• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Revolution devours it's own.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great post! Those who want to stay can and those who want to leave can. Age 60 was blatant discrimination and if it wasn't for the great Prater and Sen Stevens recognizing this injustice we would still be stuck in the stone ages.

I tip my hat to these brave gentleman!

Well "Skippy",

I wish you well. I hope you survive and avoid any violations like I did after flying with age 60+ guys in Part 91 bizjets, and those nearing age 60 at a major.
Watching "Gramps" instantly snap a LR-25D into a 45 degree bank/-15 Kt Vref at 300 AFL tends to give one clarity on the issue.

A start.

Seriously, if someone has a problem with a pilot of any age and stays silent, they are an accomplice to whatever tragedy occurs (and that's what you're solely concerned with- safety, right?).

Good plan, but in the real world, it can work a little differently.

With all the discrimination issues, the old days of the cigar chomping "super" chief pilot righting a dangerous pilot are long gone. Especially with the subjective criterea of performance issues (no data trail) of a pilot if there is no damage involved.

In many other cases such as a chitty Flt Department, the "Skippy" junior FO might get hung out to dry if he questions an elderly Captains performance.

20 years ago, I was "Skippy", and was hung out to dry for bringing the performance of a 63 year old to light. Age was a factor with him, no question.

Last edited:
Stand-by for age 70 advocates.

I got a little laugh out of this:

This is just a simple cut and paste from your average everyday riding lawn mower users manual. Just skip down to the end and read the last "Safety Warning"

SAFETY RULES​
Safe Operation Practices for Ride
on Mowers
WARNING: This cutting machine is capable of amputating hands and feet and throwing objects. Failure to observe the
following safety instructions could result in serious injury or death.

I. General operation
1. Read, understand and follow all instructions in the Instruction Book, on the machine, the engine and with any attachments before
starting.
2. Only allow responsible adults, who are familiar with the instructions, to operate the machine.
3. Clear the area of objects such as rocks, toys, wire, etc., which could be picked up and thrown by the blade.
4. Be sure the area is clear of other people before mowing. Stop the machine if anyone enters the area.
5. Never carry passengers.
6. Turn off power to the blades or any attachments before backing up. Do not mow in reverse unless absolutely necessary. Always look
down and behind before and while backing.
7. Be aware of the mower discharge direction and do not point it at anyone. Do not operate the mower without either the entire grass bagger
or the mower guard in place.
8. Slow down before turning.
9. Never leave a machine unattended with the engine running. Always turn off the blade(s), set the parking brake, stop the engine and
remove the key before dismounting.
10. Turn off power to attachment(s) when transporting or not in use. Turn off the blade(s) when not mowing.
11. Stop the engine before removing the grass bagger or unclogging the chute.
12. Mow only in daylight or good artificial light.
13. Do not operate the machine while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or when very tired.
14. Watch for traffic when operating near or crossing roadways.
15. Use extra caution when loading or unloading the machine into a trailer or truck.
OWNER’S INFORMATION
F0506014L

16. Always wear goggles, safety glasses, or an eye shield when you operate the unit to protect your eyes from foreign objects that can be
thrown from the unit. Always wear eye protection when you make an adjustment or repair to the machine.
17. Use care when pulling loads or using heavy equipment.
a. Use only approved drawbar hitch points.
b. Limit loads to those you can safely control.
c. Do not turn sharply. Use care when backing.
d. Use counterweights or wheel weights when suggested in the Instruction Book.
18. Do not operate this machine if you are taking drugs or other medication which can cause drowsiness or affect your ability to operate
this machine.
19. Do not use this machine if you are mentally or physically unable to operate this machine safely.
20. Data indicates that operators, age 60 years and above, are involved in a large percentage of riding mower related injuries. These operators
should evaluate their ability to operate a riding mower safely enough to protect themselves and others from serious injury.​

I guess we should make TBO's (Time between Overhauls) illegal too.

After all, there is nothing wrong with the engine, its still running, and it probably will for a while longer, its just that the risks start to go up.

And the same thing happens to the human body. As Pilots we should be thinking SAFETY. Medical risks increase with age, and reflexes slow with age. No amount of new age thinking or singing Koom-bye-ya will change that fact.

But don't let greed get in your way. The same greed that is wrecking the economy now (carried out by the the same age group) just threw safety to the wind, and wrecked our careers and our economy.

We have come a LONG LONG LONG way from the greatest generation that fought WWII and gave us a good career. The group that lost vietnam and gave us the 70s and 80s should never have been let out of the play pen.

Cheers
Andrew

Just flew with an over 60 guy who was very realistic for a change. He even apologized and suggested my impending furlough was NOT being helped by him. Paid for dinner and drinks on the road and explained his financial situation was the ONLY reason he is still on the property. Never once did he B.S. me with the "I just love flying so much I can't stop..." or the "oh, in twenty years you're going to hit the jackpot at the top of the payscale..." argument. I actually thought he was pretty classy about it.

Latest resources

Back