• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

According to Captain Reason......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for the FFDO program, its not going to do a thing. As for security for his family, give me a freekin break. This is an isolated event. I doubt very much the bad guys are going to go after this guy because he carries a gun in the cockpit. Talk about paranoid. And as far as the media reporting this guy was an FFDO, good to show anyone can be carrying one in the cockpit. Even the ones with alcohol problems.

I beg to differ. The fact that he has been through the program and had access to SSI that most pilots are not privvy to, makes him (and his family) a worthwhile target to the bad guys. While it's unlikely that something will happen, there IS the chance, and whoever revealed the information is criminally liable if something does happen.

There was no reason, and it was a crime, to reveal that he was an FFDO. (that's period. dot. end.)

If he were arrested for DUI on his day off, and the media made a big deal that he was a pilot (they found epaulets in his car!), would that be relevent to his DUI case? Neither is the fact that he was an FFDO.

Last edited:
That's one paranoid world you're in, buddy! "A worthwhile target for the bad guys"?! How about a little too much Grand Theft Auto at the Playstation!

Last edited:
crashpad said:
That's one paranoid world you're, buddy!

You're in it too...... evidently, you just don't realize it........ ;)

Besides, what indicates that I am paranoid....... I didn't make this stuff up...

Last edited:
The guy was the captain scheduled to operate the flight, he was carrying a loaded weapon, and he was under the influence. To me, these seem to be a combination of facts the traveling public might want to know. Not sure how you can say the FFDO fact isn't an important element in the story.

Tripower455 said:
There was no reason, and it was a crime, to reveal that he was an FFDO. (that's period. dot. end.)
Some states have laws that require holders of conceal carry permits to rise to a higher level of responsibility than ordinary citizens while carrying a firearm. I'm thinking the guy might have some federal charges thrown his way if it's illegal to carry a firearm, as a FFDO, while intoxicated and on duty.

Not sure how you can say the FFDO fact isn't an important element in the story.

Says a little about the TSA psych screening, doesn't it?

I agree with Tripower. The release of any FFDO info could have a damaging effect on security. I don't know, but the release was most likely illegal, meaning that the leaker should suffer a criminal penalty.

With that said, IF the pilot was in fact under the influence, he has to go. Period. Doubl-ly so if he was a FFDO. There is no room for such stupidity in either program (airline Captain, nor FFDO) My earlier point in simply that the media should not have been told about his FFDO status.

regards,
enigma

Not sure how you can say the FFDO fact isn't an important element in the story.

Explain how it IS relevent, and more to the point, why the public should be made aware of the fact. It has NO bearing on the being drunk case. If he weren't an FFDO, he would be in just as much trouble. Unless the gun was used in some way that violates the SOP, it isn't an issue (at least as far as the media is concerned). It's just another piece of issued equipment that he happened to be carrying, like his Jepps.

Some states have laws that require holders of conceal carry permits to rise to a higher level of responsibility than ordinary citizens while carrying a firearm. I'm thinking the guy might have some federal charges thrown his way if it's illegal to carry a firearm, as a FFDO, while intoxicated and on duty.

This may be the case but I don't think so. He is not a CCW holder (well, he might be, but for the purpose of this argument, that is also moot), he's a Federal Officer. My limited knowledge of the definitions in the SOP says that the second part might be a problem for him......

But it still doesn't change the fact that someone else violated the law, by revealing his FFDO status for no reason. It won't save him, but it might provide him some financial assistance in the future, especially if it was a company person that made the statement.

Didn't the president of Airtran say that he was "dead set against" the armed pilot program back when it was being discussed?

I think he might have a case.........

Last edited:
Tripower455 said:
There was absolutely no reason to release the info, except to further sensationalize the story.
Were you punning here, Tri? :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back