Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OPECJet said:
It was blue.

Oh, my, gawd! It was a student! I heard they were going to try to extend bennies to the students, too. So, I don't know if he's a brand-new non-revver, or if he paid for a ticket to go home and show off to the old gang.

I'm not sure how the student stripes place you in studenthood rank (LOL!), none-PVT, 1-Inst, 2-comm, 3-CFI???

At least they don't have to wear hats! (yet!!)

dueguard1 said:
Okay.............Wait a Sec, What's wrong with using a kneeboard..........And if the glideslope goes INOP what's wrong with starting a timer?

When you get to a regional you will know what is wrong with a kneeboard. Until then young Jedi just concentrate on those light gun signal cheat sheets on your kneeboard.

I see a lot of flight schools that require their CFI's to wear the pilot uniform. It’s a lot of the smaller ones too, not just those bigger pilot factories like FSI. Some instructors like it too, as well as the students since it gives them a feeling of authority and respect. They’re only trying to emulate what they want to be.
Personally, I think it's a little too much for some guy riding around in a 152 to wear stripes. One place I know of has the CFI wear 1 stripe, CFII 2 stripes and the MEI 3. I believe the owner felt the outfits gave the school a more professional appearance. Believe it or not, prospective students may psychologically feel better about paying more to attend a flight school that wears this uniform. Just the same, a lot of the instructors really don’t care to wear the uniform and hide it under a jacket.

I really miss the yoke clipboard in the dash8 (and the normal yoke for that matter). The 170 has a side clipboard that rotates around and makes a good arm rest for us left handers in the right seat. Half the time it breaks off and the little ball bearing falls into the window sill track.

The best part about the dhc8 clipboard was un-snapping it see what was written on the bottom.

I don't know about the CFI uniform thing I just wore an izod or button down shirt with kakies or jeans while CFIing, anything else is just plain overkill. 135 was dress pants/dress shirt and tie.

On the topic of telling people who you fly for in my case it depends on who you ask. The general public nows nothing about this industry. Sometimes its just easier to say US air or Delt instead of saying Comair and spending the next ten minutes explaining what Comair is instead of talking about something else that will help you into the chicks pants.

I'm not trying to be kool or anything by saying this but since 1997 I've always had to explain what 135 charter is and what ALG and the commuters are and so forth, I just sick of doing that.

Now when I out and am talking to someone outside of our industry and they ask what I do I say I'm a pilot for US Air. If they ask what I fly I say and E-170 and get a look from them which I follow up with "its a new 737" then they go "I took one of thoes to florida" and everyone is happy and i don't have to run my mouth about this division and that division and contract carriers and such bla bla bla.

Because Bla bla bla bla is basically what your saying to a non-aviation person when you try to explain anything further than "your and airline pilot for XXX airlines and you fly a 737", believe me they really don't care. Also when you get the question of "where do you fly" just keep it simple and say some general route out of your base. In my case I just say that I fly up and down the east coast.

Again I'm not trying to impress anyone just trying to keep things simple and the door to her pants open at the same time because there is no surer way to cock-block yourself than to run your own mouth about flying.

Last edited:
Definately fun looking to see what is scribbled under the clipboards in the Dash.

Fly_Chick said:
Was the uniform shirt white (instructor) or blue (student)?

Wait, not only do they have uniforms but they also have color-coded shirts?
For the love of God, where is the humanity here?

LearLove said:
On the topic of telling people who you fly for in my case it depends on who you ask. The general public nows nothing about this industry. Sometimes its just easier to say US air or Delt instead of saying Comair and spending the next ten minutes explaining what Comair is instead of talking about something else that will help you into the chicks pants.

Jumpseated on United once and the CA himself didn't know who I worked for until I mentioned the mainline affiliation.

Hovernut said:
Oh, my, gawd! It was a student! I heard they were going to try to extend bennies to the students, too. So, I don't know if he's a brand-new non-revver, or if he paid for a ticket to go home and show off to the old gang.

I'm not sure how the student stripes place you in studenthood rank (LOL!), none-PVT, 1-Inst, 2-comm, 3-CFI???

At least they don't have to wear hats! (yet!!)

Wonder if he had his C172 stanz manual with him? As far as I know, the students do not have bennies.

Student stripes (blue shirt) - none-PVT, 1-Inst, 2-comm, 3-multi, CFI, CFII

Instructor stripes (white shirt) - 3 - instructor, 4 - group leader or stage check pilot.

Latest resources

Back