• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 67?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Or we could keep the system we've had for decades and not change bc baby boomers decided it was unfair for just them

Or we could keep the system we've had for decades and not change bc baby boomers decided it was unfair for just them
or we could back to the system we had for decades the before age 60 rule of 1958. No age restrictions, of course ALPA fought to repeal the age rule of 1958 until the early 70's.

Fair enough yip- my argument stands on it's own and there is plenty to disagree with on all sides.

I simply believe that no pilot should captain >60, but ought to be able to fly as long as they want.

Why does everyone think the old fart's AME is corrupt, but their's is spot-on accurate?

We all "know" the AME system is corrupt, that's why every few weeks there is a post on here "looking for an AME" in whatever city because some AME retired or whatever. Every major city in this country has got 2 dozen or more AME's, the names are easy to find...we are looking for the ones that keep the answer key to the vision chart taped to the table next to the vision test machine.

When you're in poor health, corrupt AME's allow you to keep flying when you probably shouldn't, when you're in pretty good health like me, using corrupt AME's mean you get the medical certificate faster than you can count the money for the exam.

We have hard rules in place to act as a backstop when it is hard to make a judgment when the thing you are trying to judge actually lowers your capability to make a judgment.

That's why we have rest rules and duty time limitations as a final back stop to prevent pilots flying fatigued. That's why we have 8 hours bottles-to-throttles as a backstop for pilots flying under the influence...and that's why we need an age limit as a backstop for pilots flying too old.

As far as elderly drivers, I would support an age limit on driving, I think the public would, and I also belive there is plenty of evidence to support this, there is just no political will to do this. Why piss of the demographic that votes in the highest numbers percentage-wise.

We have hard rules in place to act as a backstop when it is hard to make a judgment when the thing you are trying to judge actually lowers your capability to make a judgment.

That's why we have rest rules and duty time limitations as a final back stop to prevent pilots flying fatigued. That's why we have 8 hours bottles-to-throttles as a backstop for pilots flying under the influence...and that's why we need an age limit as a backstop for pilots flying too old.

Everyone read this again^^^^

I've been flailing out here with the half-cocked emotion of DALPAs unfortunate TA and in the years we've all been debating- I've never seen the argument stated as well as this.

Well done couple of paragraphs Ig

As far as elderly drivers, I would support an age limit on driving, I think the public would, and I also belive there is plenty of evidence to support this, there is just no political will to do this. Why piss of the demographic that votes in the highest numbers percentage-wise.
Senior drivers are self policing, they start to restrict their driving when they recognize their growing limitations. They are much saver drivers than young drivers under 24, and not much different than the 25-64 age group. The same applies to piltos I know, they hang it up when they feel they are not as good to meet potential challenges. This is all about get out of my seat. But when you use the word "Safety" then anyone who posts a different opinion, is now branded as anti-safety.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070719115903.htm

BTW This guy gets it. Originally Posted by X-rated

Human beings of all ages make mistakes; young, old, and everywhere in between. The question you really need to be asking is, what age group of professional multi crew pilots have the most fatal accidents. The NTSB documents the age of every airman involved in an accident or incident, so the data is available. Instead, you focus solely on pilot incapacitation, and conclude older pilots are more unsafe than younger pilots. The problem is, you failed to consider incidents that contradict your theory like the two youngsters who zoom climbed an RJ to FL410. The 31 year old Captain and 23 year old SIC flamed out and seized both engines, and then failed to find a single suitable place to land from FL410. I also must have missed it when you included the Colgan accident in Buffalo involving a 47 year old captain with 3300 TT and a 24 year old First Officer with 1400 hours TT. Do you really think it's likely two high time 65 year old pilots would have made the same mistakes? I think it highly unlikely.

I personally don't have the desire or time to do the kind of research required, but then again, I don't write Congressmen and the FAA railing against older pilots when I have no actual data to support my conclusions. In my opinion, you're just another nut with an agenda.

This is all about get out of my seat.

Say something enough times it becomes true, right, yip? I'll humor you for a minute, though, let's suppose it is strictly about "get out of my seat". When the current gummers (for instance, you, and by you I mean your kind, not necessarily you personally since we know you're sensitive to personal stuff) benefited from age 60 being in place and took the seats from the gummers of the time, that wasn't all about "get out of my seat", right? That was about "my time has come", right? It's only about "get of my seat" now, because now your kind are in a sling.

It's about greed, yip, plain and simple. I had a 63.5 year-old-fossil recently tell me "well, I got kids in college, I gotta keep working". So I asked if had age sixty stayed in place he would have pulled them kids out of college. The answer (not surprisingly) was no. Which means he doesn't have to work, he chooses to. As a result of that, at least one person got downgraded and one hit the street.

But we're the greedy ones, to hear you and your kind tell it. Any of you ever hear of integrity?

But we're the greedy ones, to hear you and your kind tell it. Any of you ever hear of integrity?
Greed is in the eyes of the beholder, one ones greed is another man's rightful compensation. BTW I know all about Integrity, it is the Aircraft Carrier tied up in the Hudson River, I landed on ones just like it.:laugh:

Latest resources

Back