Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JumpersAway

Cruise Bores Me.......
I know someone posted that Canada pushed the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots up to 67, due to age discrimination issues. I was just told by a chief pilot that it's being kicked around here in the states too- more so by ICAO than anyone else. I was also told that it was to go into effect prior to the lapse of age 65.

Does anyone know the specifics on this, as far as status and who exactly is looking at making this law?

Canada still has the age 65 rule for airline pilots. In March the Canadian government extended the minimum age for retirement benefits for Canadians from 65 to 67, using the justification of people living longer and being more of a strain on the system. it was part of a $5.2 billion federal cut program.

Air Canada still has a age 60 retirement policy in place that so far has superseded the federal law.

I keep hearing this rumor from old farts hoping to die with a yoke in their hand. I guess so they don't have to spend any time at home with their wives.

It's not happening, though. In order to happen, they would have had to start the process minimum 2 years ago.

There is no Federally mandated retirement age for airline pilots in Canada. The change from 65 to 67 has to do only with Federally sponsored retirement benefit programs (CPP and OAS). The Federal government passed legislation that comes into effect in December 2012 that mandatory retirement age policy for federally regulated employees (airlines included) is illegal (except in the case where a BFOR argument is upheld by the CHRT). Air Canada and all other airlines are in the process of negotiating and implementing changes to collective agreements that will be compliant factoring in ICAO crew pairing restrictions for international flights.

I know someone posted that Canada pushed the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots up to 67, due to age discrimination issues. I was just told by a chief pilot that it's being kicked around here in the states too- more so by ICAO than anyone else. I was also told that it was to go into effect prior to the lapse of age 65.

Does anyone know the specifics on this, as far as status and who exactly is looking at making this law?

Sure as long as the over 60 can pass a REAL 1st class med. I've flown with several over 60 pilots, and I can tell you they are just along for the ride. They don't care if they bust an FAR, and show up for check rides un-prepared. They claim that they can punch-out anytime since their game has been on overtime.

Well if this is the case for the US in the long run, then the company will have the right to make there own retirement policy. Cost will rise. Unless the Govt wants to re regulate the industry.

Well if this is the case for the US in the long run, then the company will have the right to make there own retirement policy. Cost will rise. Unless the Govt wants to re regulate the industry.
Sounds like the right way to go. Let each airline decide what they want as a retirement age. It doesn't prohibit the pilot from working in their field, it just limits the age at which they can work for a given company.

Folks need to stop looking to the government to guard their cheese, that's not a function of government.

Asked a friend at the local FSDO and he said he's heard absolutely NOTHING about changing the age from 65 to 67. The Air Canada issue is explained above. For those of you hoping to get another 2 years you should've planned better. To think after the 5 year bonus you just got and now you STILL can't make ends meet?!?!? Seriously, there is nothing we can do for you. Rip the band-aid off and move on.

Latest resources

Back