• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Patriot328 said:
...It's not 5 more years as a captain like the people that are pushing this. It's five more years as a junior FO. The increase in longterm pay is nil for someone on the bottom of a seniority list...

BINGO! :cool:

Patriot328 said:
I think most junior (young) pilots do not want to see the age 60 rule changed because it will stagnate their careers for five years on the bottom of a seniority list (probably a tad less because not everyone will go to age 65 even if allowed). It's not 5 more years as a captain like the people that are pushing this. It's five more years as a junior FO. The increase in longterm pay is nil for someone on the bottom of a seniority list. Also, the unintended consequences of this will be much more stringent medical exams that will probably cause more people to medical out before 60, let alone 65.

I am here to warn you that unless you are independently wealthy, the only viable retirement plan you can count on is planning to work past 60. Do not count on Social Security and your defined benefit plans will likely be a thing of the past. Even the taxpayer supported Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) is on a course to failure. A stroke of the pen, however, (Passage of the legislation to increase the age 60 rule to 65) would relieve the pressure that under funded pension plans of bankrupt carriers being dumped on the PBGC creates. Even at reduced pension payments, the burden is awesome. Now that more and more carriers could be facing bankruptcy, the problem is increasing rapidly. US Air, United Airlines and now Delta Airlines have all terminated their pilot pension plans and the list will likely grow. The remaining airline companies are struggling with the financial burden of continuing to operate while still funding their own pension plans. This creates an uneven playing field with their competitors who have lesser operating costs, having been relieved of their pension burdens. The remaining companies then will be unable to compete with their competitor’s lower operating costs thus increasing pressures for the otherwise healthy companies to terminate their own pension plans as well. This ugly scenario could soon likely be played-out in other industries as well. Delaying their own retirement may be the only solution for individuals caught up in this. Big business is the only winner in all of this. Both tax payers and individuals will be the losers if the age 60 retirement age for airline pilots is not increased.

Patriot328 said:
If they change the rule today, everyone that is a captain right now gets five more years in their seat.
Not exactly.

Everyone that is on the seniority list gets 5 more years in their seat. ALL seats...including Captain. Yes, it's "5 more years as a junior F/O" with sucky schedules, etc. It's also 5 more years as a senior F/O, with sweet layovers and holidays off. It's 5 more years as a junior Captain, (back to the sucky schedules) and 5 more years at the top of the heap, flying easy schedules with lots of credit hours, and plowing half your income back into your retirement...a retirement that can no longer be guaranteed by either your company OR the government.

It's true that increasing the retirement age will reduce the need for pilots. However, people not on a seniority list don't concern me that much.

The bottom line is simply this...Do you want to spend (assuming you're hired at 30) 30 years as an airline pilot and 5 years working at Home Depot, or 35 years as an airline pilot? That's it. Thirty years in this profession, or thirty-five? That's the only question you have to ask yourself. All this cr*pola about what the rules used to be, and what our "expectations" were when we started, are specious at best. What do you want to be doing between the ages of 60 and 65? Driving a jet, or driving a forklift?

If you tell me you're looking forward to driving the forklift, I'll understand. Not everybody is cut-out to be a pilot.

This is so simple, my kids understand it. My neighbors understand it. Judging by the way he wags his tail, even my dog understands it. I don't understand why people that are supposed to be intelligent, deductive thinkers don't understand it.

The only substantive reason I've yet to hear for not rescinding the "Age 60 " rule is to accelerate upgrades throughout the ranks. The junior guys would like to legislate the senior guys out of their jobs. If safety really were the issue, and they wanted to do some "selective thinning of the herd" in order to get me out of my seat, there are ways they could do it that wouldn't penalize me for having the foresight to be born before them, and in a manner that would enhance safety.

Simply tighten up on standards.

Think about it. We could encourage our employers to task us with multiple, compounded emergencies during upgrades and recurrent checks. Ask our line-check airmen to fail a certain number of crewmembers each quarter. Have pro-standards adopt certain height/weight/fitness standards for all crewmembers, with discipline "up to and including termination" for any crewmember not in compliance. We could stop worrying about how old a guy is, and start worrying about how to get the dead meats and weak-sticks off the property. You'd get the enhanced safety that management and the public wants, along with the quicker upgrades that you want.

That's assuming you're still around.

I have a feeling that when it's your a$$ that's facing the chopper, you're going to become a whole lot kinder and gentler to your brothers in the profession.

