Age 60 Battle vs ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Freddie said:
Age 60 is a political issue. Wake up and smell the BK!

Good one. Wake up and smell the BK. I sure hope you don't EVER have to go through anything like that. You don't think you will, though. Is limiting Police officer and Firefighter job terms also political? Wrong again dumba$$.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
MD11 Captain, huh? Thought so. You have a little more invested in this issue than most. Well, you may be Superman and have great health, but most of you DO NOT. As far as the 737 and the GIB (Guy in Back), that had nothing to do with health. We used to have ROPES (Real Old Pilots) fly FE on the L1011 and 727 until we got rid of them, but they were not allowed to "fly" the plane. I think the old timers should be retained in some way----like recurrent ground school or sim instructors. As far as the age rules in Europe and Japan etc-----that is just an accident waiting to happen. I believe the English version has the Captains demoted to FO, which is still unsafe IMO. IF you want to keep flying after 60, go corporate----which won't endanger as many lives. (unless you hit a 747)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Getting a little touchy General Lee.:) As far as the 737 it also had nothing to do about safety, but that was the ALPA line.

WillowRunVortex said:
Every other professional in the world strives for a fairly early retirement at a fairly young age. It is interesting that 121 airline pilots are the only professional group that is actually fighting to work longer. With the average salary and benefits of an airline pilot, if you cannot afford to retire at age 60, then yes, it is a mental issue.

Most people today work longer, health insurance, pension problems, plus many others. Yes it is a mental problem for pilots that want to. They have this problem of really liking their job.:)

TheDonger said:
Gee, somehow I think those that are against the over 60 rule would change their minds in a heartbeat if/when they lose their pension.

Yeah, only $46,000 a year (PBGC). Again I say, if this is your yearly pension, and you will not survive on this plus social security (12000,?), it is a mental issue.
This is also considering someone who has made well into the 6 figures for a long time. Ahh, the lost art of saving money (living within one's means).

FoxHunter said:
Most people today work longer, health insurance, pension problems, plus many others. Yes it is a mental problem for pilots that want to. They have this problem of really liking their job.:)

Buy a boat, get a girlfriend. Thats fun too. Oh, wait, thats what gottem in trouble in the first place. Second thought, dont do that.

General Lee said:
IF you want to keep flying after 60, go corporate----which won't endanger as many lives. (unless you hit a 747)

yeah, corporate aviation is a good dumping ground for old airline pilots.

....of course the loudest opposition to extending the 60 rule will most probably come from the under 40 crowd at the fully funded pension plan carriers (fdx,ups,delta ) ....and for obvious reasons none of which are safety related.

Last edited:
WillowRunVortex said:
Yeah, only $46,000 a year (PBGC). Again I say, if this is your yearly pension, and you will not survive on this plus social security (12000,?), it is a mental issue.
This is also considering someone who has made well into the 6 figures for a long time. Ahh, the lost art of saving money (living within one's means).

$46,000(PBGC)??? Hmm....OOPS you are talking about a figure for someone that retires at age 65. The pilot that retires at age 60 gives on about $28,000 per year. Now if that pilot happens to be married his wife is entitled to survivor benefits which brings the amount down to around $25,000 per year. Reduced social security two years later or full five to six years later

Now most of these pilots did plan. They planned on what they thought was a secure, funded, ERISA protected, ALPA contracted pension. They have since learned that many of these pensions were not worth the paper they were written on. Now the President of ALPA has not had his $149,000 per year pension promised reduced. $220,000+ if he serves another term.

FoxHunter said:
$46,000(PBGC)??? Hmm....OOPS you are talking about a figure for someone that retires at age 65. The pilot that retires at age 60 gives on about $28,000 per year. Now if that pilot happens to be married his wife is entitled to survivor benefits which brings the amount down to around $25,000 per year. Reduced social security two years later or full five to six years later

Now most of these pilots did plan. They planned on what they thought was a secure, funded, ERISA protected, ALPA contracted pension. They have since learned that many of these pensions were not worth the paper they were written on. Now the President of ALPA has not had his $149,000 per year pension promised reduced. $220,000+ if he serves another term.

Ok, you win with the figures. I havent researched this hard. But, we are still talking about a person who made a substantial amount of money during their working years. It has been my experience that regular working folks do not feel sorry when they hear about the poor pilots pensions, and what they will be forced to survive on.

As far as the age rules in Europe and Japan etc-----that is just an accident waiting to happen. I believe the English version has the Captains demoted to FO, which is still unsafe IMO. IF you want to keep flying after 60, go corporate----which won't endanger as many lives. (unless you hit a 747)

General,

safety issue?? what age limit does your ALPA BOY DUANE WORTH support with CANADIAN ALPA?? ill let you tell everyone....

you'll be singing a different tune in about 6 months....

Latest resources

Back