ACA Grow or Flush?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crews per jet

Is there any merit to 20sx's post regarding 7 crews per jet? If so, the J41 retirements alone will necessitate 150 extra bodies.

7 crews per jet for 151 jets is over 2100 pilots.

Is it possible ACA is simply beefing up the numbers for the all-jet fleet?

Gator Aviator, Lets hope you are right. Another furlough would be devastating. The company must have a method to their madness.

Remember, the more fleet types you have, the more people you have "hangin in the training cycle" at any given time. Here at Continental Express, we had anywhere from 200-350 pilots "in training" at any one time when we had 3 to 4 fleet types on property. We will be all-jet on December 12, which is when we retire the last 6 of our ATR's. Single fleet type = 200-300 less pilots on property than with 3-4 fleet types. That translates to roughly $70-100million in payroll costs alone, not counting benefits. Nice savings for the company. Once you guys retire those 41's, expect to see fewer pilots on property per aircraft.

Which brings up another point, staffing is derived on a block-hour basis typically, and not on a "per airplane" basis. We continue to receive new airplanes at my airline but our block hours flown per month are only inching upward. Those, the aircraft utilization is going down per day. Thus, why hire more pilots when the flying is simply being spread amongst the additional aircraft?

-Neal

My info came from my IOE captain in August. He had a lot of knowledge about where the company is heading. He has flown the CRJ700 and said it was really nice and estimated we would get 50 or 60 of them. Also said starting in march that we would get 1 plane every 10 days for 2 years, which goes beyond what I though we had firm orders for. Also sees us making Denver a base sometime in the near future then way out there making San Fran one also.

If his info is bad than that means......sorry!

I hate to burst you bubbles, but at COMAIR it is common knowledge that ACA will noT be doing any additional flying for Delta than what it presently does. ACA's operation is a mess, and the only reason they are still flying Delta colors is we do not have enough airplanes.
ACA's operational numbers are continually in the basement. Why do you think they were not given the MCO flying? And some think they will get SLC? No way.
If I were looking for an airline to fly for, ACA would be a huge gamble. As soon as DCI has enough airplanes, Delta will cancel the contract, and a lot of ACA pilots will be out of work.
I am a sim instructor for Comair, and what I say is based on info I receive from higher ups. There will be no more DCI jets assigned to ACA.
The recently announced shift that reduces ACA's bases by pulling them out of LGA was done because of their bad performance numbers. COMAIR will be handleing them on the ground and DELTA will be handleing them at the gate. DELTA is just trying to get them operating at acceptable levels until they can replace them with COMAIR and ASA.

One of my buds from the Corps who now works management at Delta mainline tells a different story - the main theme being a portfolio of DCI carriers. In other words, Delta learned from Comair's strike last year and is spreadloading and intermeshing their connection carriers.

Why didn't we get MCO - hmmm, Fairchild Dornier going out of business and an inability to get more Dorniers might have played a part.......

Performance numbers - yes, they were in the toilet for a while but they have been steadily climbing. 4 factors: 1) having hubs at congested BOS and LGA hurt. 2) the Dornier Jet is new and has been a maintenance pig - and Fairchild Dornier's bankruptcy made it worse 3) the shortage of pilots due to sim availability and FAA availability 4) introduction of ACARS had an effect on on-time performance ( I don't know - does Comair use ACARS?)

LGA was closed because ACA was spread thin (parts, mechs, and pilots) with only 30 aircraft between 3 bases - consolidating into 2 bases (BOS holding steady and expanding in CVG) was logical, especially because it allowed Comair to take over a lot of the long and/or full flights. ACA is still running aircraft through LGA and doing the smaller routes.

Will ACA ever get CRJ's for the Delta side? My guess is no, (United side all CRJ, Delta all FRJ) but I do think we will pick up 328's by the 1's and 2's from smaller carriers. It is a great niche airplane for shorter and thinner routes, especially due to the low fuel burn.

IMHO, Comair, ASA, and SkyWest will be the mainstays of DCI while ACA and Chautuaqua fill niches. I am not worried about ACA (and thankful Delta has now given us pass benefits!).

I think its funny that people know the inside of ACA more than those who work at ACA. All these people who know higher ups don't have anything but rumors.

AFELLOWAVIATOR said:
I hate to burst you bubbles, but at COMAIR it is common knowledge that ACA will noT be doing any additional flying for Delta than what it presently does. ACA's operation is a mess, and the only reason they are still flying Delta colors is we do not have enough airplanes.

Who said anything about flying for Delta? That comprises only 20% of ACA's work.

Nothing like predicting your fellow ALPA pilots will be out on the street (and gloating about it.)

And I heard Delta will be dropping Comair and replacing all your flying with Mesa. So there!

AFELLOWAVIATOR said:

Enjoy LGA. Let's compare operational info. after a few months there. We're enjoying the smooth running machine of CVG.

AFELLOWAVIATOR [/i]
Why do you think they were not given the MCO flying? And some think they will get SLC? No way.

Nobdoy was "given" the flying from MCO, Chautaqua just under bid everyone for the job and now they are having problems setting up the base. Also Delta made the descion to put all RJ's in LGA not because our numbers are so bad!

Latest resources

Back