• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You always sidestep Yip-
I am not paid to evaluate my captain's abilities as they age

You always sidestep Yip-
I am not paid to evaluate my captain's abilities as they age
I guess I misunderstood your post that "But I refuse to monitor someone who has authority over me and gets paid more than I do".

I thought that is why PM's are paid to be in the cockpit? To watch that Captain who makes more money than they do and has ultimate authority in the cockpit? Did not see anything about evaluating the aging process in that statement.

Pandora's Box has been opened. Fly 'til you die is the future.
No, the future is AMR's proposed sick policy - 2 sicks then STD. Once that gets put into effect (and it will be the young F/O's who will gladly trade the sick policy for a higher book rate) it will be the bellweather for all other carriers. The CAs that are truly a threat will see it's not worth it to stick around and get their pay wacked every month. The one's who remain fit to fly will do it.

I'd expect more stringent medical standards to come along as well tied to the dumping of pilots into ObamaCare.

So no one will Fly Till They Die, but they will likely reduce the number of firetruck salutes on retirement, since they rarely do that as you leave the doctor's office.

Try and keep up Yip.
With you, no way possible, I mean no has worked as hard you, and driven their career to its present heights without one intervention of luck. No sir no way a lowely non-sked freight dawg like me could ever keep up with you. I am just an average guy who has been very lucky to be where I am now, and no way I could even think about comparing myself to an above average person such as you.:p

No, the future is AMR's proposed sick policy - 2 sicks then STD. Once that gets put into effect (and it will be the young F/O's who will gladly trade the sick policy for a higher book rate) it will be the bellweather for all other carriers. The CAs that are truly a threat will see it's not worth it to stick around and get their pay wacked every month. The one's who remain fit to fly will do it.

I'd expect more stringent medical standards to come along as well tied to the dumping of pilots into ObamaCare.

So no one will Fly Till They Die, but they will likely reduce the number of firetruck salutes on retirement, since they rarely do that as you leave the doctor's office.

We'll see. Obamacare has to get past the Supreme Court first; I'll wait to see how they rule.

I don't expect any changes to medical standards. Not that it matters; the current ones are a joke.

In Congress, both sides of the aisle will be in favor of higher retirement ages because it delays the Social Security meltdown.
AARP, the most powerful voice in DC, is in favor of abolishing any mandatory retirement age - it doesn't matter which profession we're talking about.

More medical outs? Very likely. And straight from airline medical coverage to medicare so Obamacare isn't even a part of the equation.
As for Fly Til You Die, that's already happening. We've had an increase in pilots dying while in active employment since late 2008. Not necessarily at the controls, but dying while still an active employee. Same thing in my book. With each bump in the age limit, we'll have higher incidence of active employee pilots ending their careers due to mortality.

If you think about it, this 'plan' works beautifully for saving the Social Security Trust Fund and for airline management because it reduces training costs. We are our own worst enemies.

More medical outs? Very likely. And straight from airline medical coverage to medicare so Obamacare isn't even a part of the equation.

Correct. Obamacare has nothing to do with it. Medicare covers folks 65 and over and has been around since 1965. Which is why I like to refer to it as "Johnsoncare". It just has a nice ring to it.

These guys benefited from age 60 retirements their entire careers and then were granted an additional five. Now they want more. We've been duped fellas...

No, you have it wrong. Those guys had a God-given right to the seats of the gummers of their day, but we don't have that right, because we're deeply inferior and are greedy bastards who just want everyone with more than five gray hairs to "get out of our seats".

Just ask yip.

Latest resources

Back