• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 2007

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This just in " AGE 65 is discrimination too" ... CRAP!

If the problems of 60-year old incapacitation are real and documented, then address them, but don't use an arbitrary age limit to avoid dealing with the problem.

The captain that just passed away on the CAL flight was 58 1/2.

Back in the 70's a 45 year old AAL Capt passed in flight, what does that have to do with anything?

The only thing the CAL incident proves is that it is a good idea to have 2 qualified flight crew.

Actually, and sorry to be picky, it may prove more than that. Class 1 or equivalent medical certificates are issued world wide under criterea which varies widely country to country, where the USA falls about in the middle. We have all seen and flown with 50 year olds barely able to climb a flight of stairs, while I've watched 65 year olds smoke olympic distance triathlons. Like most legislation, the devil will be in the details, and our Class 1 criterea is probably overdue for an overhaul considering the advances of modern medicine.

Just to disclose my .02, I think the age should be raised to 65 only with the following completely unrealistic caveats:

1. Any pilot currently employed by a 121 carrier is allowed to retire at 60 with the contract provisions in place the day the age 65 legislation becomes effective.
2. Any pilot currently employed by a 121 carrier may work to age 65, but moves to the bottom of the seniority list upon their 60th birthday in recognition of the fact that their seniority is largely due to senior and older pilots having retired ahead of them at age 60. New hires after the age 65 legislation becomes effective may work to their 65th birthday without penalty.

Clearly, I'm against age 65 without my mythical caveats, but also realize that a pilot's or labor group's opinion on the matter counts for very little.

I think once one turns 60 they should be given the option to fly until 65 as a First Officer only.

Those which lost some of their pensions can still earn a very good living in the right seat and those that wish to hold the left seat are not penalized for five more years from stagnation.

Latest resources

Back