• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 2007

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The opponents to change are the cake and eat it crowd who have an Ozzie and Harriet view of retirement at 60 from the left seat and maybe a little military pension and VA health care to boot. They aren't about to let the reality of the carnage of the past 6 years upset their fantasy retirement. And if it takes tossing those who have had the least amount of time to prepare under the bus to do it, that's life!

Lets see, you want to have received the benefit of retirement of those at 60, yet push it to 65 for yourself....yeah I see how WE are cake and eat it too crowd. Dude, where do you come off. Loss of mental capacity is one of the things to go. And you know what, that is life. DID YOU NOT SEE THIS COMING (age 60). HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN AN AIRLINE GO OUT OF BUSINESS? Blame someone else crowd.

9/11/01 was far more than a minor downturn in the economy.

Suppose you were in your 50's waiting by the phone to get off furlough. That 5 years of additional opportunity would be of great value to you. Abolishing Age 60 for you at your age now would likely extend your furlough by a very small amount, plus if you choose, you have 5 additional years to recoup the losses of your current furlough. I've been on furlough myself, only my airline liquidated about 9 months after I went on furlough. And I've started at the bottom 6 times in my career and I'm only in my early 40's.

Keep Age 60? Sure for me it would be great. I'd get to hold a line, bid better equipment, but knowing all the while there were others for whom a small sacrifice could yield great benefit.

I don't know what the future of my airline holds, heck I could be out of work tomarrow (seen that before). But I would still advocate the elimination of Age 60 because it's the right thing to do.

Abolishing Age 60 for you at your age now would likely extend your furlough by a very small amount, plus if you choose, you have 5 additional years to recoup the losses of your current furlough.

Guys on furlough are not interested in dealing with "likely." It is impossible for anyone to predict how long any furloughed would be extended, the only thing you can say is they WILL be extended.

Keep Age 60? Sure for me it would be great. I'd get to hold a line, bid better equipment, but knowing all the while there were others for whom a small sacrifice could yield great benefit.

Please give me a break. You want to give a small sacrifice (up to 5 years) so that others may benefit? There are a million different things that could happen to you in those 5 years of sacrifice, do you think 1 of these people who "benefitted" from your sacrifice would give one hoot about you?

Screw the sacrifice, I'm sure most, if not all of us, have ridden the sacrifice boat long enough.

9/11/01 was far more than a minor downturn in the economy.

Gulf war I was far more than a minor downturn in the economy in the early 90s.
Stagflation in the 80s was far more than a minor downturn in the economy.
The Arab oil embargo in the 70s was far more than a minor downturn in the economy.
Need I go on?

To quote George Santanya: "Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Bringup... you can spin it whichever way you want it. Changing the age 60 rule would be windfall by minority on account of the majority, and that's bullsh*t.

Funny, you should talk about how divided we are...
If APAAD would change their agenda and their name to APABA (Airline Pilots Against Bankruptcy Abuse) and fought to get the pension reform passed instead of changing age 60, you would truly have a unified pilot front.

Instead, your generation's screwups continue...

You need to go away.

Took my kids out to dinner last night. I told the waitress that my 15 yr old would like a kids menu. She said that the kids menu were for kids 10 and under. I told her thats ok then, she'll have a cheeseburger, a cold beer and lets start with a shot of tequila.

Where does it end?

ski, that was funny. Two Fingers or Cuervo?

I'm sure you wish the cliche' was true, but it's not. I've been working on this for almost 10 years and know many of the guys in the trenches fighting along side me.

Of course perpetuating a negative stereotype might be your only way to gain any sympathy for a disciminatory position. Let me know how that works out for 'ya.

Latest resources

Back