• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Recalling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MMmm but then, the UPS deal fell apart, and DHL's been losing 1Billion a year for 5 years here. Plus, they apparently have the money to spend on brand new 767ER's and pilot cost is the least of their financial woes. I'm thinkin it had more to do with undercutting AStar and bein worried about the others under the ATSG umbrella and Atlas/Polar than the May announcement.

Eh, its a moot point. Whether it was scope protection, or "concessionary" bargaining, it's always been "OK" if 1224 does it. Like I said....it's kinda nice to tap out and watch somebody else "deal" with DHL for a while. Good luck. Yall are gonna need it.

Fortunately for the guys at ABX unlike Astar we do not rely on DHL for all our work. Bad for you guys these are the choices we make to work for air carrier you choose. We keep hearing we took a hit for the DHL flying, we are adjusting to all the flying we do not only the DHL work. Some of this outside of DHL flying pays alot more and is more important than the DHL flying.

Fortunately for the guys at ABX unlike Astar we do not rely on DHL for all our work. Bad for you guys these are the choices we make to work for air carrier you choose. We keep hearing we took a hit for the DHL flying, we are adjusting to all the flying we do not only the DHL work. Some of this outside of DHL flying pays alot more and is more important than the DHL flying.

You are right that our work outside of DHL has greater returns and possible future growth. But rumor has it that DHL has asked its current international US based customers if they are interested in express service. WTF!?!?!? :eek: I laughed and shrugged it off as another crazy rumor, then heard it again from the outside.

So the question I have would be; if true, would they try and build it as Airborne had it with low cost product or try to go head to head with UPS and FedEx again? It sounds like they learned their lesson, but who knows whats true or false in their yellow world.

Speaking of problems, you took a major bath in the U.S., a market for which you had grand plans. What went wrong?
Our strategy to rebuild our domestic business in the U.S. wasn't wrong, but we stumbled in execution. We bought Airborne Express, which was a value player when we are inherently a premium player. We threw out the management at Airborne, which was a mistake. Instead of keeping our focus on being a value player, we took the premium route in a market where our two main competitors, FedEx and UPS, were premium brands. In sum, we over-invested, lost management talent and tried to get customers at prices that didn't justify the offering. The lesson is that when you make a domestic acquisition, then you must retain the local management. That's what we did in India when we acquired express firm Blue Dart to great success.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/08/dhl-logistics-ceo-leadership-logistics-appel.html

You are right that our work outside of DHL has greater returns and possible future growth. But rumor has it that DHL has asked its current international US based customers if they are interested in express service. WTF!?!?!? :eek: I laughed and shrugged it off as another crazy rumor, then heard it again from the outside.

So the question I have would be; if true, would they try and build it as Airborne had it with low cost product or try to go head to head with UPS and FedEx again? It sounds like they learned their lesson, but who knows whats true or false in their yellow world.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/08/dhl-logistics-ceo-leadership-logistics-appel.html

Shooter are you trying to make my head explode, I have finally gotten out of the fetal position from this whole DHL screw job, now you are telling me the rumor mill has them coming back as Airborne Part 2. I don't know if I can take any more of this.

That settles it I am going to stop waiting around for my severance and go get a better flying job, I am thinking Brown, Purple or maybe even Delta.............. Oh crap I am like 3 or 4 years too late...............

Oh well, back to the fetal position, I think I will add bed wetting, that should help.

Shooter are you trying to make my head explode, I have finally gotten out of the fetal position from this whole DHL screw job, now you are telling me the rumor mill has them coming back as Airborne Part 2. I don't know if I can take any more of this.

That settles it I am going to stop waiting around for my severance and go get a better flying job, I am thinking Brown, Purple or maybe even Delta.............. Oh crap I am like 3 or 4 years too late...............

Oh well, back to the fetal position, I think I will add bed wetting, that should help.
Box, the bed wetting may not help. However, as it gets colder in Ohio and we can no longeer afford high heat bills. May just be an option.

I don't want to imply anything. I just found the rumor shocking as they had (and screwed away) a nice customer base they got when they bought Airborne.

Don't lose too much sleep over DHL rumors. It's their business, their customers they will try and lure back. All we do is work the aircraft to where they want them to go. It sure would be nice that they go the Airborne way and build their business. It could mean more work for ABX and that was all I was trying to say...in the long version.

EDIT: But rumor #2 is that CVG is not working out too well for DHL.

Last edited:
I don't want to imply anything. I just found the rumor shocking as they had (and screwed away) a nice customer base they got when they bought Airborne.

Don't lose too much sleep over DHL rumors. It's their business, their customers they will try and lure back. All we do is work the aircraft to where they want them to go. It sure would be nice that they go the Airborne way and build their business. It could mean more work for ABX and that was all I was trying to say...in the long version.

EDIT: But rumor #2 is that CVG is not working out too well for DHL.

Have heard from ABX that the "state of the art" CVG hub is pretty dicked up and already to small accordind to DHL. Looking at the option of going back to ILN. (dont shoot the messenger)

Have heard from ABX that the "state of the art" CVG hub is pretty dicked up and already to small accordind to DHL. Looking at the option of going back to ILN. (dont shoot the messenger)

:eek: GTFO! :eek:

Although I should not be surprised by anything DHL does anymore, this one would really surprise me unless they have some partner to absorb ILN operating costs. Although ABX did it for decades, DHL can't seem to "get it". Any ATI or Cappy guys know if the BAX TOL hub has room for DHL?

Once again....just another reason why I am seriously....seriously glad to let yall have it. Personally, I hope yall get all the outside flying you can, combine groups, raise the bar again and then tell DHL to pound sand if they don't like it. Maybe they can get UPS back on their crazy train. DHL's by far the most dicked up outfit (at least in the US) I have EVER worked for...and that's saying something. WOE...to anybody unfortunate enough to get that funk into their system for long. It's cancerous.

How many airplanes does DHL work in CVG these days? BAX used to handle over 40 each night in TOL about 10 years back. There were 727s and DC-8s parked up and down both sides of the available ramp as well as down the center taxi way. Glad I wasn't in charge of coordination of aircraft movement on the ramp back then! Lately, I doubt there are even 20 aircraft there each night between us, Cappy, and the Canadians, and there is a new ramp area that could accommodate at least a dozen more aircraft extending off to the west. There's plenty of more room available for more ramp, too. I have heard that BAX has signed a facilities agreement with TOL through 2013. A few problems with TOL are that it's single runway (for our purposes anyway...), and no Cat II available, although I understand Astar never had Cat II cert, nor do we, nor does Cappy.

If the CVG rumor is true, I'm sure ILN would love to see some jobs come back, but I'm also guessing the entire town and county would be soured on the prospect of working for the old boss.

Latest resources

Back