• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unless you are flying in a combat zone, which is what being a military pilot is all about, then you may be flying a 125 hours a month. I did over 700 hours in six months flying in Vietnam

Dude, u need to check your math/verbiage.

Last edited:
Dude, u need to check your math/verbiage.
a couple months only did around a 100 due to rotation cycles, so 6 X 125 = 750 - (2x25)= 700 + fudge factor of .023 std dev of median

a couple months only did around a 100 due to rotation cycles, so 6 X 125 = 750 - (2x25)= 700 + fudge factor of .023 std dev of median

Your use of the word unless lost me Admiral :)

For us, unless you were in the gulf, you flew 20 hours a month.

In the gulf, we flew non stop.

Glad you made it back.

Last edited:

ditto back in the states even in a P-3 it was about 30 hours a month. I never has a chance of making Admiral, I p!ssed off too many of my bosses along the line. :laugh:

Glad you made it back.

So why would such low time not make you less qualified?

We are talking $$$ allocations during specific periods of time but you wanna know, we go out to the boat and land at night with no horizon.

When I was at Eagle, I noticed certain captains never landed at night, it was always my landing, for the entire month.

Yep, not incapable

Unqualified.

Refute it if you don't like it- but it is the truth. We don't drop bombs at 121 carriers.
I'm sure it was a hell of an accomplishment, and fun, and lots of respectable things- but it relates to airline flying about as well as a floatplane

Yes you must be very qualified to turn on the autopilot.

I again have to remind you that you have not done both so you are speaking out of your buttocks. Many here have fired ordnance from an aircraft. Depending on the weapons sytem it typically involved moving the controls with enough finesse to keep a circle centered between two crossed needles or a circle inside of a box. Sort of like everything you do when you hand fly an airliner.

Please refrain from continually speaking of things you have no expereince with. I think you are a pretty intelligent and thoughful person but when it comes to this stuff you sound pretty ignorant.

Who spent more time actually flying? Takeoff-Autopilot-Land equates to how much ACTUAL flight time, in say a three hour period? Maybe 20 minutes? A fighter pilot with 1500 hours spent most of those 1500 hours actually manipulating the controls, you know flying, not complaining about their schedule, playing with their phone, or reading the paper.

So if I held a corporate job that flew me only 15 hours a month- I should get an opportunity at the same years of service as the RJ driver flying 90/month?

Both of us wouldn't be considered as having equal quals after year three, corp pilot having 2500 hours and the RJ driver having 5000 hours (assuming they both got hired with about 2k TT)

The RJ guy has twice the flight time and actually knows 121- so they would get opportunities over the corporate pilot-
Yet, the military pilot feels entitled because he doesn't fly very much-
Guess what- airlines fly you a lot. Not flying very much shouldn't mean you catch a break on how much time you need in order to be considered, it's another reason military pilots are generally unqualified for the positions they get hooked up into.

You know and I know most of our time as airline pilots were not spent flying but sitting. That is why quite a few airline pilots own airplanes, they like to actually fly every now and then. Just because a guy sat in an RJ more hours than a guy in an F-16 actually spent flying doesn't make them a whole lot more skilled.

EDIT: Let me add civilian guys eat their own too. It seems everyone wants glass cockpit time. Guys who flew first generation jets or single pilot freight in a Metroliner could likely fly the pants off a 4,000 hour RJ jockey, but who cares anymore? it's all about who can they push buttons in the right sequence. Airline flying is not about flying, its about sitting and pushing buttons, thus they value pushing buttons over actual pilot skills. Sometime in the future they will do away with aircraft type ratings and you will get typed on an avioncs package.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back