Age and regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

idratherfly4283

Just turned 22, I have about 1000tt and 250 multi. Are the regionals looking to hire older pilots that have the same time over younger pilots? I'm considering 135 because lack of callbacks and what seems to be hiring freezes. I would love to work 121 off the bat due to QOL but doesn't seem like it'll happen. Are there any companies that hire with these times besides the ones I have already applied: chq, asa, mesaba, pinnacle?

Thanks

You are low time, there are a lot of furloughed or otherwise qualified 121 people who you are competing with. They will tend to get called before a lower time guy will (there are exceptions, so keep applying), it has nothing to do with age. If you really want to work for a 121 company keep flying and keep your resumes up-to-date, they will call eventually.

You could also try XJT if you want to come here. Or Comair, Eagle and Colgan to name a few others that might not totally suck.Good luck.

Apply to Colgan. We hire many with your time. Come fly the Beech or Saab for a year, get 800 more hours, then either stay here or be more competitive for another outfit.

I believe CommutAir's still hiring if you can stand working on a 1900 for a while. They're a blast to fly, but a little lacking in the creature comforts. Minimum are 900TT/100ME, so you qualify.

http://www.commutair.com/employment_pilots.html

Pay is wretched, of course... Maintenance is top-notch, though. You'll definitely live to be 23 here. :D

I'd certainly keep trying for something better, but it's something to consider.

Last edited:
Quality of time?

Maybe they are looking at the Quality of time, You definitely meet every commuters time requirements, We (PSA) were the last to be looking for 1500 and 250 and we recently lowered as well. At recent Airinc, Asa announced 600 and 100, so have you updated recently? We have hired a few guys with 600 TT and the one that comes to mind right off was Military w/ 500 Heavy Multi (this is what I mean with Quality of time!) I not saying that having 500 Heavy is it but you need something to set yourself apart. The reason most companies are Gun shy from Low time is because Lower time guys (not all) usually have difficulty with training. You take a guy that has been Instructing in Light singles and Twins and try to put them in a regional jet training program and they are usually overwhelmed by Auto Pilot, Glass, FMS, 2 man crew, Etc. < Before the Flaming post start, I know a lot of you guys have done it but I also know a lot of guys who didn't make it, We have a lot of guys that Interview here that washed out somewhere else, We have also washed a few as well>. Most (Not all) would like guys with Formal training background Like University Program or Structured training. Also reason why Regionals are grabbing guys from All-Atp's and similar programs ( I believe Riddle and Flight Safety now have a RJ training course to name a few) How much of your time is in the King Air??
Send resumes out again, You should here back Soon!
Good Luck,
PSACPSP

idratherfly4283 said:
Just turned 22, I have about 1000tt and 250 multi. Are the regionals looking to hire older pilots that have the same time over younger pilots? I'm considering 135 because lack of callbacks and what seems to be hiring freezes. I would love to work 121 off the bat due to QOL but doesn't seem like it'll happen. Are there any companies that hire with these times besides the ones I have already applied: chq, asa, mesaba, pinnacle?

Thanks

I forgot!

If interested here........ [email protected]
Good Luck,
PSACPSP
PSAChiefPilots said:
Maybe they are looking at the Quality of time, You definitely meet every commuters time requirements, We (PSA) were the last to be looking for 1500 and 250 and we recently lowered as well. At recent Airinc, Asa announced 600 and 100, so have you updated recently? We have hired a few guys with 600 TT and the one that comes to mind right off was Military w/ 500 Heavy Multi (this is what I mean with Quality of time!) I not saying that having 500 Heavy is it but you need something to set yourself apart. The reason most companies are Gun shy from Low time is because Lower time guys (not all) usually have difficulty with training. You take a guy that has been Instructing in Light singles and Twins and try to put them in a regional jet training program and they are usually overwhelmed by Auto Pilot, Glass, FMS, 2 man crew, Etc. < Before the Flaming post start, I know a lot of you guys have done it but I also know a lot of guys who didn't make it, We have a lot of guys that Interview here that washed out somewhere else, We have also washed a few as well>. Most (Not all) would like guys with Formal training background Like University Program or Structured training. Also reason why Regionals are grabbing guys from All-Atp's and similar programs ( I believe Riddle and Flight Safety now have a RJ training course to name a few) How much of your time is in the King Air??
Send resumes out again, You should here back Soon!
Good Luck,
PSACPSP

I have somewhat quality time for someone with my time, I have 60 turbine pic, 30 turbine with fms, and glass usage. I worked with nasa testing instruments around thunderstorms in a C-90 and have done various flight tests on approachs and other systems. It is getting the company to look at the cover letter accompanied with the resume. I am set apart from the regular CFI because of some real world experience, although small.

Latest resources

Back