• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Advice Please! AirTran vs. Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the replies thus far. Right now I'm 32, but one guy told me to look at it like this: Delta hasn't hired since 2001; so if I got hired now, it would basically be like I was hired in 2001. In 2001, I was 26, and I doubt there's too many guys that got hired at Delta before they were 26. So in the long run, I think I'd be pretty high with Delta's seniority numbers. Being new to the whole seniority thing, does this logic hold true? Not sure if the same could be said seniority-wise with AirTran; in fact, the opposite could be true because AirTran hired a lot of younger folks earlier on. Thoughts?

In five years from now would you rather be sitting in a 767 cockpit descending into Europe or would you rather be quick turning from Atlanta to Orlando?

It's an easy choice - go to Delta.

Nothing personal (great folks at the tranny), but I would go with Delta.

AAflyer

Lastly if you look at history over the past 30 years, who knows where you will end up. Make your pick and hold on for the ride.:)

AirTran is a very young pilot group. I've flown with Captains who are under 30. Unless people leave and go to another carrier, it will be a long, slow climb up the seniority ladder if we stop ordering airplanes. I'm an ex-military guy and I've flown international so I am happy to fly the JAX turn back to Atlanta but if you've not done a lot of international, I would highly recommend it. I've had some unbelievable experiences overseas. Of course, I've had fun in Altus, OK on an overnight. It's just a matter of who is there with you. Let's see. Tour the Kremlin in Moscow or see the Falls in Rochester, NY. You are relatively young, i'd take a hard look at Delta.

I've been flying cargo for the military for the past 9 years, so for the most part, I've completed all my overseas currency on every continent but Antarctica (and spent WAAAAAAY too many nights in Altus, OK). But like I said earlier, I'll happily fly overseas again if it guarantees my family some form of stability in this crazy industry.

WHat if it was the choice between Delta and Southwest...just a matter of time till someone asks. I suppose alot of the answers would be the same with equiptment and destinations...how about the pay? And upgrades? And moving up in seniority in the right seat from reserve to line holder?

...but one guy told me to look at it like this: Delta hasn't hired since 2001; so if I got hired now, it would basically be like I was hired in 2001...

I don't think it's the best analogy. What really matters is when you get hired now relative to everyone else for better seniority today and how old those people they hire are for better seniority at the end of your career. If they hire a bunch of people your age and younger who are senior to you, it won't help you when you're 65 (or 60). It also matters a great deal how many people they hire after they hire you.

The greatest danger of Delta is the possibility of merger and what that could mean for new hires. That's a wild card but something you must weigh. There's a smaller possibility that AirTran may end up merging with someone as well.

He said he got the "thanks for playing" letter from Southwest.

Thanks for the replies thus far. Right now I'm 32, but one guy told me to look at it like this: Delta hasn't hired since 2001; so if I got hired now, it would basically be like I was hired in 2001. In 2001, I was 26, and I doubt there's too many guys that got hired at Delta before they were 26. So in the long run, I think I'd be pretty high with Delta's seniority numbers. Being new to the whole seniority thing, does this logic hold true? Not sure if the same could be said seniority-wise with AirTran; in fact, the opposite could be true because AirTran hired a lot of younger folks earlier on. Thoughts?

A PCL dude that went with the first interview class was 24 or 25...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back