• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI offer extended (again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm so tired of flying with guys who come from the military or regionals and expect to be a captain right away. Even if the Midwest deal goes through you are still going to get probably the fastest upgrade at a Major in the industry right now. So contract or no contract, you need to ask yourself a question. Do I want to be part of the team or not.

This is going to get some FOs on this board heated up. I came straight from the military. Did I expect or feel like I deserved to be a Part 121 Captain right away?...no. Do I think I'll be ready to upgrade at where the current AirTran upgrade time frame is (three years)?...absolutely. If it goes longer than three years.. absolutely friggin absolutely.

I expect FO pay in the new contract to be competitive with other carriers up to where the AirTran upgrade time is expected to be over the life of the new contract+new negotiations. Do I think it should be lucrative enough to cause FOs to homestead in the right seat and delay upgrade?...absolutely not....that money should be used to pump up the captain pay rates or improve other areas of the contract...duty rigs, trip rigs, 401k contribution, insurance, per diem, etc.

I don't bring up contract, upgrade, or my background in the cockpit unless asked. If the Captain doesn't want to talk about those things, we can talk about hookers or what Hillary Clinton looks like with no clothes on. No skin off my back.

TI expect FO pay in the new contract to be competitive with other carriers up to where the AirTran upgrade time is expected to be over the life of the new contract+new negotiations.
Which begs the question:

How long do you think that will be?

5 years? 7 years? You included "the life of the new contract + new negotiations" which adds another 3-4 years on there.

I know what I think, but how far out do you (and others) think our F/O pay scale should be "competitive" before it goes to COLA?

Do I think it should be lucrative enough to cause FOs to homestead in the right seat and delay upgrade?...absolutely not....that money should be used to pump up the captain pay rates or improve other areas of the contract...duty rigs, trip rigs, 401k contribution, insurance, per diem, etc.
Slight hijack...

Straight from AP's mouth during recurrent:

"The insurance matter is one the company has absolutely REFUSED to budge on. They've indicated there is room to negotiate in other areas, but absolutely ZERO reduction in insurance premiums."

That was just this last Monday.

AP was also asked about the possibility of starting our own negotiated insurance rate for a group with a Blue Cross/Blue Shield HMO kind of deal since many of us have looked it up and we can get better rates individually than the company's "group" rates.

The answer was that the problem is *SOME* pilots have family members with pre-existing health conditions that raise the overall premiums to where it averages out to be the same or higher than the company's rates and yes, that means it's been looked at before.

Which begged the question, "How much does the company *claim* they pay of our health insurance?" The answer was the company *claims* they pay 60% of the premiums and we pay 40% (approximate).

That means in a bronze level HMO plan (cheapest) that a pilot with a family pays $384 per month and the company pays over $500? That makes the total cost over $900 bucks a month for one family?

I'm not buying it.

Wondering if a "healthy pilot insurance" group can be formed for everyone who fits the profile of having no major health issues with them or their families and seeing what kind of rate they would get as a negotiated discount with coverages better than or equal to the existing coverage. If it's $100 a month cheaper or more, might be worth getting a large number of people to switch over at open enrollment if we can't get the company to come down on the rates...

Just a thought. Inputs?

/thread hijack

"That means in a bronze level HMO plan (cheapest) that a pilot with a family pays $384 per month and the company pays over $500? That makes the total cost over $900 bucks a month for one family? "

My bronze HMO is $307 per month for family, still to high. But it is cheaper and better than what my wife had working for a large hospital chain.

My last company paid for the pilots but if you needed family you had to pay for it $1000 per month.

at my last airline, insurance was 100% free. Now, as far as getting a "healthy" group of pilots together - i'd be voted off the island cause my wife has a "pre-existing condition".

My buddy who just completed AAI recurrent said that during the union speech,that there is even an idea floating to hire low time @200hour pilots from Embry Riddle.

Not a bad idea for Airtran since they would get folks and probably retain them for a long time. Also Embry Riddle products are the best in the industry by far. I would go as far to say they are better trainied than military pilots.

Not a bad idea for Airtran since they would get folks and probably retain them for a long time. Also Embry Riddle products are the best in the industry by far. I would go as far to say they are better trainied than military pilots.

So very true, and they have some hot female pilots too!!

WOW.

Thats all I have to say about that....

Im speechless:eek: Because I just fell over laughing.

Last edited:
Better trainied....? Care to quantify that little pearl of wisdom junior.

Latest resources

Back