Air Cargo Carriers interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Elie7Elie said:
What is going to come up in the single pilot IFR flight test that is going to tell them what kind of pilot the candidate is in a 2 crew cockpit? Anyone other than Skybox with an answer?
It's going to show them that you know how to fly approaches...and are trainable. It would certainly suck to have a captain that doesn't remember to put the gear down... The HR interview shows your CRM skills, and how you interact with other people.

I hate to bust your bubble, but AWAC does the same thing - single pilot sim. Maybe when you start your own airline and control how the interviewing is done you can make it a CRM interview.

~wheelsup

P.S. The sim was easy.

EDIT:
Elie7Elie said:
previous company must have been an all cargo operations, strictly VFR operations, or in violation.
ACC's aircraft are cargo only. When I interviewed, I seem to remember them mentioening that they don't have autopilot either.

Last edited:
Elie7Elie said:
135.101 Except as provided in 135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a second in command in the aircraft.

(a) Except as provided in 135.99 and 135.111, unless two pilots are required by this chapter for operations under VFR, a person may operate an aircraft without a second in command, if it is equipped with an operative approved autopilot system and the use of that system is authorized by appropriate operations specifications.

(b) The certificate holder may apply for an amendment of its operations specifications to authorize the use of an autopilot system in place of a second in command.

rway36, why don't you go back to school and learn you regs, and perhaps I'll be your flight instructor ;)

HowlingMadMurdoc, your previous company must have been an all cargo operations, strictly VFR operations, or in violation.

This is the kind of pilot who we love to beat in the parking lot following a long day. I would not hire you. Maybe your attitude showed at the interview.

You are asking about a cargo company which is why your answers about the autopilot were answered the way they were.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU MY FRIEND

T-Gates said:
After reading your childish rants on here, I sincerley hope you didn't get hired. You sound like you will be nothing but a whiney burden to any captain you fly with.

Tell me, at 900 hours, how much CRM experience do you have? Do you know how to effectively manage and coordinate a crew? ACC is trying to put you through your paces and see how you can handle yourself. They are looking for IFR skills. How many 121/135 interviews have you even gone through? Can you effectively compare various different hiring processes?

If things went bad for you, I'm sorry. But flying night freight in a Shorts with no autopilot is no place for immaturity, or poor IFR skills. Most ACC newhires come in with little to no crew experience. That is why the hiring process is geared to that. It would be a very unfair practice to throw someone with minimal total aviation experience and expect them to work immedately in a crew.

If you thought you were treated unfairly, I'm sorry. But this is aviation, suck it up, go to other interviews and move on. I've been turned down before, and it does suck, but you should learn and grow from every experience.

Now I didn't see the original post, but if you DID get the job, drop the attitude FAST. Because any number of the line captains and IOE captains will not tolerate it. Period. That includes those who will be doing your training and your checkride.

ACC is a good company, and with good equipment and good people. I enjoyed my time there and still fly as a part-time line captain.

Don't come throwing stones if you're not prepared to come face to face with people who have the knowledge and experience to tell you to STFU. Which many of the above posters have and have done.

Cheers

DITTO

The proper thing to do was to bite my lip even though I was bashed, so appologies to all those I have offended.

speaking of CRM and interview qualifications, I can totaly understand why at 900 hours you may think that I have none of these, but I do because I worked at a non-flying position at a 121 carrier ops department for 4 years and I worked closely with the CP, DO, and Director of Training. I saw all kinds of pilots attitudes, CRM, Training, and was involved in the interview process. I went into that job with the mentality of a single pilot can do all, then quickly found out how a better pilot you are when you use your resources. Which led me to ask the question about ACC.

You are 100% correct this kind of attitude does not belong in the cockpit and I saw it coming which is why I erased the message. My intentions were simply to ask a question, not to put anyone down or any company. Then I quickly realized what it could lead to and I earased it, but not soon enough before Skybox read it.

