• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 2007

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bring... once again, how is Age 60 discrimination and 65 is not?

Secondly, the ARC results were pretty funny when you look at it. The people who wanted it were SWAPA and SWA management, JetBlue pilots and JetBlue management. That counted as 4 entities. Nice....

Thirdly, if you truly cannot see and acknowledge the effect this would have on everyone below you, you are truly oblivious, and as such, you need to retire since you're starting to lose sight of things.

Nope...their only asking to change the rules to suit them after a career of advancement provided by the mandatory retirement of pilots senior to them.

YOU YOUNG PUNK! Soon as I take a $h!t, I'm gonna hobble over there and throttle you! ;) TC

Kassel737 wrote:

"Oh shut up", that's not very nice. I guess these old farts never paid any attention the histories of Pan Am, Braniff, Eastern or countless others. Maybe these guys should have saved more of their money instead of buying boats, harleys, oversized houses and having five wives. I have heard to many stories while flying with capts of how they mismanaged their lives. Do I feel bad for these guys who made a a ton of money and squandered it away? HELLL NO. Move along.

Hopefully your stupidity does run in the family.
Do you honestly believe that these pilots could have looked into to the future to forecast their carrier's demise? That they could mysteriously predict the fall of stocks and bonds? That they could tell when their marriage will go bad; a child is born with a crippling disease or mental retardation; a spouse dies of a long term fight with cancer and leaves the family finances shattered; a tornado wipes out their home and all possessions? Or foretell when they would be hit with a 35 -50% pay cut or a loss of pension?
"I've heard many stories"... most of which are BS. Do you believe that people will mismanage and destroy their lives deliberately?
Please keep in contact, so that when you reach the age of 60, you can tell this forum how great and successful your life turned out.

This post has bothered me for a while.

Those are all terribly difficult things to deal with, but are all part of life. Is that supposed to be a list of reasons pilots nearing retirement age should be allowed more time to work? If so, what exactly do you intend to take responsibility for on your own?

The quick and easy fix to this, all Part 121 pilots that reach the age of 60, can elect to retire or move to the right (FO) seat. The upgrades will not be effected. The 60 year olds continue flying (earning a paycheck).

I can't tell, is this serious or sarcastic?

How about change the rule such that the PIC must be under 60 but that one could act as SIC until 65? That would be the most equal compromise; preserves career expectations of younger pilots yet keeps over 60 pilots flying and earning a paycheck for another 5 years.

Well, the can already go sit TIC if the company has aircraft available..

I am on both sides of the fence.. I support the change, as my pops does not want to retire just yet.. He has 3 years left..

However, it would effect my "upgrade" just like it would effect everyone elses...

Hey, if you want to fly till 65 go right ahead, and if you want to become an F/O after that until age 70 I don't care, just allow me to retire at 60 with no penalties to my retirement amount guaranteed at 60!

The only current federal law that protects persons from age discrimination applies only for those age 40 or older. Sorry

Just like the courts have decided that age 60 isn't discrimination either. Sorry.

Latest resources

Back