• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX 1224 how low will you go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Basically, yes. The Airbus's and 727's have already been parked. The DC-8 operation is still alive and well, but no telling how long that will last once ABX starts making 767's available.

The problems at Astar ran deep, and had been brewing for several years. ABX's hourly labor rates, which were actually higher than Astar's, had absolutely NO bearing on the latter's massive RIF.

Criticism of ABX pilots over their ongoing negotiations is both unfair and unwarranted. The biggest players in the business, UPS and FedEx, have been forced to take concessions in order to preserve jobs, and I know quite a few currently-unemployed Astar guys who wish they still had the opportunity to do so. ABX and 1224 are simply doing whatever they need to do to stay in the game until the economy improves.

You're showing your idiocy once again Jim M.

There are no "unemployed" Astar pilots currently. You of all people should understand the term "unemployment", that's what happened to you after you were terminated for incompetence.

All Astar pilots are still currently on the payroll until March 2010.

Just vote NO. The online voting instructions are loud and clear, and I've already given a loud and clear NO vote to whatever it is that 1224 believes they've attained in my name - not that I recall Muckle ever asking me what I wanted. Reading my mind are you Joe? Tw_t. Nothing more, nothing less.

Note to ibt1224: you speak for yourself, but not for me. Do not include me in any Yes vote. We (as a group - ABX pilots) have much leverage to play to get a better deal. We just need to grow a pair of hairy ones to play the DHL verses lift game.

Let DHL managers strap the freight on their backs and run along I75 to deliver it. Isn't going to happen: Vote NO, call their bluff. Better yet, DHL please feel free to Foxtrot Oscar back to Germany and the failed Third Reich to which you so obviously belong.

Too bad about fat boy Gerdes. Did that foul, quivering, living corpse of the thousand-yard-stare lump of perspiratory lard really take $1.5M with him after being unceremoniously booted from office?

If $1.5M disappeared up Fat Boy's rear end a resounding NO is the only way to go and wait for the better offer because you know if DHL (through ABXair) can afford to pay off the dysfunctional Captain-of-nothing-turd Gerdes it can afford a much improved bottom line in its final CBA offer to those who actually fulfill a meaningful role by delivering the freight.

Note to the supreme Fuhrers of DHL: see the above reference to strapping freight on your backs and trotting along I75 should the above not hold resonance. Hell, tell you what - I'll even give you DHL types a free ( as in gratuitous) flying-boot kick up your rear-ends to get you started on your journey to points afar.

DHL is in long term decline, they can't afford to screw those who carry their freight. Too bad for them (incompetent idiots), not too bad in the short term for those able to make them pay for their incompetence.

Let's go for it while we can: vote NO and await a better offer. DHL are on their backsides and can't refuse - they're not in a position of strength from which to fight us.

Last edited:
Do you really think with over half the pilots on the street and a severance agreed to this will get voted down.

If you secure the severance first and pay it out, then you could get a no vote. Just trying to be realistic, I would love to give it to Hete, Grabber and the Germans. Screw all of them, but pay me my money first.

Just vote NO. The online voting instructions are loud and clear, and I've already given a loud and clear NO vote to whatever it is that 1224 believes they've attained in my name - not that I recall Muckle ever asking me what I wanted. Reading my mind are you Joe? Tw_t. Nothing more, nothing less.

Note to ibt1224: you speak for yourself, but not for me. Do not include me in any Yes vote. We (as a group - ABX pilots) have much leverage to play to get a better deal. We just need to grow a pair of hairy ones to play the DHL verses lift game.

Let DHL managers strap the freight on their backs and run along I75 to deliver it. Isn't going to happen: Vote NO, call their bluff. Better yet, DHL please feel free to Foxtrot Oscar back to Germany and the failed Third Reich to which you so obviously belong.

Too bad about fat boy Gerdes. Did that foul, quivering, living corpse of the thousand-yard-stare lump of perspiratory lard really take $1.5M with him after being unceremoniously booted from office?

If $1.5M disappeared up Fat Boy's rear end a resounding NO is the only way to go and wait for the better offer because you know if DHL (through ABXair) can afford to pay off the dysfunctional Captain-of-nothing-turd Gerdes it can afford a much improved bottom line in its final CBA offer to those who actually fulfill a meaningful role by delivering the freight.

