• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Ambulance Intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you do emergency transport long enough, you'll either destroy yourself or learn to live with death.
One thing that has helped in dealing with critical cases, never follow up.

The dude you did CPR on, don't follow up to see if the guy survived the night. The heart transport, don't research to find out if the surgery was successful. That critically ill child on the way to a treatment, don't follow up.

Don't follow up. You can't. You shouldn't (patient privacy). Many times, you don't want to know the results.

Best o'luck!

Based on what you've said, you wouldn't know them. Compliance seems somewhat outside your realm of experience, and your personal preference
Great answer Avbag, if you don't have anything intelligent to say, attack the poster, isn't this the same thing that you criticize so many other posters about?

Sorry, I have no need to stoop to your level. :rolleyes:

No doubt. You're too busy breaking regulations. You call this a personal attack. You not only stipulate that you have broken the regulation on a regular basis, but defend your practice. Truth hurts...but so could your recklessness.

Don't blame others for your unprofessionalism.

I'm afraid you miss the point avbug, when your company knowingly decides not to comply with the regulations, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the airman, like I mentioned earlier, I really doubt if there was a 135 operation in that era that was doing everything by the book, but I could be wrong. Another thing, regulations don't necessarily make an operation safe, it's up to a professional airman to do that.

I worked for companies that refused to comply with the regulation...absolutely. However, I refused to permit this. If the company couldn't comply with weather, maintenance, personnel, training, operational, or other requirements, I refused to fly, or operated the flight in accordance with the regulation.

I found that when an employer complained, it was very easy to hold the regulation over them. "You mean you're asking me to knowingly violate a regulation?" The answer, of course, was always "no." On one occasion when it came to butting heads, I left a carefully drafted letter on the owner's desk detailing the intended illegal operation. I was immediately called in and asked why I had put it in writing. They didn't like seeing thaft in writing. The subject never came up again.

I've certainly seen operators who would pencil whip a repair and push it back out of the hangar. I would write it up and push it right back in again. I'm also a mechanic and inspector with a significant background in that area, including twice as Director of Maintenance...I don't have ANY tolerance for fooling around in that respect.

I proposed a scenario at the outset of this thread regarding a woman who has been run over by her own truck after leaving an icy road, getting out,and being hit by another vehicle also leaving the road...and then subsequently suffered a heart attack. I was called on that flight, and told that if I did not pick up the patient, the patient would die. After consulting weather, which was scarce on the reservation, I determined that due to low visibilities, freezing rain, and weather at the destination airport, the flight would not be safe. I determined there was no point in taking a flight to save a life, and killing the patient enroute.

I was pressured by the owner, who visited the pilot quarters in person, who threatened to fire me, in front of the other pilots. As the senior pilot, I refused, and each pilot in turn also then refused. The Director of Maintenance (also a pilot), the only other available company officer, was then sent to the pilot quarters, in an effort to pressure me to take the flight. I continued to refuse.

I waited until the early morning hours when the ETA for the flight would have been to the destination, then rechecked the current weather. It had worsened as predicted, including a report of the only aircraft to land at the destination during that period, which was described by those on scene as "a flying ice cube." A funnel cloud or tornado had been reported west of the field.

I called the owner at home and reported what I had found, reiterated that the right decision had been made, and hung up. I saw all sorts of things take place, particularly on the reservation. I do hold a standard which is very simple; not everything that is legal is safe, not everything that is safe is legal; and if it's not legal and safe, the flight doesn't go.

I've quit jobs over the principle, and won't hesitate to do it again. Without principles, there is no integrity, and without integrity, one can hardly be a professional. I've met many who disagree, who are willing to bend the regulation by baby steps or leaps and bounds...I know quite a few who can't speak for themselves now because they are dead. Others who have been violated. Others who got away with it...and probably continue not to do so.

I choose not to.

