Age and regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IRF,

Congratulations on such an early start to your career. You've recieved some excellent advice here; the best company is the first one that hires you.

As to your 135 vs. 121 dilema, perhaps I may be of some assistance. (Reference my profile) I did the 135 thing for almost 7 years. It was a great experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Flying around in the clouds by yourself at 3 AM with the boxes will teach you a ton about flying. So will the 14th hour of duty, flying the 10th hour of flight time in some ancient round-dial turbojet shooting a non-radar VOR/DME approach into some Central American airport. That having been said, you'll have little control over your life and will be a slave to the pager. (No 15 hour reserve callout window, they own your butt 24/7.) Some folks are able to do this indefinitely, my limit was 66 months, after that I took a HUGE pay cut to downgrade to the right seat of a WSCOD, and have been 100% delighted with my choice.

The 121 flying is great too. You sleep at night and fly during the day, not to mention you have some control over your life. (At a 135 company, you may be the only meat in the seat left. if that happens, you're doin' the flight.) If you find a position at one of the more reputable carriers at your age, you could have a great career. You will also learn quite a bit about aviation flying 90 hours a month in a modern, automated RJ with a nice standardized crewforce and excellent training. SF & FSI do a good job for the charter folks, but the 121 initial (Depending on who hires you) is usually much better.

A lot depends on your long term goals. Keep in mind the move from 135 to 121 is a little easier than the reverse. (Some in the charter industry have a big "us vs. them" chip on their shoulder, the same holds true for some part 91 operators.)

One last piece of advice. There are, on both sides of the coin, some scumbag bottom-feeding operators. Do some research, ask around, find out who those folks might be, and do not work at those places. You want to grow old with your certificates in your pocket.

Good Luck! let me know if I can help.

PS- It's the journey, not the destination.;)

Last edited:
I think I know the answer to my delima, I have always been the type to work hard and reap the rewards. I think those who put there time in, gain the most. It does not matter if you are cfi'ing, or a freight dog, whatever it is, if it makes you happy, do it. At the end of the day I am just looking to put food on the plate. I work to live, not live to work... and with that said I hope what is meant to happen, happens.

I'm impressed. a BE350 type rating at 1000hrs. This a/c requires a type, and pic cannot be logged without the type.

With that type rating you should be able to open a few 121 doors.

C90's don't require a type unless they are over 12,5 do they?

If interviewing, I would be curious as well. But, he has an explanation.

I had Caravan PIC before I had 400 hours and an instrument rating, but in reality all I had was a little time in the left seat. The owner of the airplane was never too far away to lose sight of the ITT indication.

ASA is short on FO's. I'm sure they would consider him favorably.

relax idrather...i would guess he didn't carefully read your profile. the "pic" time in question is probably in the C-90. it doesn't matter anyway, you aren't going to get a job because of few hours of time in a plane unless you are applying for a job flying that specific model. i'm sure anyone with half a brain can tell that you were flying, legally logging pic, but if that the sheit hit the fan you wouldn't have touched anything except the mic button.

OK, hijack...

Which airlines will hire pilots under the age of 21? Specifically, 20 years old, assuming 1000 hours total time, 300 multi, 200 hours turbine with a type rating?

I'm about the same age as you are. I'm at PCL and waiting to turn 23 and get my PIC time up to mins to upgrade.

Latest resources

Back