My sim ride with ACC was fair and they threw nothing at me that would not happen in the real world. And they are a great bunch of pilots. No complaints, no excues, just a question which I erased too late.

I really wish everyone could have read what you wrote, but if it makes you happy just let me know and ill erase my response. Your orignal sounded like you were bashing the company for your problems at the interview so i responded in the same manner.

I did the sim yesterday too. I was the first one to go. I couldn't get the glide slope on the ILS to stay steady. While fixating on that I didn't get the gear down or add flaps. In the airplanes I fly we do not use flaps on the approaches. Now I understand large aircraft require flaps. I think they could have spent a little more time going over what we were going to be doing because flying that sim and looking down at the approach chart and leaning over to check the radio stack doesn't work very well. The whole setup is kinda cheap. Its not setup properly to be viewable. They need to look at the Human Factors SHEL model and see why instrument proficient pilots are doomed to fail with that sim.

It flys nothing like any sim I have flown. I have a fair amount of sim experience (CL-65, Frasca242/141, Vectors). A Frasca in Hypertwin mode is easier than this sim.

Things might have went better if they had given us time to look over the approach we were doing and giving us some time to get use to the sim.

Oh well. Looks like a good company and good people.

Last edited:
Pu##

Elie....I know my regs. I haul boxes you little B!t@#. Something you wish you could do. ACC is cargo....the regs we care about are cargo not paxs. All you whiners need to find another career. A sim is a sim. Get in there and fly it and shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!

machaf said:
I did the sim yesterday too. I was the first one to go. I couldn't get the glide slope on the ILS to stay steady. While fixating on that I didn't get the gear down or add flaps. In the airplanes I fly we do not use flaps on the approaches. Now I understand large aircraft require flaps. I think they could have spent a little more time going over what we were going to be doing because flying that sim and looking down at the approach chart and leaning over to check the radio stack doesn't work very well. The whole setup is kinda cheap. Its not setup properly to be viewable. They need to look at the Human Factors SHEL model and see why instrument proficient pilots are doomed to fail with that sim.

It flys nothing like any sim I have flown. I have a fair amount of sim experience (CL-65, Frasca241/142, Vectors).

Things might have went better if they had given us time to look over the approach we were doing and giving us some time to get use to the sim.

If able, please provide more details on the sim ride...

What airport(s)?

Is the sim utilizing Microsoft's Flight Simulator software?
(PCATD)

What was the profile? (e.g. takeoff, vectors, ILS to MAP, hold as published, etc. etc.)

--

Thanks!!

N7167L said:
If able, please provide more details on the sim ride...

What airport(s)?

Is the sim utilizing Microsoft's Flight Simulator software?
(PCATD)

What was the profile? (e.g. takeoff, vectors, ILS to MAP, hold as published, etc. etc.)

--

Thanks!!

Here are the details: Interviews know the gouge is out there, so do not expect same thing.

SIM is Flight Sim 2004 in a Baron.

Takeoff MKE. Direct to ENW VOR - " Hold on the 260 radial, 5 DME legs". After you make proper entry, vectors to ENW VOR 16/15?? Go missed. Vectored to ENW ILS 9. Nothing hard at all. Holding altitude in the sim is very difficult, it is very touchy.

machaf said:

It flys nothing like any sim I have flown. I have a fair amount of sim experience (CL-65, Frasca242/141, Vectors). A Frasca in Hypertwin mode is easier than this sim.

So your excues for not putting the gear down is....?

Remember gang, interviews are suposed to be difficult. This job is difficult at times. If it wasn't, a computer would have all our jobs by now!

And it isn't as if you didnt know what to expect, the gouge is pretty thick!

I know it is disapointing but coming on here and saying anything that could be interpreted as negitave is a bad idea! This is a small industry!

You messed up...admit it...learn form it...move on.

BTW. From what I hear, they are hiring plenty of people. So somebody knows how to fly that thing.

SET RTOP, FLAPS 15!!!

Latest resources

Back