• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age limitation for 91K

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is the major problem I have with this argument. I see the guys bitching about needing to work past 65 because of financial problems ect. At no point is the basic factor of being fit to fly at the focus of this. Its all about earning enough money, which there never seems to be an adequate amount.

All standards have to be set for the average person. Sure some are just as good at 30 as they are at 80. Some are crappy at 20 and never get any better. However Its still a jet/turbo prop and it still can kill someone in the air and on the ground. There needs to be cutoff just like 121.

Anyone that thinks its ok for someone over 65 to be flying with another over 60 or single pilot is smoke'n some good stuff.

How does he test for neurological impairment? Is he required to or is that just "his deal". I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever been checked unless it's just done through casual conversation. Does it start at a certain age?

Truly curious...

Not that big a deal. It's basically an expanded field sobriety test.
Close your eyes, stretch out tour arms and touch the tip of your nose with each index finger.
Stand with feet together, eyes closed and arms outstretched for 15 seconds.
Take 50 steps in place with eyes closed and arms outstretched.

My AME is a former USAF flight surgeon. He's been doing this for the 12 years I've been going to him.

This appears like a vestibular system check, I don't see the connection with cognitive processes.

Brain function test

Doctor: "We'll now check your cognitive process for signs of mental impairment. Hop on one foot, wave your arms, and whistle 'Dixie'."

Pilot: "That's absurd, and I refuse to do it!"

Doctor: "Good. You passed."

My point is called self-control, not "i had 3 ex-wives...". The problem is when you're an F/O making $50k-$65K, which is fairly good money, and you upgrade to captain making $100k+, don't go out and buy a bmw 650 convertible with the extra money you make. These are the morons I speak of and, the old guy that "left" flex lived on the beach in PBI, had a 45 foot sailboat, etc...

My point is, have some control and set limits and be smart. If you already had 2 wives, then it might be time to open a bank account in grand cayman before you marry the future ex #3. Again, these are the idiots I speak of and, flexjet is FULL OF THEM.

My point is called self-control, not "i had 3 ex-wives...". The problem is when you're an F/O making $50k-$65K, which is fairly good money, and you upgrade to captain making $100k+, don't go out and buy a bmw 650 convertible with the extra money you make. These are the morons I speak of and, the old guy that "left" flex lived on the beach in PBI, had a 45 foot sailboat, etc...

My point is, have some control and set limits and be smart. If you already had 2 wives, then it might be time to open a bank account in grand cayman before you marry the future ex #3. Again, these are the idiots I speak of and, flexjet is FULL OF THEM.

Yo Art, ease up a little on the more mature guys as a group. I agree with you this particular guy was way over the hill at 70+. He had lost it. But there are lots of "older guys", fiftys and sixtys, who are still way sharp. Remember you can't teach experience and judgement. Some of the "young" captains are seriously lacking in those areas.

This appears like a vestibular system check, I don't see the connection with cognitive processes.

I'm no expert, but I'm told by several medical practitioners that a decline in the vestibular functions, as demonstrated by declining ability in performing these "tests", is a fairly reliable marker for the onset of neurological problems.

I'm no expert, but I'm told by several medical practitioners that a decline in the vestibular functions, as demonstrated by declining ability in performing these "tests", is a fairly reliable marker for the onset of neurological problems.

Yup, no expert for sure.
IMHO there would be a problem with designing a test with the appropriate level of sensitivity.
It appears from many of the posts in this thread, are inspired specifically by greed.

Yo Art, ease up a little on the more mature guys as a group. I agree with you this particular guy was way over the hill at 70+. He had lost it. But there are lots of "older guys", fiftys and sixtys, who are still way sharp. Remember you can't teach experience and judgement. Some of the "young" captains are seriously lacking in those areas.

I won't argue with you there, I'm talking about the 70+ crowd and those late 60's guys that can't even lift bags because of arthritis.

It appears from many of the posts in this thread, are inspired specifically by greed.

Are you referring to the greed of pilots who are flying when they should be retired? (I am referring to those that are 65+ and are past their prime.) Or are younger guys the only ones who are greedy?

Airlines have to retire at 65. Why have a separate set of regs for non-airline pilots? BS. Save money while you are working. Enjoy flying until you can't, then retire. Don't fly past your prime. That's what this discussion is really about.

Are you referring to the greed of pilots who are flying when they should be retired? (I am referring to those that are 65+ and are past their prime.) Or are younger guys the only ones who are greedy?

Airlines have to retire at 65. Why have a separate set of regs for non-airline pilots? BS. Save money while you are working. Enjoy flying until you can't, then retire. Don't fly past your prime. That's what this discussion is really about.

IMO there are no "tests" that exist that are sensitive enough to define "past prime".
Except for the ones that that the pious and greedy, make up on anonymous internet message boards.

Why not go up and say this to the individuals you single out as flying past their prime?
Folks need your job too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back