Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rottweiller

Seems that he failed the breathalyzer

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- An armed AirTran Airways pilot was charged with operating an aircraft under the influence after a federal screener at McCarran International Airport smelled alcohol, authorities said Thursday.

Las Vegas police arrested Oliver Paul Reason Jr., 37, in the cockpit of the AirTran plane shortly after he passed through an airport checkpoint Wednesday night, according to the Transportation Security Administration, police and the airline.

Orlando-based AirTran Holdings Inc. issued a statement Thursday saying the airline followed its safety procedures to ensure the Atlanta-bound aircraft was held at the gate.

"The captain neither took command of the aircraft nor was the aircraft operated in any manner," the airline said. It apologized to the 60 passengers inconvenienced by the canceled flight and said it is cooperating with authorities.

The pilot has been suspended from his duties as a federal flight deck officer, which had allowed him to carry the firearm, the TSA said.

If the Federal Aviation Administration finds that the pilot was intoxicated on the job, he will be barred from flying, FAA spokesman Donn Walker said.

The pilot, who has worked for AirTran since 1994, has been suspended indefinitely pending further investigation, airline spokesman Tad Hutcheson said. He added that police told airline officials that Reason had failed a Breathalyzer test.

Reason was being held Thursday at the Clark County jail. It was not immediately clear whether he had a lawyer.

After the terrorist hijackings on September 11, 2001, pilots' unions lobbied for permission to carry guns in the cockpit. Federal lawmakers granted approval the next year.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/13/intoxicated.pilot.ap/index.html

Hmmm, an awful lot of SSI has been unnecessarily and illegally released in this case. Maybe it's fortunate for him, since the proceeds from the lawsuit against whoever spilled the beans might be his only income for a while!

I agree that someone should recieve a lot of attention over the release of security sensitive information regarding this incident, but I dont imagine the pilot (former pilot) will be entitled to any damages as a result of it.

Flywrite said:
I agree that someone should recieve a lot of attention over the release of security sensitive information regarding this incident, but I dont imagine the pilot (former pilot) will be entitled to any damages as a result of it.

There was absolutely no reason to release the info, except to further sensationalize the story. The fact that he was an FFDO is not germaine in any way to the situation and the bottom line is that the public didn't "need to know".

I may be wrong, but IMHO, a good lawyer can set him up for life. Reckless endangerment of his family or something to that end.

Tripower455 said:
I may be wrong, but IMHO, a good lawyer can set him up for life. Reckless endangerment of his family or something to that end.

If he is guilty, he brought shame and ridicule upon himself, my airline, our profession, and the FFDO program.

Your suggestion that he has somehow been harmed by this is typical of a problem in our society today. Look, people are not always entitled to receive money for things that happen. That lottery-mentality doesn't fly with me.

He doesn't have any damages to show for the disclosure that he was an FFDO, and suggesting that a lawyer is going to find a jury that is sympathetic to the fact that this guy (if guilty) is somehow harmed by this- and entitled to taxpayer money because of it- is laughable.

It's not completely laughable...we're talking about the United States Judicial system...ridiculous and stupid things happen. Just look at OJ. His case should have been a slam dunk, but he's free.

Ty Webb said:
If he is guilty, he brought shame and ridicule upon himself, my airline, our profession, and the FFDO program.

Your suggestion that he has somehow been harmed by this is typical of a problem in our society today. Look, people are not always entitled to receive money for things that happen. That lottery-mentality doesn't fly with me.

He doesn't have any damages to show for the disclosure that he was an FFDO, and suggesting that a lawyer is going to find a jury that is sympathetic to the fact that this guy (if guilty) is somehow harmed by this- and entitled to taxpayer money because of it- is laughable.

This isn't a "lottery mentality".

Whether he is guilty or not has no bearing on the FFDO stuff. It was not a player, and the fact that someone ELSE made it so is the problem. Unless, of course, he shouted to the media that he was an FFDO as he was being dragged off in chains.

Whoever released the info that he was an FFDO, which had nothing whatsoever to do with the issue, is guilty of a security breach, regardless of the circumstances. That person may well have put his and his family's lives in danger. People have been paid for a lot less. Given the statement that your company's CEO made about the FFDO program early on, IMHO, he is a shoe in for a settlement, laughable or not.

I hope this doesn't do unrepairable damage to the FFDO program. This guy needs some help and I hope he gets it. Planes and alcohol don't mix, guns and alcohol don't mix, putting the three together is unbelievable.

The media and general public will put this in the past relatively quickly.
FFDO lawsuit? Nope. New Airtran frequent Flyer program where, after 10,000 miles, you get a free drink with the crew...oh yeah!

Good god people. This is local news only. Drunk pilots will always hit the news every now and then. Alcohol is a problem in every part of our society. It happens to every airline. To every work group.

As for the FFDO program, its not going to do a thing. As for security for his family, give me a freekin break. This is an isolated event. I doubt very much the bad guys are going to go after this guy because he carries a gun in the cockpit. Talk about paranoid. And as far as the media reporting this guy was an FFDO, good to show anyone can be carrying one in the cockpit. Even the ones with alcohol problems.

He took a calculated risk on himself and lost for the time being. My guess is he was indeed half wasted and now will have to pay the consequences.

He was arrested in the cockpit. i think his intention was to go flying. He should be punished in the way others before him have.

If anyone tries to defend this guy in the least, because they might be able to reflect on a time this could have been them.

Innocent until proven guilty. Of course. Two failed breath tests doesn't look good.

Stay clean, play by the rules and taxi faster than Ty.

Latest resources

Back