• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice Please! AirTran vs. Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you crazy? WHy is this even a decision? Delta is not what it used to be and never will be again. They are in bankruptcy, which means they are not able to pay their bills. Airtran has been profitable throughout the post 9/11 world. Airtran is a lot less risk and has a much more stable present and future.

Delta=Dream job/risk
Airtran=Stability

Tough choice, good luck!

Delta was a deam job back in the late 90's and AirTran could be gone tomorrow with the stroke of a pen.

Delta was a deam job back in the late 90's and AirTran could be gone tomorrow with the stroke of a pen.

Sounds like you need to go on a fishing trip.

Gone with the stroke of a pen, meaning bought by someone?

Go Steelers!

Sounds like you need to go on a fishing trip.

!

I was out most of the day yesterday and I'm going again tomorrow.

What I was trying to say is that SWA can wipe little AirTran off the map if they so desire.

I was out most of the day yesterday and I'm going again tomorrow.

What I was trying to say is that SWA can wipe little AirTran off the map if they so desire.

Problem with that is that It would cost them an awful lot of money to do it. I think southwest management is very frugal when it comes to spending money.

Here's a random thought.

I've helped about a dozen AT guys get hired by FedEx. I've helped about 3 Delta guys. UPS has also hired several away from Airtran.

Which "stepping stone" job to a cargo carrier will make you more marketable? My vote says Airtran. I also think Airtran has (believe it or not) more stability. Upside risk at Delta is high...but if it worked you could look pretty sharp in 10 years. But it will be hard to get hired at Fedex if that is your goal...

Can you believe how DIFFERENT this is than 1999-2000?

Thanks for the replies thus far. Right now I'm 32, but one guy told me to look at it like this: Delta hasn't hired since 2001; so if I got hired now, it would basically be like I was hired in 2001. In 2001, I was 26, and I doubt there's too many guys that got hired at Delta before they were 26. So in the long run, I think I'd be pretty high with Delta's seniority numbers. Being new to the whole seniority thing, does this logic hold true? Not sure if the same could be said seniority-wise with AirTran; in fact, the opposite could be true because AirTran hired a lot of younger folks earlier on. Thoughts?

I think this is a critical point in the equation. DAL has shrunk and become "lean." No more downsizing for awhile...strictly increases in block hours. Now the only variable is the Age 65 thing (which will effect a lot of places, including DAL). With that said, the fact that no one has been hired since 2001 is huge. If you get hired at the beginning of this push you are sitting in a really good place. Just my 2 cents. But look at what happened at CAL for those guys hired in the summer of 2005. They now are almost holding captain...with 1000 pilots below them.

-Neal

I disagree, pilots still look at DAL now as a "Dream Job." Just like they view CAL as a "Dream Job." Why? Because they are legacy carriers with route structures that span the world, not just North America. DAL offers so many opportunities in base and equipment. Thus, it's a dream job, just a risky one. Airtran offers 1 base and 2 equipment types with an all domestic route structure if you don't count the Bahamas. SWA is 1 fleet type with multiple bases and one huge domestic route structure. When I was dreaming of being an airline pilot it was flying a 747 across the pond with 4 bars on my shoulder and not piloting a 737 drom DAL-ABQ-LAX-SMF with 4 bars on my shoulder. Right now the SWA or Airtran job is more stable and there are several reasons why that have already been discussed.

Cheers

Latest resources

Back