Whistlin' Dan said:
Not exactly.

Everyone that is on the seniority list gets 5 more years in their seat. ALL seats...including Captain. Yes, it's "5 more years as a junior F/O" with sucky schedules, etc. It's also 5 more years as a senior F/O, with sweet layovers and holidays off. It's 5 more years as a junior Captain, (back to the sucky schedules) and 5 more years at the top of the heap, flying easy schedules with lots of credit hours, and plowing half your income back into your retirement...a retirement that can no longer be guaranteed by either your company OR the government.

No, not exactly...

If one is 4999 out of 5000 on a seniority list and it's going to take them 10 years to upgrade then spend 20 years as a captain and they change the rule to 65, it will now take them 5 more years to upgrade because no one is retiring for five more years, putting their upgrade at 15 years. After their 15 year upgrade (now at age 45 instead of 40), they still have 20 years as a captain.

If number 1 at the company is about to turn sixty after spending 10 years as an FO and 20 years as a CA and they change the rule, he is about to spend another five years as a CA; getting 25 years as a CA and 10 years as an FO.

This does not only apply to just CA upgrade, but vacations, bidding, getting off reserve, everything. EVERYONE on a seniority list stagnates for five years.

I wouldn't really care so much about it (and to be honest I don't.. change it.. most people at my airline are so burned out I don't think they'll stick around much past 60 anyway), but it just find it so hypocritical that the very people that benefitted from the rule now want it changed when it's not working out so well for them.

Whistlin' Dan said:
Not exactly.

It's true that increasing the retirement age will reduce the need for pilots. However, people not on a seniority list don't concern me that much.

The bottom line is simply this...Do you want to spend (assuming you're hired at 30) 30 years as an airline pilot and 5 years working at Home Depot, or 35 years as an airline pilot? That's it. Thirty years in this profession, or thirty-five? That's the only question you have to ask yourself. All this cr*pola about what the rules used to be, and what our "expectations" were when we started, are specious at best. What do you want to be doing between the ages of 60 and 65? Driving a jet, or driving a forklift?

If you tell me you're looking forward to driving the forklift, I'll understand. Not everybody is cut-out to be a pilot.

This is so simple, my kids understand it. My neighbors understand it. Judging by the way he wags his tail, even my dog understands it. I don't understand why people that are supposed to be intelligent, deductive thinkers don't understand it.

The only substantive reason I've yet to hear for not rescinding the "Age 60 " rule is to accelerate upgrades throughout the ranks. The junior guys would like to legislate the senior guys out of their jobs. If safety really were the issue, and they wanted to do some "selective thinning of the herd" in order to get me out of my seat, there are ways they could do it that wouldn't penalize me for having the foresight to be born before them, and in a manner that would enhance safety.

Simply tighten up on standards.

Think about it. We could encourage our employers to task us with multiple, compounded emergencies during upgrades and recurrent checks. Ask our line-check airmen to fail a certain number of crewmembers each quarter. Have pro-standards adopt certain height/weight/fitness standards for all crewmembers, with discipline "up to and including termination" for any crewmember not in compliance. We could stop worrying about how old a guy is, and start worrying about how to get the dead meats and weak-sticks off the property. You'd get the enhanced safety that management and the public wants, along with the quicker upgrades that you want.

That's assuming you're still around.

I have a feeling that when it's your a$$ that's facing the chopper, you're going to become a whole lot kinder and gentler to your brothers in the profession.

DITO! Whistlin' Dan

Tell that dog of yours, GOOD BOY!

Klako said:
...opposing a change to the age 60 rule and that is age discrimination, nothing more and nothing less.

So... forcing retirement at age 65 isn't?

Why don't you become an air traffic controller? Oh, that's right, you have to be younger than 31 to start, with a mandatory retirement age of 56. Crap! Hope you're going to change that one, too.

How about serving your community as a policeman or fireman? Retirement at 55 there too?

You know, if I were you, I'd stop flying now, because you have a whole lot of lobbying to get done on behalf of yourself and these other groups who are 'discriminated' against. Or is it only about you?

Whistlin' Dan said:
DUDE, it's 5 more years at EVERY seat! Why is that so hard for people to understand?

NO IT IS NOT! Why is that so hard for you to understand? YOU are not spending 5 more years in EVERY seat. YOU are spending five more years in YOUR seat. The junior pilot is spending five more years in EVERY SEAT.

