• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 67?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These guys benefited from age 60 retirements their entire careers and then were granted an additional five. Now they want more. We've been duped fellas...

Does anyone honestly think these same guys at 45 years old would have been willing to delay their upgrade for five years or more? What a joke...it would have been bloody murder. Now their agenda has changed as they near 65. Now that's a big surprise isn't it?

Well, in this country the issue is still in the air and we even had several unions who voted on whether to support the current change-
You gave your opinion that you see no age related decline and I find that incredible- I've witnessed a decline from age 30 to 40 in my own memory- so IMO you're dodging valid questions

Early onset dementia needs to be reported. :eek:

So you're saying that age related decline is an individual thing and should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis rather than a blanket policy that really does nothing to enhance safety?

Absolutely not. And I find it amazingly selfish that geezers want to subject the entire profession to increased scrutiny and establish a far larger beauracracy to judge pilot health and abilities, bc they don't think a statistically based retirement age is fair.

Again, I've never had an accident- should I lobby to require my DMV to assess my reaction times and multi tasking abilities so that I may legally speed and text while driving? Or are valid statistics and common sense enough to set blanket laws that everyone must comply with?

How do you justify the age discrimination at 22 years old given your argument- wouldn't your position be that each pilots matures individually. Hell, why have minimum flight time requirements for an ATP or job application since we all know pilots develop differently over time in the aircraft- all hours are not equal- 1500TT, 2500TT, and 1000TPIC are all blanket discriminations based on the performance of the entire pilot population over decades. Don't you have to argue to erase these roadblocks for a mature, talented, knowledgeable 21 yo, if you are to remain credible that all pilots ought to be evaluated in all ways individually?

Why can't you answer these arguments? Why ignore and dodge like Yip does if your argument is so rational and sound?

Most importantly why can't any geezer admit that they won't be good at evaluating their own age related decline?

How irresponsible to allow these pilots to captain into old age.

Why can't you answer these arguments? Why ignore and dodge like Yip does if your argument is so rational and sound?

Most importantly why can't any geezer admit that they won't be good at evaluating their own age related decline?

This sounds like pure "Get out of my seat";) Did you not just a few posts above agree that pilots do not age at the same rate, and that there may be 55 year pilots not as sharp as 64 year old pilots? Talk about dodging and ignoring and the black pot and the black kettle

BTW: Question for everyone, where did the 23 years old ATR come from. I think E. Gann when writing about his AAL flying in the late 30's talked about that magic 23 year old age that allowed a person to temp fate?

Please :) its natural

Unless.... You're the one person older than 30 who is sharper today than he was 10 years ago
So a 32 year old pilot is not as sharp as he was at 22? I know that experience I gained in my 20's made me a much better pilot when I turned 30, I would like that is the case with most. I think isn't age 27-29 the peak performance age for an athlete? Would that not also apply to pilots peak physical capabilities, not peak mental?

Last edited:
67+ is inevitable. I expect it to change within the next 5 years.
The 'fairest' and least detrimental method of implementation of another age change is to increase the age incrementally - for instance one month increase every 3 months. If the age change was implemented in this manner, it would take 6 years to fully implement.

Andy, these guys must be stopped. Our furlough must end. This can't be inevitable. At least we have to "go down swinging."

Andy, these guys must be stopped. Our furlough must end. This can't be inevitable. At least we have to "go down swinging."

Pandora's Box has been opened. Fly 'til you die is the future. I'd love to say something different but that's reality. The best that can be done is to make future changes less of a windfall for a few at the expense of others.
The best solution that I can come up with is a graduated age change - increase retirement age by one month each quarter (4 months/yr). If you have a better idea to implement future changes, I'm open to suggestions.

No- fly til you die might happen- eventually- but not for this current crowd- and no one should captain after 60. Period.
No one will answer whether they'll be good at evaluating their own age related decline, bc they know they won't be. Therefore, pilots should not be able to captain past 60- let captains monitor their FOs as they age.
But I refuse to monitor someone who has authority over me and gets paid more than I do.

But I refuse to monitor someone who has authority over me and gets paid more than I do.
But isn't that exactly what you are doing for pay right now, being a good PM?

Latest resources

Back