• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 legislation is moving fast as of today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Age 65 rule will hurt SWA in a big way that the company has not or is not recognizing. As far as UPS, FedEX and others I can only imagine they will use it against u in terms of your retirement benefits. At SWA though, there is no pension but only what you have saved. And believe me, there are some very well to do Capts there that could easily retire at 60.

So why would they not want to retire at 60 and stay on till 65. The only reason is health care and the ability to hold the very best line. If you leave at 60 guess what you're on your own for helath care. It'll cost you about 1800 per month to pay your own health care till 65. Why would anyone do that?????

Tell you what is going to happen, a guy will keep working a regular line until say 62. He's got it good and bids his 3 three days a month plus his one two day. He's making 230K but something is a little bit wrong. He wants some of his own time and frankly no one should blame him. He's earned it. So it easy, he'll drop a trip and then call in sick for a trip. After all is said and done, he's taken a pay cut down to 160K a year but he's only working 6 days a month. Not a bad part time job! It will happen and the older guys that have saved up all that sick pay, figuring they will retire in at 60 will use it to the max. You will have a very unproductive older labor force. They can't help it, when you get 62/63 a lot of people change and want to spend time doing what they want and not sitting in a hotel in Vegas. I've seen it in my father and his friends. It's just the way it is. But, if you can work 6 days a month and make 160K everybody in there righ mind will do it. Fact of life here.

The other issue coming will be with guys losing there medicals on purpose. That's right on purpose. If you don't think someone who is burned out at 62-63 wouldn't consider it, you're nuts. Who gets to pay for that? Who do you think.

I'ts not that I'm against the 65 rule, I just don't want to see companies and the younger workers get screwed. This rule needs to come with some contract adjustments if folks want to retire early. If it doens't companies and workers are going to find it kinda sh!tty. Oh well, at least the older guy makes out.

Last edited:
So it easy, he'll drop a trip and then call in sick for a trip. After all is said and done, he's taken a pay cut down to 160K a year but he's only working 6 days a month.

You hit the nail on the head. I have heard conversations among the older pilots at my airline. This is exactly what they are planning on doing. Fly just enough to get out of the house and keep the company from trying to fire them. Ride it out until you can get medicare and your social security. And they will still make more money than they would have had under our old retirement plan. ROAD.

Well you can thank SWAPA and a bunch of old guys for letting you work longer instead of trying to put efforts into a decent retirement.

Who wants to work longer? Actually, I would like to retire at 60 and enjoy life with the grandkids, travel and have fun ..... We do have some idiots here at SWA.

work to live not live to work.....

(When this goes through IF YOU ARE UNDER 55 YOU ARE HOSED!!!). Not to mention the returning of guys who retired that the FAA will let return to fly and the proposed legislation to protect unions and companies from the lawsuits.

When you were in the SWA pool in 04/2002, it was probably one of those idiots, who gave you the thumbs up to join a new hire class. Oh, how soon we forget. Go back to flying your kite!

Not a bad part time job! It will happen

This is already happening. The over-60 crowd on our DC10 & 727 panels call in sick an average of SEVEN TIMES more than the rest.

I spent a year of hell on DC10 reserve. I'd get short-called at least twice a month - always at midnight for a ~2:30 am duty in, always to wherever it was raining or snowing. Only time I saw Puerto Rico was when there was a hurricane in the vicinity....

I'll say this one more time: there are those who will be captains for 5 more years, and the rest of us will be f/o's for 5 more years, or s/o's, or not employed.....

This is already happening. The over-60 crowd on our DC10 & 727 panels call in sick an average of SEVEN TIMES more than the rest.

I spent a year of hell on DC10 reserve. I'd get short-called at least twice a month - always at midnight for a ~2:30 am duty in, always to wherever it was raining or snowing. Only time I saw Puerto Rico was when there was a hurricane in the vicinity....

I'll say this one more time: there are those who will be captains for 5 more years, and the rest of us will be f/o's for 5 more years, or s/o's, or not employed.....

God, I forgot you guys got FE's. Well you've got the proof in the pudding my friend. Sorry to hear about your experiences but thanks for sharing it with us. Just imagine when a lot of those guys flow back to your seat. Ouch!

The Age 65 rule will hurt SWA in a big way that the company has not or is not recognizing. As far as UPS, FedEX and others I can only imagine they will use it against u in terms of your retirement benefits. At SWA though, there is no pension but only what you have saved. And believe me, there are some very well to do Capts there that could easily retire at 60.

I'm not sure we thought this all out either....:bomb:

sorry to disapoint you.......

When you were in the SWA pool in 04/2002, it was probably one of those idiots, who gave you the thumbs up to join a new hire class. Oh, how soon we forget. Go back to flying your kite!

Didn't know anybody here when I got hired, sorry to disappoint you. Hard to believe but it is true. My idiot comment was directed at SWAPA and not all the pilots. Instead of trying to get a better retirement our brotheren want to work more, stupid IMO.....Where I tend to think most pilots would be better served is a better retirement.

Don't own a kite anymore, sold it............. can I borrow yours?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Didn't know anybody here when I got hired, sorry to disappoint you. Hard to believe but it is true. My idiot comment was directed at SWAPA and not all the pilots. Instead of trying to get a better retirement our brotheren want to work more, stupid IMO.....Where I tend to think most pilots would be better served is a better retirement.

Don't own a kite anymore, sold it............. can I borrow yours?

:rolleyes:

Typical!

Lear quit when you want and let those that want to/are willing to, work. That way everyone is happy. I will spend my time as an FO with a smile on my face knowing that I will put a million bucks in my pocket with the extra five yrs... I think most of the guys I know at SWA (Capts) have a higher integrity level than you give them credit for. I imagine there are a few who will call in sick to lessen their work loads but there are problem children in every line of work. I happen to like flying for SWA. It is a great change from my last career. I will keep working because I know how bored I got during my 2.5 yr retirement while I was waiting to join SWA. I hope your retirement is at your option and his long and happy.

Latest resources

Back