• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CrewDog97

Sure beats working...
Hey everybody,
I already have a training date lined up at AirTran in the near future, then Delta calls me this morning for an interview. I would appreciate anyone's input as to which will be the better company for my career and why you think so. Thanks in advance!

Take the training date and IF you get hired by DAL make the decision. I know that they are doing interivews at DAL as early as the 6th.
You have to ask yourself if you do not get the DAL job and you turn down Airtran are you going to be happy with your decision. If so put off your class, if not, it is a difficult call.
I turned down a class somewhere a month ago at a chance to interview at DAL. I got the call and now hope that the bet pays off. If not I accepted the fact that I may have screwed myself. It is all about what you want.

Where do you currently work and why do want to leave it for one of these two companies?

Airtran is a bit of a wild card right now. Contract negotiations, Eastern Management and a bit of an unknown future. They really haven't had to compete with healthy leagacies but that is going to change in the future.

Delta, well what can you say? They are going to have to merge with someone and that someone might be Pan Am, TWA or Eastern. If they don't find a partner it is likely they will be gone. It doesn't look like US Air but NWA is a possiblity. Then where would you be? On the street with a whole bunch of other folks. Plus your merging the volatile NWA pilot group with the Delta arrogance. I woudn't want to be in that mix.

To sum it though, I would go with Airtran. Better odds of a future and stability.

I can't believe I just said that.

If you go to Airtran, you will probably end up on the Southwest seniority list.

Right now I fly for the AF Reserves and this is my first opportunity to fly for anybody outside the Air Force. I'm looking for long term stability at a company with steady growth. Got snubbed by Southwest, and already applied with UPS & FedEx, but assuming they never call, I'm trying to find the right fit for me and my family. Thanks for the inputs!

Right now I fly for the AF Reserves and this is my first opportunity to fly for anybody outside the Air Force. I'm looking for long term stability at a company with steady growth. Got snubbed by Southwest, and already applied with UPS & FedEx, but assuming they never call, I'm trying to find the right fit for me and my family. Thanks for the inputs!

I would interview at Delta and then make a choice, I would then take Delta if offered the job.
Another option is NetJets. Your a cowboy fan, they have a base in Dallas, with a great contract. Do some research on them, you'll like what you find.

Hey everybody,
I already have a training date lined up at AirTran in the near future, then Delta calls me this morning for an interview. I would appreciate anyone's input as to which will be the better company for my career and why you think so. Thanks in advance!

How old are you? Under 40, I'd say go with Delta.

Keep the AirTran training date and go to the Delta interview. AirTran just posted their 8th consecutive profitable year. There management team has been in place the entire time, they've got a business plan that works, and they have aircraft orders on the books through the end of the decade.

Delta will live on in some form if they don't come out of bankruptcy as a stand alone. In terms of seniority, this would be the time to get on with them at the start of hiring wave. If they merge with someone, there may be some risk of being furloughed as a new hire if the new merged airline consolidates.

It also depends on what you'd like to fly long term. Delta would provide much greater variety with international flying, wide body aircraft, and multiple hubs. AirTran's only hub is Atlanta. They do west coast flying, but it's basically a super regional that qualifies as a major.

Delta has taken some severe cuts, but if you stacked the AirTran contract and benefits against the Delta contract and benefits I believe you'd would quickly realize why Delta is a legacy carrier and AirTran is a low cost carrier.

The wild card you have to consider is the financial solvency of Delta once they come out of bankruptcy. If they make it, I believe you would have much greater overall satisfaction at Delta. You've got to get the Delta job first.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back