• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice Please! AirTran vs. Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It cracks me up to read so many "sure thing" replies. Anyone who has read the slightest bit of business history and airline history in particular, knows that there is no sure thing. This industry has morphed a thousand times and carriers have come and gone. In ten years Southwest may be a goner, brought down by over reliance on fuel-hedges, point to point route cherry picking and growing labor costs and the US domestic and International leader may be Cape Air. You never know. Our glorious cargo carriers might be brought down by the stroke of a pen when our government allows Cubana Cargo and Sri-Lanka Package Express to run parcels from Detrit to Tampa. You can only make your decision based on what you know today.

If I was to chose between AirTran and Delta I would consider stability of course but also factor in quality of life, home base, corporate culture and similar issues. Never burn a bridge if you can avoid it and ALWAYS be working on your next job. If there is one thing I regret was believing "this is the last job you will ever hold - because you will retire from here in many years a happy man". Now I keep my resume updated, alwys keep looking at the industry and work on plan B, C, D and so forth.

The one tiny benefit we see of the pension dumping is the portability of experience. Right now you can presently get high paying jobs as 777 Captain with Emirates, ANA and Cathay. That may become something you see here stateside. (direct hire Captains) When your carrier has no pension to hold over your head, you are more likely to run for greener pastures at some point. So NEVER assume you will finish your career with who you started. If you go to Tranny (or DAL), keep your eyes open to the next best thing. It may be smart at some point to jump ship and go fly as Oprah's pilot or start up a new carrier based out of Boise. Management relies on pilots not wanting change and they have wrung concessions out of us because too many believe they have to stay.

Well, I encourage you to do what many have mentioned and stay in the reserves. If anything, it is fun and gives you a chance to take a break from running from one concourse to another to do your third pre-flight of the day.

Good luck in your decisions...
SB

Either way Delta or Air Tran , keep the AF Reserve gig going until you get 20 years in.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Good advice, Crewdog. If stability is what you are after then don't look at the airlines with rose colored glasses on.

Active Air Force=Real Stability:beer:
Airlines + Reserves = partial stability
Airlines = Crap shoot:bomb:

I was in a situation similar to yours back in 98 when I left the Air Force active duty. US Air had not hired in 10 years and I got in on the beginning of the wave---had 1000 pilots behind me 6 months after I was hired and had better payrates than all but FedEx. Added to that all the pilots at US Air are old as dirt so it looked awsome on paper cause I was gonna be in the top 4% of seniority for my last 10 years. Still could be but who knows in this industry. Right now I am on military leave in the Reserves and making out lots better than I would at US Air. I command a desk now so for me to ever fly again it will be at US Air as a hobby, hopefully once I retire.

Good luck to you in your decission!

Get hired with Delta. Airtran appears to have a dark future.

Beerkeep! I'll have waht hee's havin. Duude, iz dat a legal sustance yoo be havvin? Do ya swill it, smokes it, or shootz it?

Bee carefull, dark future dude, causz looks at waht dat stuff done ta Anna Nicole Smitty an stuff. Now she da best actress under six feet an stuff, or iz it six feeet under, duude, I'm so friggin confused.

I ate tex-mex last night dude, and like itz killin me dude, friggin killin me.

I gotz ta read my Mexican-Ammerican translater book befoe I eatz dat stuff annymore. Enchillladder is mexican fer eddible butt dinomyte! If it aint, it sho feels like it dis mornin! Ya go ta sitz down, and likez CAH-BLAMMMMM!!!!

If dats da DARK FUTURE yoo be tawkin bouts at da Tranny den i reckon your friggin right, ole Geardown--buch o nummbers!

Naw Bro, Tranny done lookz purdy brite ta me, bro, yeah, purdy brite.

AWWWW YYEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Latest resources

Back