Air Force pilot bonus (ACP)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BengalsFan

Anyone know if the ACP for FY '08 came out over the holiday? It's getting a bit ridiculous that the AF can't figure out the ACP structure 3 months into fiscal year '08... although, maybe they cut too many damn people and don't have anyone to work on it!??!?!?!

I think the blame belongs on the politicians for now. The ACP is part of the defense budget, which hadn't been passed yet. The AF proposed ACP months ago for their submission.

After the budget passes and it takes forever for them to implement a program they already knew about, then blame the AF.

Anybody know the status of the defense budget?

FWIW....

I signed the $12,000 bonus back in 1996. Oct-Dec dragged on, and no budget into January. I forgot the details, but the budget was eventually signed and I got a call from the MPF that I needed to come down and sign the bonus within 48 hours or risk losing portions of it. So--wait wait wait but if you don't jump through your butt RIGHT NOW you lose money.

Nothing new under the sun...

Good luck. I'm happy I separated and went to the ANG but with age 60 changes I think taking the bonus right now is a better option than its been in a long, long time.

I'm happy I separated and went to the ANG but with age 60 changes I think taking the bonus right now is a better option than its been in a long, long time.

I gonked some numbers over the summer that I posted on APC...as with any planning, there were a crapload of assumptions, but the overall picture is that financially it is a wash IF you upgrade to Captain on time.

One error in my planning to note: although I allowed for flying to age 65, I took current upgrade time into account. I'd like to go back and re-wick the numbers for a 10, 11, or 12 year upgrade and see how that is different.

SCENARIOS:

1. Stay in the AF, take the bonus, make O-4 and retire as an O-4 at 20, then hired at SWA (with AF retirement pay)

2. Stay in the AF, take the bonus, make O-4 and O-5 and retire as an O-5 at 20, then hired at SWA (with AF retirement pay)

3. Leave AF at 10, get hired by SWA

ASSUMPTIONS:
- FY2007 USAF pay scale before taxes
- BAS/BAH is the "average" BAH for FY07 plus std officer BAS
- 10-year UPT commitment (so age 31/32 is the "break" point)
- Promotion to Maj at 10 years in scenario 1 and 2
- Promotion to Lt Col at 16 years in scenario 2
- Make gates to maintain ACIP at FY07 rate in scenario 1 and 2
- Took "pilot bonus" at current 25K/year in scenario 1 and 2

- SWA 2007 pay scale as shown on APC
- Upgrade to Capt at 7 years
- 78 hours/month, as described on APC's SWA page
- Fly till age 65

The results? I'm surprised by what I see:

TOTAL AGE 32 to 65 EARNINGS:

Scenario 1: $5,728,034.00
Scenario 2: $5,861,405.84
Scenario 3: $5,535,504.00

Obviously this is not a gnat's ass accurate number, especially because of SWA's trips-for-pay system, and the fact that APC's hourly rates aren't a direct correlation...but it's as close as I could get over my lunch break.

Bottom line: if the QOL suits you in the military, and you're willing to risk all the crap that is associated with the back half of a military career (staff job, remote, potential non-flying tour), it's a wash to potentially more financially beneficial to stay in.

Last edited:
Checked the AFPC this morning, still nothing for FY08. I'm assuming $25k/5 yr contract again. Anybody heard anything different?

Of course, there are a lot of intangibles to consider when getting out as well.

1) You stay in, and no one is hiring when you retire (this has happened to lots of my buds). You get a sim job and aren't current when hiring picks up.

2) The AF decides the predator is for you, and you aren't current/don't have many hours when you get out, whether airlines are hiring or not.

Another scenario to consider: You get out, get hired, and work a guard job until 20. Don't forget in your calculations what the value of your future retirement would be in all scenarios.

As you work your calculations, take a good look at NewmanF16's words. Somewhere around the 14-15 year point there's an "opinion" shift from the higher-ups about your role in the AF. Even thought you spent the majority of your early years as a pilot (and all your OPR's and stuff proved you were a pilot), things change as you get into the middle management of the squadrons/wings/staffs. Your bosses start letting you know that you're an "officer first and a pilot at the AF's convienence". Which rapidly turns into you're an "officer first"...and you'll do what's good for the AF (and they'll let you know just what that is). Ever hear of guys who were offered a great assignment that'll really help their career? And they had very little background that related to that job...except maybe they were up for PCS at the time?

As you get older, you'll have less and less opportunity to stay in the cockpit. You may think you have it all figured out and head off to do that mandatory staff tour with the perfect return to the cockpit in three years...only to see it all disappear when the "AF policy" shifts with a PCS of a General/Colonel in a position you've never heard of. Or a weapon system starts geting phased out early to support the R&D or Acquisitions money chase at the Pentagon.

Getting back to that cockpit can be very tough. Being a normal pilot means (to me) that you're the type that's gonna to do the best job you can wherever you are...even on the staff. You'll do it because it's important to those out on the line and forward deployed. That kind of staff expertise gets noticed (especially by those higher-ups who really prefer to be on the staff and not out on the line flying). They look for guys who'll get the job done in a quality way, because it makes it easier on them (and therefore the organization looks better to his/her bosses and raters). And that guy can re-route you (and your expertise) into a position that's miles and miles from a runway and into a second deskjob..."for the good of the AF".

You really need to hold your cards close to your chest and not show them to anyone you cannot absolutely trust. As far as anyone's concerned. you're still on the career path. The etiquette of letting your immediate bosses know your plans can be a bit touchy...and is probably a different thread.

Staying current is a HUGE factor in your quest for a higher-level civilian flying career. Good luck with it all...

Need to run the numbers for get out at 10 serve guard/reserve til 20 and get retirement at 60. I believe that is the way to go.

YeOldeProp speaks truthfully. Be berry, berry careful. But get in touch with those who have departed the fix ahead of you to determine the winds ;-)

FWIW, an additional consideration may be how much one pays for health insurance on the outside. As a retiree, I pay $460/yr for a family which compares quite favorable to other options. Depending upon your company, some guys pay over $400/month for health insurance.

2) The AF decides the predator is for you, and you aren't current/don't have many hours when you get out, whether airlines are hiring or not.

Anyone heard of giving any consideration for Predator time as PICish (you're breaking things with missiles fired off an airframe, which is kind of responsible) as long as you're also current?

Scenario:

You've got 1000+ PIC piston, 1000+ SIC turbine, you're current 121, and you want to go to a major. Plus Predator and navigator time.

My answer is "Nice to have." but anything more concrete that anyone's heard? I know, unusual scenario.

Latest resources

Back