Age 67?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought you were trying to flame me.

His flying skill is below average, he falls asleep quite often, sometimes below 18, his work inside the plane is the worst. Wont clean or throw bags.

I would guess he has a friend pencil whip his medical, as he doesnt appear too healthy.

He is a nice guy, and easy to have a beer with, but just doesnt realize it is time too quit.

No worries- hard to gauge tone online-

And this is why I say no one >60 should be PIC- humans are just not good at evaluating their own aging. We're better at health- bc being sick or hurt is temporary- acknowledging a permanent, inevitable decline-
I won't be good at that

I believe a pilot over 60 should be an FO. If he has to be monitored then he shouldn't be pic.
That is because all pilots at 59, 11 months and 29 days are 100% capable and all pilot two days later are incompetent.

I have done line training and line checks on pilots on the Boeing that are between age 60-65. There is no difference between them and the ones under age 60. If a pilot is marginal then chronology is rarely a factor.

I have done line training and line checks on pilots on the Boeing that are between age 60-65. There is no difference between them and the ones under age 60. If a pilot is marginal then chronology is rarely a factor.
Hey stop that this is FI, we do not deal in reality here, only in the fantasy of a world that does not exist.

Sure as long as the over 60 can pass a REAL 1st class med. I've flown with several over 60 pilots, and I can tell you they are just along for the ride. They don't care if they bust an FAR, and show up for check rides un-prepared. They claim that they can punch-out anytime since their game has been on overtime.

I agree with the issue of passing a real medical exam.

I have made a lot of heavy handed remarks about age. And honestly, some guys are just fine above 65 and some have real issues. The problem is that the ones with the issues (e.g. lost night vision, hearing issues, memory lose, reaction skill lose, falling asleep repeating at all hours during flight) are not aware of their issues are try to hide them. I've flown with guys who have admitted they have disqualifying health issues and are waiting for a good time to punch out on disability. Way to go to fly safely and milk the company.

Just as when you get older you have to get checked for a 1st class medical more frequently, just as you get older you have to get an EKG, I think if you want to work beyond the part 121 retirement age than you have to take further medical test from regular doctors.

I would feel just fine flying with someone 65+ if they were cleared by both a primary care physician and an AME.

Chronology is rarely a factor!

Really?

How many 80 year olds have passed one of your line checks? If they roll up to the sim in a wheelchair, with a valid First Class, and do okay, should they be flying your family around?

Can you really sit here and say on a public forum, that pilots above age 70 have the same reactions as a middle age pilot? Or have enough reactions to be a safe pilot?

Awaiting your answers.:erm:

And for credibility sake, how old are you and we're you a captain at your airline in December, 2007.

This is an incredible statement that you've seen no pilot suffering from age related issue

December 2007? In my forties.

I have no personal experience with pilots over age 65. My airline, like all other Canadian airlines, is going to have to deal with the impact of legislation that has banned fixed retirement age in the Federal workplace. However, we will have to comply with the ICAO standards for crewing international flights.

At my airline the medical screening process appears to be working. The incidence of pilot disability does clearly increase with age. But those that can meet the standard get to come to work if they pass the technical standard every 6 months. When should it end? The Federal Government has said that assigning a number is now illegal.

December 2007? In my forties.

I have no personal experience with pilots over age 65. My airline, like all other Canadian airlines, is going to have to deal with the impact of legislation that has banned fixed retirement age in the Federal workplace. However, we will have to comply with the ICAO standards for crewing international flights.

At my airline the medical screening process appears to be working. The incidence of pilot disability does clearly increase with age. But those that can meet the standard get to come to work if they pass the technical standard every 6 months. When should it end? The Federal Government has said that assigning a number is now illegal.
Thank you, again this supports the fact that the aging process is not uniform. We have many pilots flying today at age 55 who less less capable than those at age 65. Yes by the time a pilot turns 80 he is most likely less capable than a 45 year old pilot.

As per an old post, if this is all about the highest possible level of safety, we take the age of pilot that experiences an in-flight incapacitation, say a heart attack at age 47, and that becomes the new retirement age.

But to set a mandatory retirement age is pure "Get out of my seat"

Why does everyone think the old fart's AME is corrupt, but their's is spot-on accurate?

You could require all of the tested parameters to be administered by machine with the results sent unfiltered to FAA Aeromedical (as EKGs are), but then you'd probably down some young guys too, and we can't have that.

Do you want a blip in the machine to instantly put you on disability while you jump through the hoops to get your medical back, or do you want to give AME's both the latitude to deal with such glitches and the benefit of the doubt that they are honest enough to withhold giving a medical to someone who is unfit to fly?

But I'm still preaching to the group of guys who the world is out to screw 'em and the government can be trusted to keep their best interests at heart.

But for the record, I advocate the companies themselves determining the criteria for hiring and retirement.

Latest resources

Back