• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Revolution devours it's own.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crap I wish they would of gotten rid of this guy a year earlier.

Maybe than I would not be furloughed. (Dobut it though)

It used to be "eat the rich", I think the way things are going nowadays, with the greedy old farts everywhere, it'll be "eat the old".

While i'm not a big fan of Mr. Stevens he did get it right with respect to age 65 in my opinion. If you want to retire at 60 do it. Those of us who are healthy and want to continue flying shouldn't arbitrarily be told we have to quit at a certain point for no good reason. I'm a younger guy by the way so i'm not really all that affected by the change.

I had the privilege of flying with a super nice gentleman who was retired at 60 and was fortunate to get hired at this little supplemental a couple years later as a captain.

He was in phenomenal physical shape. But in the cockpit, you could clearly see the signs of aging/slowing down. The man should have been a poster boy for maintaining age 60 rule. Frankly, flying with this captain, while fun enroute, required excessive amount of babysitting from the right seat.

I'm sorry, but we're not captains in the right seat, and doubling or tripling our work load because your marbles aren't spinning fast enough anymore is not exactly contributing to safety - quite the opposite, it's dangerous.

I stand by what I've been saying all along - for every one pilot over 60 that is truly good to go, there are at least 4 or so that should hang up their headsets.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of flying with a super nice gentleman who was retired at 60 and was fortunate to get hired at this little supplemental a couple years later as a captain.

He was in phenomenal physical shape. But in the cockpit, you could clearly see the signs of aging/slowing down. The man should have been a poster boy for maintaining age 60 rule. Frankly, flying with this captain, while fun enroute, required excessive amount of babysitting from the right seat.

I'm sorry, but we're not captains in the right seat, and doubling or tripling our work load because your marbles aren't spinning fast enough anymore is not exactly contributing to safety - quite the opposite, it's dangerous.

I stand by what I've been saying all along - for every one pilot over 60 that is truly good to go, there are at least 4 or so that should hang up their headsets.
I buy most of this post, but will disagree with the 4 to 1 statement. My observation makes it about 1 to 1. I flew copilot across the pond (on the L 1011) with the "old guys'. I found that about half of them were really losing their edge. You, as a copilot, had to be real sharp to make them believe that what you wanted to do was their idea. BTW, I quit at 57, and glad I did. I realized that was getting a bit of extra "help".

While i'm not a big fan of Mr. Stevens he did get it right with respect to age 65 in my opinion. If you want to retire at 60 do it. Those of us who are healthy and want to continue flying shouldn't arbitrarily be told we have to quit at a certain point for no good reason. I'm a younger guy by the way so i'm not really all that affected by the change.

Yes you are. All of us under every 60 and older guy on a seniority list is affected no matter what age you are.

Latest resources

Back