• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
No sir. The "me" generation is, was, and always will be those born between 1946-1964. Their actions have been egocentric and self serving across the board. The retirement age change is just the latest in a long string of examples.

Interesting how you claim your victory in the same breath as disparaging those who pay the price for your free lunch. Classy and typical of you ilk.
Your views are of course distorted from your situation.

A victory! Please, I have not claimed a victory. I have not had a victory, only loss. I have pointed out your loss too, by your group's own actions. The industry is forever changed by your group’s divisive efforts regarding discrimination against your most senior colleagues. My point has been that, "The chickens have now come home to roost." And it is you that will pay the price for your actions (sins). ALPA and your career will most likely be nothing remarkable by your own doing. This is truly regrettable.

Last edited:
undaunted:

you're kidding. you've disenfranchised and sold out the next generation, benefitted from the age 60 rule your entire career-- and now want some sort of sympathy from us as you extend the retirement age at the worst possible time? I'll tell every single one of you what i think of you. Selfish. Pure and simple. And what's funny- you've made less money in the end than the great generations before you b/c you've been selfish. The previous generations stood together. You sold out. That came back to bite you- and now you're working until 65 for less money than your predecessors. Hope that feels great.... b/c it'll be fixed by the time i retire.

And it'll be a motivating line every time a group tries to get selfish from this point on:

"Look how the baby - boomers lost, by being selfish. We all win or we all lose. That's how this career works."

I only wish you understood that... you're as selfish as i'd expect converted hippies to be.

undaunted:

You're working until 65 for less money than your predecessors. Hope that feels great.... b/c it'll be fixed by the time i retire.

You seem to be misinformed. I retired at age-60.

And you, you'll probably lose your current job and will have to start at the bottom again and again until you finally give it up to sell used cars. Maybe not if you are lucky. Not that you have an issue in your performance, its just the nature of the industry and the lack of power of the pilot group. The lack of power is from the "me" generation (that's you) trying so hard to get everything "now" and to heck with the future. Your position on age 60/65 is a classic example of this. ALPA is powerless because of the deep divisions of the junior and senior groups. Unfortunately the junior pilots can not see more than a 6-months into the future. That is you.

And somehow you think your wages and retirement will "fixed by the time you get there." Give us all a break. You can expect no higher wages than a school teacher will earn and that's if you are lucky. As for retirement, you'll only have what you save yourself and if you don't earn anything how will you have anything in the end? No, I can say with certanity that nothing will be fixed by the time you get there. Stop dreaming and get real.

Good luck.

My generation didn't vote in B-scales for their own benefit.
My generation didn't scope out the new small jets b/c that flying didn't affect them.
My generation didn't continuously repeat past mistakes.
My generation hasn't been apathetic participants in their unions.

There will be changes for sure. But pilot v pilot problems will be stopped when we are in power. You sound like management and you hope that we can be broken further.... you've got all you could- and that is temporary....
And don't worry- i'm fine and have been fine for a while.... I'm actually the guy who thinks about the industry as a whole than just my individual situation. If one pilot is struggling and on survival mode-- that weakens our position.

No sir. The "me" generation is, was, and always will be those born between 1946-1964. Their actions have been egocentric and self serving across the board. The retirement age change is just the latest in a long string of examples.

Interesting how you claim your victory in the same breath as disparaging those who pay the price for your free lunch. Classy and typical of you ilk.

1061 birth for me so I guess I am the "ME" generation.

I guess I was the ME generation when I struck at EAL fighting for a better future for myself and those to follow.

I guess I was ME generation when I watched EAL go under and started over at UAL.

I guess I was the ME generation when I and the overwhelming majority voted to pay the cobra expenses for our furloughed pilots after 9/11.

Now when the YOU generation joins us in the hard times all WE hear is "it's all about you guys what about mine?"

Give me a break

If Age 60 had been defeated while you were striking at EAL, you wouldn't have even been hired at UAL.
Now when the YOU generation joins us in the hard times all WE hear is "it's all about you guys what about mine?"
Don't waste your pixels trying to compare Management/economic hard times of the past to Senior pilots blatantly screwing junior pilots in an all sweeping, Nationwide fashion like what happened with age 60. It is even more ridiculous considering the management/economic hard times we are currently facing.
Your career advancement was a direct result of those before you retiring and that has been stolen from us.

Sugar coat it any way you find acceptable.........

THE DREAM DIED ON YOUR WATCH.

No two ways about it. It was what it was when the Boomers were 20somethings and now it is what it is. Great job, Eagleview, you're my hero.

There will be changes for sure. But pilot v pilot problems will be stopped when we are in power... I'm actually the guy who thinks about the industry as a whole than just my individual situation. If one pilot is struggling and on survival mode-- that weakens our position.
Wow man, you running for office? Get over yourself. The fact is, anybody pointing the finger at someone else is part of the "me" crowd. This "profession" is a sinking boat and ALPA is at the helm. Props to the EAL guys because they put their money where their mouth was and sacrificed for what they believed in. You're not going to see that anymore with today's "I'm just lucky to have a job" crowd. Undaunted is right, soon enough you'll have Widebody Captains flying trans-oceanics for school teacher pay, all while trying to fund their own retirements. Soon enough you'll be part of the crowd saying "It's over already?!? I can't afford retirement!" But that is what thinking six-inches in front of your face will get you.

1061 birth for me so I guess I am the "ME" generation.

I guess I was the ME generation when I struck at EAL fighting for a better future for myself and those to follow.

Sorry, but you're the worst kind of seniority offender and you typify the entire problem.

I've listened to strikers like you at CAL curse every replacement workers' very existence. Guys like you carried and passed out the list 20+ years after the strike ended. I wanted to empathize with you, until I saw you do the exact same thing to my career!!

Tear up you list or add your name to it. I'm done listening to your BS.

You seem to be misinformed. I retired at age-60.

You had a chance to go back to UAL and prove to all of us this was not only about seniority. In fact, you claimed you would!! Well, that's all your generation does...make claims. Truth: Age 65 is being adjusted to and my generation of marginalized pilots who are getting the worst of this are handling things with a degree of professionalism that never existed in yours. Period. In fact, it's a good thing this happened us (my generation) and not yours. There are some horrible and dispicable acts and deeds in your generation's history.

I stand by every argument I had against raising the retirement age.

I get the privilege of being shown I was right by flying with a 62 year old. Every day it's the multitude of 'senior moments' and some come at the worst time. I know it's not incompetence because he does things fine at other times. It's slow mental and cognitive shut down... and the worst of it is, how do you tell that to him?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back