• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Adios F-14 Tomcat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for posting that video. It's a real sad thing to see this great bird be retired. I just got back from attending the retirement ceremony events in Va. Beach, and aside from the final flight it was all done very well.

I really did enjoy seeing it fly and the sound of those twin F110-GE-400 engines as it would scream by. Of all of the many times I have seen the F-14 over the years, this one was definately the saddest.

RIP TOMCAT. Thanks for all of the memories.

Last edited:
I, too, heard that the Friday morning final flight was pretty lame. A basic 350 knot & 500' straight-and-level pass. There was a collective sign amongst the attendees. Within a couple of hours, pilots/NFO's were sporting T-shirts lambasting the flyby.
Overall, though, it sounded like a great party.

Last edited:
Broke?

I heard today that the final flight taxied to the end of the runway and promptly broke. Luckily, they had a spare prepositioned at the end of the runway and it took off and completed the flight. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

I heard today that the final flight taxied to the end of the runway and promptly broke. Luckily, they had a spare prepositioned at the end of the runway and it took off and completed the flight. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

I was wondering that myself the other day. I was lucky enough to get on top of the Red Rippers hanger. We could see it taxi out and you could see the standby aircraft. I heard it was was some sort of electrical problem.

Dave,

I'm curious, why do you feel this is such a great Navy airplane? Most people would say it's probably one of the worst CAS platforms in either OEF/OIF.

Last edited:
From what I understand, it was a generator problem. After they started up one of the engines, the ground crew pulled out the ground power plug and 30 seconds later they plugged it back in. It was then that we knew something was wrong. I was standing about 100 feet from it while they started it up. My dad, a retired F-14 pilot said almost immediately that they already had a problem. He said that when they put the external power back in that it was most likely a failed generator.

They did have a turning spare at the hot pad for just this type of situation. It was definitely a different aircraft in that it had Felix instead of Grumman on the tail and drop tanks. We also later found out that they were told no afterburners, fly 500' or higher and 350KIAS or less. That is a pretty sad way to see this great airplane go out. We were all expecting at least a 5 minute demo. I guess it was just a sign of the "New" Navy.

Video:
Note, if you watch after the first engine is started about 30 seconds later you see them plug the ground power back in.

http://www.alert5.com/2006/09/tomcat-final-flight-taxi-22-september.html

Pictures:
http://www.alert5.com/gallery/TomcatSunset22?page=1

Last edited:
True Warriors??

The final F-14 flight is Friday at 10AM at NAS Oceana. I am fortunate enough to be able to attend the Tomcat Sunset Ceremony this weekend. So far all of the events have been great. It's very cool to be in the company of so many true warriors.

True Warriors?? Over the life of the airplane (30+ years) how many air-to-air kills?? Five maybe? The two Tomcat squadrons in our wing aboard USS JFK during Desert Storm expended nothing but chaff and flares. They sure wanted into the air to mud business after that debacle. 70's era airplane taking up too much real estate abourd ship to deliver two PGMs. Maintenance nightmare who's time to go passed years ago. Wont miss those primping Prima Ballerinas from the early 80s who said "..not a pound for air-to-ground.. you don't haul trash with a Caddilac.. etc". Wonder what their collective boarding rate was over the years...

Ya as much as I love the Hornet... the Tomcat definatley evolved into a fantastic multi-role a/c. The Tomcat 21 IMHO would have been a much better step in the evolutionary ladder than the Super Hornet. How many F-18's were doing FAC(A) work? None to my knowledge... and the thing was a bomb truck with way more gas.

Latest resources

Back