The regulations are written in blood, and stand to be respected for a reason. They are neither capricious, nor arbitrary, nor should they be treated as such. The regulations protect more than they restrict. If I don't think a flight is legal or safe, I'll refuse it, or come up with a way to do it that is safe. I flew out of Chinle when it was dirt (it's paved now). On more than one occasion I required a patient to be moved to Window Rock, for example, due to the runway condition at Chinle. I flew to Window Rock, flew the approach, and picked up the patient for transport to ABQ. Upon return, I was able to verify the runway had frozen and could support the airplane, and returned the patient or crew to Chinle. Never without doing so legally, and safely.

To do otherwise would be careless and reckless. I've spent much of my career doing activities in demanding conditions, such as aerial firefighting, and I understand mission demands and requirements very, very well. I also know that there is no mission that MUST be flown, and I know when to say yes, and when to say no. When it comes time to say no, it's not a decision that's open for debate, and there is NO room for arguement. It's a done deal. If an employer cannot live with that, the employer can find someone else; it's a principle on which I do not bend.

As the senior pilot, I refused, and each pilot in turn also then refused.

Do you think you are the only one that has turned down a flight? Maybe you want a medal or something, pull your head out of the sand mate, anyone that has come up through the GA ranks has had to do this kind of stuff, whether air ambulance, freight etc, you must think you are special, it’s called paying your dues.

I've quit jobs over the principle

Great, actually most people do quit jobs over principle, that hardly qualifies you for anything, and again, most everyone has had to do this but for some reason you think you are special.

I flew out of Chinle when it was dirt (it's paved now). On more than one occasion I required a patient to be moved to Window Rock, for example, due to the runway condition at Chinle. I flew to Window Rock, flew the approach, and picked up the patient for transport to ABQ. Upon return, I was able to verify the runway had frozen and could support the airplane, and returned the patient or crew to Chinle. Never without doing so legally, and safely.

Here again you assume that you deserve an award for being safe, and yes I am familiar with every airport available in that area, I operated an MU2 Marquise out of Showlow into the the old airport at all hours of the day and night, do I think I’m special, ah, NO.

The bottom line is you are not half as special as you think you are, take a chill pill mate, the more you write, the more you embarrass yourself.

Last edited:
Here again you assume that you deserve an award for being safe, and yes I am familiar with every airport available in that area, I operated an MU2 Marquise out of Showlow into the the old airport at all hours of the day and night, do I think I’m special, ah, NO.

There you go again. More assumptions. I said nothing about being special. Merely complying with the regulation.

If you find compliance with the regulation to be trick, fancy, and special...well...at least your consistently unprofessional. You advocate breaking regualtions...and find following them to be "special." Again...how enlightening.

Great, actually most people do quit jobs over principle, that hardly qualifies you for anything, and again, most everyone has had to do this but for some reason you think you are special.

You assume too much. Again, I said nothing about that being a "special" trait or act. In fact, I would expect it from any responsible adult professional. Anybody but you, who openly embraces illegal operation. Again...perhaps you really do find doing one's job responsibly and adhering to the regulation to be unusual or unique...but that would be your own personal problem.

Do you think you are the only one that has turned down a flight?

No, I don't, and I said no such thing. Not even a hint. Again with the assumption on your part.

You stipulated that all operators act illegally. That may or may not be. I don't. You stipulate that you break the regulation. I don't. You find that special...that says a lot about you.

anyone that has come up through the GA ranks has had to do this kind of stuff, whether air ambulance, freight etc, you must think you are special, it’s called paying your dues.

Anyone that has come up through the ranks has had to do what? Turn down flights or break regulations? Turning down flights isn't paying dues. It's being responsible. Breaking regulations isn't paying one's dues either. It's just stupid.

Wow you need to quit the assumption BS your making yourself look even more stupid than people already think you are. I don't think it was an accident that your "friends" died avbug they just couldn't put up with a dbag like you anymore and there only way out was "accidentally" dying in a plane crash.

Wow you need to quit the assumption BS your making yourself look even more stupid than people already think you are. I don't think it was an accident that your "friends" died avbug they just couldn't put up with a dbag like you anymore and there only way out was "accidentally" dying in a plane crash.

Congratulations. You just went a little too far. Your true character and your true colors show.

I believe I'm done with you, and with the thread.

Latest resources

Back