Note to the supreme Fuhrers of DHL: see the above reference to strapping freight on your backs and trotting along I75 should the above not hold resonance. Hell, tell you what - I'll even give you DHL types a free ( as in gratuitous) flying-boot kick up your rear-ends to get you started on your journey to points afar.

DHL is in long term decline, they can't afford to screw those who carry their freight. Too bad for them (incompetent idiots), not too bad in the short term for those able to make them pay for their incompetence.

Let's go for it while we can: vote NO and await a better offer. DHL are on their backsides and can't refuse - they're not in a position of strength from which to fight us.

GREAT POST HEAVYJET! I wish your words would stop what is about to happen.

I started this thread to try and grasp what exactly the mindset of the 1224 must be and the pilots employed still and those layed off. I do not care about ABX in particular but I do care about the destruction and constant decline of what was once my dream and a proud profession. To try and understand why pilots allow it to happen. I know we can't control everything but there are ways to stop this madness.
I will lose my job at Astar shortly but I leave along with 360 of my fellow pilots having given up NOTHING and that feels good.
For nitefr8, thanks for the concern about my job search but I have landed a job outside of flying with telecommunications (not selling cell phones) :) company and so I'll be OK. Good luck.

P.S. Its 9 to 5 and that ain't 9pm to 5am, cheers.

ABX pilot have the 767s. DHL isnt going to pay to refleet Astar. I understand a few tweeks in work rules maybe even a small paycut to get the severance released and gain some hope of job security. I hope the cuts arent too deep because you know your not getting much. Not when DHL is involved.

.....and gain some hope of job security

Uh with DHL and Hete involved that's non-existant.

And Flyin....come on dude, you know the answer to this question.... If 1224 takes pay cuts, work rule changes, or enforces scope, etc in order to preserve flying, DHL or otherwise...it's OK because they're CATII/III. If AStar tries to enforce the scope section of a contract that DHL signed to preserve flying that was contractually already theirs....not OK. I heard the agreement is pedicated on job protection provisions and a "a long term ACMI with DHL"....yeah, ok, lets see....we had job protection, growth provisions and an ACMI through 2019. You boys aint payin attention....when DHL "signs off" and Hete get's you to sign you can know two things:
A. DHL and Hete have already figured a way out to bend you over the day after signing OR
B. They'll bend you over illegally and it'll take you until your next contract is over to get a judgement in court...at which point DHL will offer you a "deal" to settle the suit.

You MIGHT get a few months out of it before you'll start to see the screw job train rollin into town. But yall enjoy the victory while ya can.

.....and gain some hope of job security

Uh with DHL and Hete involved that's non-existant.

And Flyin....come on dude, you know the answer to this question.... If 1224 takes pay cuts, work rule changes, or enforces scope, etc in order to preserve flying, DHL or otherwise...it's OK because they're CATII/III. If AStar tries to enforce the scope section of a contract that DHL signed to preserve flying that was contractually already theirs....not OK. I heard the agreement is pedicated on job protection provisions and a "a long term ACMI with DHL"....yeah, ok, lets see....we had job protection, growth provisions and an ACMI through 2019. You boys aint payin attention....when DHL "signs off" and Hete get's you to sign you can know two things:
A. DHL and Hete have already figured a way out to bend you over the day after signing OR
B. They'll bend you over illegally and it'll take you until your next contract is over to get a judgement in court...at which point DHL will offer you a "deal" to settle the suit.

You MIGHT get a few months out of it before you'll start to see the screw job train rollin into town. But yall enjoy the victory while ya can.

Sour grapes! What we did get and probably the most important is our retirement worth roughly 2-3.5m per pilot. The union and the company agreed to disburse the funds after ratification so the rest means little to me I will ride this mule until it dies. Or until DHL goes away then I will continue to fly AEROMEX,TNT or any of the 5-6 other companies we do work for DHL is just one of many. I know that is a deal killer for ASTAR not having DHL freight but it is not the end all for ABX.

Last edited:
Sour grapes, my a$$. It's called reality.

You can work at RAH wages. 1224 and the RAH Teamsters are setting the bar pretty low for the rest of us.

Sour grapes, my a$$. It's called reality.

You can work at RAH wages. 1224 and the RAH Teamsters are setting the bar pretty low for the rest of us.

Actually after 3/10 ABX will be the highest paid ACMI carrier anywhere and make more than all but 3 of the US major airlines. Get your facts straight.

Latest resources

Back