• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Ambulance Intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When did Suncare in Yuma Az go belly up?

They were pretty much done when Silver State Helicopters went under. They had sold off their rotor wing stuff to Silver State because the new DO at Sun Care came from SSH and I heard he was getting a pretty good kickback to put the deal together.

Their Fixed Wing ambulances were piles of crap and they lost more and more contracts. By the end they were flying just a few times a month, when a couple years ago they were doing 150 a month. Its hard to sell a hospital on an old P Navajo or a 421B when your competitors are all showing up in C90's or B200.

The old man just refused to part with a nickel to make the place look like a respectable place.

Heard bad things about them. Be weary and ask lots of questions.

Please tell! I have been working for them for a while now and consider them a top notch organization!

Last edited:
r.

Their Fixed Wing ambulances were piles of crap and they lost more and more contracts. By the end they were flying just a few times a month, when a couple years ago they were doing 150 a month. Its hard to sell a hospital on an old P Navajo or a 421B when your competitors are all showing up in C90's or B200.

At one time, most Air Med in the southwest was done in 206s, sometimes landing on a road out on the rez. Then it began to go towards planes like Senecas, then after a while pressurized twins became the norm, and now its all moving towards turbines.

I was told that Eagle Air put in some orders for Eclipses, but I dont quite see that happening

I read online that Eagle Air Med bought up Guardian in Alaska, any truth to that?

So what would you guys consider "competitive" time for a job with an "A level" operator out there? For reference, I'm pushing 3000 hours total time, and I understand that this probably isn't competitive.

-Goose

So what would you guys consider "competitive" time for a job with an "A level" operator out there? For reference, I'm pushing 3000 hours total time, and I understand that this probably isn't competitive.

-Goose

I thought that it would be competitive, as well, but it's not.

I'm at the same TT as you. 3000, 1000, but no turbine time and no ATP (yet.)

Haven't gotten so much as a nibble and I've applied for every air ambulance opening that I've seen since about the middle of last year. Omniflight had a 402 opening in southern New Mexico and a 4900 furloughed Airbus FO (I think he may have been on this board) got the job and was really excited about getting it.

It was right around there that I realized I was pretty much screwed for a while.

Get the ATP and it will help you out a lot. CAAMTS (Sort of like the Argus or Wyvern of Air Med) specifies that all pilots have an ATP in order to maintain their accreditation.

Gallup Flying Service is often in need of a pilot, at least when I was in that neck of the woods. They have greatly increased their pay though since, so maybe not as hurting for people as they used to be at times.

Latest resources

Back