If, at age sixty, you want to spend five more years as a second officer... go ahead... you can spend five more years there, then upgrade and spend five more years as a first officer, then after your five extra years as a first officer are up, you can go back to your Captain's seat, have at it. NOW it's even.

Sluggo_63 said:
You know, if I were you, I'd stop flying now, because you have a whole lot of lobbying to get done on behalf of yourself and these other groups who are 'discriminated' against. Or is it only about you?
If I'm not mistaken, the "Age 60" rule that you are so against changing goes back to about 1958 or so. If you want to keep the rules as they were then, fine. But let's keep ALL the rules, OK? For example...

• With few exceptions, passenger service will be operated by aircraft of 25-60 seat capacity, at rates that max out at roughly the equivalent to the Regional/LCC carriers of today.

• Air cargo will be the bastard stepchild of aviation, operated largely with obsolete or cast-off mainline equipment. It will be flown by crews who are paid at rates that are about half that of the Legacy carriers, and their accident rates will be appalling.

• Medical waivers will be virtually unheard of. One heart attack, one occurance of high blood pressure, diabetes, or substance abuse, will permanently disqualify an airline pilot from further service. Likewise, many major surgical procedures. No bypasses, no teflon knees or hips, no nuthin...

• Legacy carriers will rarely hire pilots over 30 years of age. Once past 30, the best job most pilots can hope for will be non-sked cargo or aircraft sales. (Unfortunately, that will keep ex-military pilots out of contention for Legacy-carrier jobs, but "they knew the rules going in," right?)
Yea, I like "the rules" we had in 1958. I like them so much, I think we ought to go back to them. If we could just do that, I think this "problem" some guys are apparently having with "upgrades not happening quickly enough" will remedy itself...

I'm sure someone has done the math but I'm gonna have another go at it. I'm 37. I'm an FO. Captains at my airline make roughly 80k/yr more than me. I am "guessing" that the length of stay in my seat could be another 3 years. That's 240k lost cash. Compound that 3 times (money doubles every 7 years at 7%) and you're at a cool million bucks. Plus the loss of profit sharing, 401k match and you can see that it will cost me well over a $1,000,000 to sit another 3 years in the right seat.

If I stay from 60 to 65 I COULD earn another $1,000,000 THEN. I'd rather have it now cause there is no promise that I'll be healthy when I'm 61 and beyond.

This is all demographics. The older you are the more you care about this issue. I'll ask all of you one question.

Were you riding the "this is discrimination" horse 20 years ago? 10 years ago? I doubt it. ALPA is still against Age 60 repeal. Guys have lost thousands or millions in pensions. 5 years ago they were fine but now they don't have the money to retire it's "discrimination."

ICAO will go to 65 for ONE pilot in the cockpit in November. What if I'm a 61 year old FO and my Captain is also 61. I don't get to fly that trip. THAT IS DICRIMINATION!

Let's all just be honest with one another and tell it like it is. It's not about age discrimination, it's about $$$.

Gup

GuppyWN said:
I'm sure someone has done the math but I'm gonna have another go at it. I'm 37. I'm an FO. Captains at my airline make roughly 80k/yr more than me. I am "guessing" that the length of stay in my seat could be another 3 years. That's 240k lost cash. Compound that 3 times (money doubles every 7 years at 7%) and you're at a cool million bucks. Plus the loss of profit sharing, 401k match and you can see that it will cost me well over a $1,000,000 to sit another 3 years in the right seat.

If I stay from 60 to 65 I COULD earn another $1,000,000 THEN. I'd rather have it now cause there is no promise that I'll be healthy when I'm 61 and beyond.

This is all demographics. The older you are the more you care about this issue. I'll ask all of you one question.

Were you riding the "this is discrimination" horse 20 years ago? 10 years ago? I doubt it. ALPA is still against Age 60 repeal. Guys have lost thousands or millions in pensions. 5 years ago they were fine but now they don't have the money to retire it's "discrimination."

ICAO will go to 65 for ONE pilot in the cockpit in November. What if I'm a 61 year old FO and my Captain is also 61. I don't get to fly that trip. THAT IS DICRIMINATION!

Let's all just be honest with one another and tell it like it is. It's not about age discrimination, it's about $$$.

Gup

I agree with that and more and would like to thank them for the delay in my career!

Latest resources

Back