AA's Priorities

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kugelblitz

I just saw on the Airwise News thread that AA is starting to renegotiate their contract. APA president Breslin indicated what their priorities were. Not suprisingly, recalling the 2700 pilots that have been out of work for the last 5 years was not one of them. No way the furloughees' economic privations are as significant as those who kept their job during this time. Afterall, one AA FO shamelessly posted how he had to sell his .5MILL dream home. Something he worked hard for and deserved...........

What a lovely bunch you are.

That's okay, out of the 2700, only about 900 will probably come back.

Its' not okay for the 900 who need to get back. Get them back first, then worry about ones' SUV's and what ones' squandron buddies are making at Fedex or wherever.

I just saw on the Airwise News thread that AA is starting to renegotiate their contract. APA president Breslin indicated what their priorities were. Not suprisingly, recalling the 2700 pilots that have been out of work for the last 5 years was not one of them. No way the furloughees' economic privations are as significant as those who kept their job during this time. Afterall, one AA FO shamelessly posted how he had to sell his .5MILL dream home. Something he worked hard for and deserved...........

What a lovely bunch you are.

Kugel,

Recalls are a hot item right now at the Co (or rather, the lack of recalls.) You must understand that while all of us want to see recalls start ASAP, most of the Membership is not going to be suckered in to a substandard contract just to get guys back - including yours truly (one number from the bottom!) In fact, I would vote for my very own furlough in exchange for a kick a$$ contract, and most of our furloughees have indicated they want good working conditions to come back to. That is what the union is trying to do.

By going to the company and indicating that recalls are our number one priority, what message do you think that sends the company, from a negotiating standpoint? A little thinking outside the box will provide the answer. Hint - when you want something during negotiations, you don't show your face cards.

So don't take it personally, it is just business negotiations. Realize that AA will HAVE to recall eventually - that is not up for negotiation. So why negotiate for it right now when they HAVE to do it eventually? We will just end up giving up yet another perk our profession has worked so hard to get. in exchange for something the company has to do anyways. Doesn't make sense.

Here's to all our furloughees coming back to the best contract in the industry.

p.s. I have no symapthy whatsoever for pilots who overextend themselves with $5M houses, boats, etc. and then complain about it later. Most of us don't.

As it was so brilliantly put by a strong union to the company during the 80's furloughs, "bringing back the furloughees is your (AMR's) problem, not ours (APA)."
That is the same stand the union needs to have now.

As it was so brilliantly put by a strong union to the company during the 80's furloughs, "bringing back the furloughees is your (AMR's) problem, not ours (APA)."
That is the same stand the union needs to have now.

I am not so sure that this statement is the APA bolstering remark you make it out to be. There are different ways to interpret the notion that furloughees are not APA's problem. It doesn't sound very unifying to me (how would you feel as a dues paying furloughee about that sentiment?), plus big, tough talk is easy and cheap for those who have a job and are able to pay bills and eat. For some reason though, everytime I have ever mentioned the furloughee perspective it is always dismissed as invalid as though the furloughed individual is to irrational to see the big picture.

I do hope the longer post above from the AA gentlemen is an accurate reflection of what is truly on the minds of the rank and file AA pilot. American will cement its' public opinion (at least amongst aviation professionals) with the way it handles this recall situation.

For my former colleagues who are waiting to return to AA, I do wish you the best and hope that you don't utlimately end up where so many National and Pan AM pilots did thanks to the loving, self-less Delta pilots.

Last edited:
APA president Breslin indicated what their priorities were.... What a lovely bunch you are.

I am sorta out of touch, but I believe Ralph Hunter is the APA President. Who's Breslin?

The pilots of AA and TWA have taken it up the whazoo in the name of saving the company, while management gets huge bonuses. I would not paint with too broad a brush when you characterize the pilots as whining playboys losing their expensive houses.

And thanks for the nice sign off. We are a disfunctional bunch indeed, but if you are saying something else in a left handed compliment, just come on and say it.

Remember Kugal, most of the furloughees are TWA. APA doesn't give a s*&t about them.

Latest resources

Back