56,000 ft. And they flew right thru the middle of them. It's unexplainable.

Here's a theory on the radar. The radar return intensity is a knob within a knob. I.E. The knob that controls the nav display also has an inner knob that controls the radar return. On shutdown, crews dim all the screens (including the radar knob with the Nav display).
On preflight it's easy to turn the Nav display knob up but not the radar return knob. You would then be flying around with the radar on and not painting anything on your Nav display.

That's a plausible explanation. But with all the flashing goin on outside?

Latest resources

Back