• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX 1224 how low will you go?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
they may be able to dictate who, but for how much is another story. If you get the chance, physical challenge, just pass and walkaway

Nice "trade unionism".

How many ABX guys do you think you will be able to treat in such a manner before the FAA shuts down your training department?

Not to mention the EEOC charges...

Hmmmmm.....

I can see how some "Lame A$$ Mainline or Commuter crew" might not ask you to "Bow and Curtsy" after reading that.

They'll just say "no"

Just sayin', that's all...

Again at this point I do not care... I do not Jumpseat to Work! And jumpseats Do Work Both Ways. But no one would care to see a Jumpseat war.

One other question I would think our guys would have... Lets say your the "surviving" carrier at ATSG and were hiring, would ATI & Cappy be hired on at your division? With full seniority benefits as you could possibly have with us?

Last edited:
I can't speak for ATI as a group,but I have been a freight dog for a lot of years and have seen a few things..I have never seen a subsidiary company,supposedly on the same rung in the company hierarchy, belonging to a different union, write a side letter to a contract dictating hiring practices,rates of pay and benefits and seniority and expect the other company to like it..The last guy recalled by ATI would have his seniority adjusted for the time he was furloughed,his vacation prorated and his pay adjusted accordingly. The first guy hired after him under this side letter from ABX would bring his current seniority for pay and vacations,etc,with him. How would that make our last guy called back feel to know the guy one number junior to him makes a lot more money and gets more vacation,sick days,etc..? I have never seen a guy quit one company and carry all this with him...Maybe I am missing something here, but the ability of a seperate airline,under a seperate union to write policy for another airline is something I just can't understand. Makes one wonder what else might be coming down the road if there is something else your "seperate company" decides to write a side letter about. Your contract is betweenyour pilot group and ABX, not the pilot group and ATSG.

Again at this point I do not care... I do not Jumpseat to Work! And jumpseats Do Work Both Ways. But no one would care to see a Jumpseat war.

One other question I would think our guys would have... Lets say your the "surviving" carrier at ATSG and were hiring, would ATI & Cappy be hired on at your division? With full seniority benefits as you could possibly have with us?

Is it in your contract? If it is then the answer is yes! I f not then this is your chance to put it in. I have said before everything can be yours for a price.

I can't speak for ATI as a group,but I have been a freight dog for a lot of years and have seen a few things..I have never seen a subsidiary company,supposedly on the same rung in the company hierarchy, belonging to a different union, write a side letter to a contract dictating hiring practices,rates of pay and benefits and seniority and expect the other company to like it..The last guy recalled by ATI would have his seniority adjusted for the time he was furloughed,his vacation prorated and his pay adjusted accordingly. The first guy hired after him under this side letter from ABX would bring his current seniority for pay and vacations,etc,with him. How would that make our last guy called back feel to know the guy one number junior to him makes a lot more money and gets more vacation,sick days,etc..? I have never seen a guy quit one company and carry all this with him...Maybe I am missing something here, but the ability of a seperate airline,under a seperate union to write policy for another airline is something I just can't understand. Makes one wonder what else might be coming down the road if there is something else your "seperate company" decides to write a side letter about. Your contract is betweenyour pilot group and ABX, not the pilot group and ATSG.

You keep talking about ABX pilots quiting to go to ATI, this is for the ABX pilots on FURLOUGH I say again the pilots on FURLOUGH!. No one at ABX currently flying has any desire to work at ATI, lets see quit ABX flying a 767 take a hugh pay cut and fly a DC8. Not going to happen.This sideletter was agreed upon in the event ATI or Capitol happened to be hiring a furloughed pilot could get back to work. And actually the CEO of ATSG Joe Hete is the one who signed off on our contract, this SL and he will be the one you deal with on your contract like it or not.

Nice "trade unionism".

How many ABX guys do you think you will be able to treat in such a manner before the FAA shuts down your training department?

Not to mention the EEOC charges...

Had nothing to do with training... The second sentence was an inside joke about interviews (not abx specific). My only real point is that ATI has a CBU that must agree to compensation, which longevity is a part of. No management entity (ATI or ATSG) can make changes unilaterally.

Had nothing to do with training... The second sentence was an inside joke about interviews (not abx specific). My only real point is that ATI has a CBU that must agree to compensation, which longevity is a part of. No management entity (ATI or ATSG) can make changes unilaterally.

My apologies for taking it the wrong way. I guess everyone is just a little sensitive over this matter.

We already have home basing (except for MIA) and we've already taken a hit on pay for it. To give up something just to keep our home basing would be concessionary and we're not going to do that.

I think you'll find a lot of support for the home basing system from ABX pilots; both those furloughed and still employed. Our negotiators proposed home basing in our current negotiations and the company wanted no part of it.

Would they also expect to keep recall rights in case "the big bucks airline" found an opening for them?

From what I understand, it would be a two-year lock-in. After the lock-in you could choose to return to ABX if your number was recalled.

You keep talking about ABX pilots quiting to go to ATI, this is for the ABX pilots on FURLOUGH I say again the pilots on FURLOUGH!. No one at ABX currently flying has any desire to work at ATI, lets see quit ABX flying a 767 take a hugh pay cut and fly a DC8. Not going to happen.This sideletter was agreed upon in the event ATI or Capitol happened to be hiring a furloughed pilot could get back to work. And actually the CEO of ATSG Joe Hete is the one who signed off on our contract, this SL and he will be the one you deal with on your contract like it or not.
I understand the furloughed part...Quit was a poor choice of words..I think I was tired and irritated at the time...What I meant to say is that I have never seen a FURLOUGHED PILOT retaining his seniority when being hired by a seperate company with a different union. This side letter was done "behind the curtain" without any conversation between ABX And ATI EXCO's and MEC's.The intent of this letter was not just to put out of work pilots back in a seat,but in a seat with a safety cushion.
I can see Mr.Hete telling Mr. Hobson that FULOUGHED ABX PILOTS should have priority over "off the street" applicants. But telling us that new hire ABX PILOTS have a right to make more money and benefits than recently recalled ATI PILOTS or "off the street" new hires is another story!
I also agree that we are dealing with Mr. Hete on our new contract, but I don't think he can change the hiring, pay, and seniority policies that are currently in our contract. If he can do that,none of our contracts,yours included, are worth the paper they are written on.

Latest resources

Back