• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But after you've cut the grass and fed the cat it might be a good idea to dust off the resume and assume the position.

DHL buys 49% of Astar. So what? DHL used to own 100% of what was then known as DHL "Airways" and it wasn't that great a place to work...B-list money, crappy, outdated, and/or obsolete equipment, lethargic management, and much of "our" work subcontracted to ACMI carriers.

The money's better now, but not much else has changed. The equipment is a little better too, but the management is a lot worse. The only good news is that now, a S/O can make 100K/yr. The bad news is that that's as far as he'll get for 6 or 7 years...about the same amount of time it takes to go from "New Hire" to "Captain" (at 2 1/2 times the money) at UPS or FedEX.

The announcement of DHL's purchase raises more questions than it provides answers. Some people are looking at it and saying "Yippee! DHL came to our rescue!" I'm looking at it and wondering "Why did Dasburg and his investors want out?"

DHL buys 49% of Astar. So what? DHL used to own 100% of what was then known as DHL "Airways" and it wasn't that great a place to work...B-list money, crappy, outdated, and/or obsolete equipment, lethargic management, and much of "our" work subcontracted to ACMI carriers.

The money's better now, but not much else has changed. The equipment is a little better too, but the management is a lot worse. The only good news is that now, a S/O can make 100K/yr. The bad news is that that's as far as he'll get for 6 or 7 years...about the same amount of time it takes to go from "New Hire" to "Captain" (at 2 1/2 times the money) at UPS or FedEX.

The announcement of DHL's purchase raises more questions than it provides answers. Some people are looking at it and saying "Yippee! DHL came to our rescue!" I'm looking at it and wondering "Why did Dasburg and his investors want out?"

More pearls of wisdom. Dasburg and his investors are from out. I think your UPS and FedEx rates are a little off also. Your "answers" will come in due time.

Yeah, it does. The real question it raises is why someone apparently so pleased he's no longer here at Astar spends so much time waxing eloquent about how much it suck$ to be us. I've worked for a variety of truly awful places myself, but the difference is I don't sit around on the internet years later trying to make myself feel better about my decision to leave. I moved on. Apparently Whistlin' has not. That's really kinda sad.

I think your UPS and FedEx rates are a little off also.
By golly, I do believe you're right! The latest pay and upgrade info over on that "other" website shows that it's MORE than 7 years to F/O at Astar, more like 8. And it's AVERAGES about 6 1/2 to Captain at FedEx and UPS.

So, a pilot who's spent the last 7 years at Astar will make around 82K this year. A pilot who's spent the last 7 years at UPS will make "only" 191K this year. Clearly, 191 is NOT "2 1/2 times as much" as 82K. It's only about 2 1/3 as much. Thank you for calling that to my attention!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

(Of course, the UPS pilot probably spent the last 2 or 3 years in the right seat of something, where he made an additional 100-150K more than the Astar pilot. The UPS guy is also flying crew-eating International WB vs. local, narrow-body sit-n-waits, but I don't want to get into all that...)

More pearls of wisdom. Dasburg and his investors are from out. I think your UPS and FedEx rates are a little off also. Your "answers" will come in due time.

you should really:
1. get a life
2. quit posting
or 3. quit with the cryptic grade school "I know a secret, I know a secret" B.S.

Maybe you can just enlighten all of us with the "answers" oh mighty one or go play with your management "team".

Yeah, it does. The real question it raises is why someone apparently so pleased he's no longer here at Astar spends so much time waxing eloquent about how much it suck$ to be us. I've worked for a variety of truly awful places myself, but the difference is I don't sit around on the internet years later trying to make myself feel better about my decision to leave. I moved on. Apparently Whistlin' has not. That's really kinda sad.
So where did the Whistlin' Whacko move on to?

Does anyone like tunafish?
I'm sure Doomsday Dan is enjoying his crow.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back