• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters

Everyone in the airlines now knew the rules when they joined...maybe change it to 65 for incoming airline pilots today, but don't change the rules in the 9th inning.

We are big boys and should have saved for retirement by now. We shouldn't hurt future generations' careers for our own greed.

...or, you're the one who married her (and her), not me.

Everyone in the airlines now knew the rules when they joined...maybe change it to 65 for incoming airline pilots today, but don't change the rules in the 9th inning.
Or what about the 7th day, the 4th quarter, the third period.....LOL. If you have done a good job early in your career, were prudent in your savings and spending, and married the right gal who didn't decide to take you for all you're worth or gosh forbid, married one who had her own career, making her own money, you shouldn't worry. You'll still retire with millions. Unless of course you were hired by Plato in 1999 and fell for the, "Kid, you'll walk away with $15 million by the time you're 55" speech and lived like a rock star at 38.
If you want to work 12 days a month when you're 61, you are able. By the way, the airline pilot divorce rate is over 70% which says that the majority of pilots in their 30s and 40s will someday wish for age 65.

Total nonsense. That's like saying you have no right to try and make your neighborhood better because you knew it had problems when you moved in. It's called change, progress. Age 60 is as good as GONE! Get used to it son. IT's GONE!

Yeah, it'll be gone when the first metal gets bent because of old farts. Get used to it, GRAMPS! You ain't as good as you once were...

We are big boys and should have saved for retirement by now. We shouldn't hurt future generations' careers for our own greed.

...or, you're the one who married her (and her), not me.

What planet have you been living on, man???!!
Haven't you noticed the world changing? Things DO change you know - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse but the ONLY thing in life that is certain IS change. It will come as it has in the rest of the world, so get used to it. Knew the rules? That is a total cop out and you know it...governments, agencies and corporate entities all change policies and procedures over time, so to say that you knew 50 years ago what you were getting into is a pretty dumb remark.
I don't want some legislator or some smart ass telling me how I should or should not live my life. That is what America is supposed to be about, in case you had not noticed - freedom of expression and the right of individuals.
And something else you clearly have not noticed is that not every pilot has had two, three wives/divorces, yachts, not saved for pensions etc. I certainly have not gone wild and have been married the once, no boat or flashy car and I save for my own retiement - I don't get anyone to do that for me or on my behalf. I take care of it.
Irrespective, not everyone has had the same breaks as you or I, so you can't lump everyone together just because you've never been laid-off/furloughed/unemployed through no fault of your own and had to start over. It does happen and some go on to make a success of it others quit and more pwer to them but I would not go on record to say that they should have done this or that. It ain't my business for a start and I don't know their full circumstances.
Whatever the reasons, it's a person's individual right to work (or not as the case may be) for as long as he/she is able and meets the requirements of the job.
Finally, the most successful companies in the world got to their positions primarily because they were able (and willing) to adapt to change. Those that did not, never caught up or went out of business eventually. It is said that change is one of the hardest thing to accept and it looks like you are having a hard time of it!

How about all the metal being bent right now by the under 60 guys?

How about all the metal being bent right now by the under 60 guys?

I'd be careful with that one, yip. There's a downward trend at the younger ages that flatlines in the 30s until 55. At 55, the trend moves upward.

If you suggest not allowing anyone under a certain age to fly, you will get the same result at a later entry age. Now, if the trend shows upward between 55 & 59, where would you reasonably extrapolate the continuance of that line from 60-64?

Andy what are we comparing all 121 pilots?, all pilots? what are we comparing?

Andy what are we comparing all 121 pilots?, all pilots? what are we comparing?

121 and 135 pilots. You mean to tell me that I've posted links to the CAMI reports here at LEAST a dozen times and you haven't even bothered to read them yet? Wow, no wonder why you can claim that this isn't a safety issue; if you don't read the FAA reports that prove that this is a safety issue, the data doesn't exist, right?

Latest resources

Back