• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AF, Navy Fighter ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would rather be an "under-trained" Navy guy actually in the fight than an Air Force guy sitting it out. We were dropping left and right in the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq with ne'er an land based tactical jet to be seen.

That's because we had different vul times, bro. Try checking the ATO.

I was in afghanistan for the first three weeks and there was nothing from the AF except the heavy bombers and your tankers (thank you very much). Oh, there was one night where 2 Strike Eagles made a big show by flying all the way from the gulf to drop in afghanistan. They sucked up every tanker in the region to do so.

I should have been more specific about Iraq. I was only in the North. Turkey said no way to the Air Force but yes to the Navy. We maintained a 24 hour presence in the north and Air Force tacair did not play. I'm sure you guys did some good work in the south.

AF reserve F-16s flew nearly everyday from the gulf to Afghanistan. I believe hogs flew from other undisclosed locations.

lets loose the details but navy guy you're wrong and lets not forget that long before you were "there" solo doing your thing, I'm sure there were plenty of SOF types running around doing their thing. Oh yeah, according to the press the C-17s were doing the humro thing from night one as well. With that outlook about your self I definately see you as the iceman airline pilot wandering around looking for a volleyball game. no offense

I'm not sure if by "navy guy" you are referring to me. If you are, when did I ever say anything about being solo. There was plenty of air force there, just not tacair. Lots of tankers, B-52s and AC-130's (I learned of them later). Not a viper or eagle to be seen. Well one, the guy on exchange to my squadron.

Keep in mind I was in afghanistan for only 3 weeks. Maybe more air force assets came later. But from what I hear, the dropping stopped a few weeks after we left.

"Iceman" lol. Me. No matter, we are cut from the same cloth. Every US military pilot, given the opportunity, will rise to the occasion. I certainly didn't do any more than anyone else here would have done. I was simply fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

I simply offer my experiences as a counterpoint to the constant air force mantra of "we are tactically better than the navy because of all their boat stuff". What use is all the training when if you never make it to the game.

Maybe our floating airbases have some use afterall.

Last edited:
I would rather be an "under-trained" Navy guy actually in the fight than an Air Force guy sitting it out. We were dropping left and right in the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq with ne'er an land based tactical jet to be seen.
...well, blue four, thanks for bein there...even if ya missed your targets...

I'm not sure if by "navy guy" you are referring to me. If you are, when did I ever say anything about being solo. There was plenty of air force there, just not tacair. Lots of tankers, B-52s and AC-130's (I learned of them later). Not a viper or eagle to be seen. Well one, the guy on exchange to my squadron.

Keep in mind I was in afghanistan for only 3 weeks. Maybe more air force assets came later. But from what I hear, the dropping stopped a few weeks after we left.

"Iceman" lol. Me. No matter, we are cut from the same cloth. Every US military pilot, given the opportunity, will rise to the occasion. I certainly didn't do any more than anyone else here would have done. I was simply fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

I simply offer my experiences as a counterpoint to the constant air force mantra of "we are tactically better than the navy because of all their boat stuff". What use is all the training when if you never make it to the game.

Maybe our floating airbases have some use afterall.

Huggy Bear,
Your self flagellation is truely appreciated by all the non-military visitors.
Let me help you out with a couple of things however.
First, was it three whole weeks or just part of three in theater? Remind me what type of air threat the Afghan Air Force is? I only have 15+ months "over there" observing all branches plus some of our "friends". Plus, if that was your big day in the show don't be so quick to judge what you haven't seen.
Second, how many large force exercises or events (more than just your squadron) have you participated in (I will define large as more than 30 fighters and not tanker fighters) all on the same side (not including adversaries).
Third, I have trained with every squadron that has passed through or been stationed at Beaufort over the last 11 years and without fail everyone that came back from the boat was way not ready to do anything other than kill non-moving targets. I have deployed to Key West / Sloppy Joe's more times than I can remember, fought every version of the mighty Tomcat and Hornet. I have fought some great dudes and without fail those that were spinning up for, were on, or have just left the boat were not proficient and it showed.
Don't let a bruised ego over ride logic.

Huggy - bro you have one heck of an ego but hey I expect that of a "hornet driver" (attribute to a classmate o' mine) I hope that you're an 0-3 (any higher and I'll assume you have absolutly ZERO joint time) and have no idea how DOD really works, also just wondering if you're a ring knocker 'cause you have the air of being a bit of a tool. On the bright side yes the navy did it all! As always AF was just a support role role providing the fuel and a couple of big guys with firepower equal to your entire CBG. with the 73 type you rushing swa, if so good luck.

"I simply offer my experiences as a counterpoint to the constant air force mantra of "we are tactically better than the navy because of all their boat stuff". What use is all the training when if you never make it to the game."

"I have deployed to Key West / Sloppy Joe's more times than I can remember, fought every version of the mighty Tomcat and Hornet. I have fought some great dudes and without fail those that were spinning up for, were on, or have just left the boat wereI have fought some great dudes and without fail those that were spinning up for, were on, or have just left the boat were not proficient and it showed. and it showed."

Exactly my point. I'm talking about who was there at the start of the invasion. You're talking about training and staff tours. In afghanistan 3/4 of the ordnance was dropped by air force big wing bombers. The remaining 1/4 was dropped by navy tacair.

"Huggy - bro you have one heck of an ego but hey I expect that of a "hornet driver" (attribute to a classmate o' mine) I hope that you're an 0-3 (any higher and I'll assume you have absolutly ZERO joint time) and have no idea how DOD really works, also just wondering if you're a ring knocker 'cause you have the air of being a bit of a tool. On the bright side yes the navy did it all! As always AF was just a support role role providing the fuel and a couple of big guys with firepower equal to your entire CBG. with the 73 type you rushing swa, if so good luck."

A typical flight info class act you are. Attack the poster instead of his ideas.

Latest resources

Back