• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to recall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is an important omission in the AE MEC's summary - there are 710 furloughed pilots senior to the group of pilots furloughed on 28 Feb. So about 805 pilots have to be offered recall before the junior pilot in the 28 Feb group gets recalled.

A couple of thoughts:

First, it's a summary, not the actual arbitrated document. Second, try reading it again.

BTW,
You Might Be a Coastie if....

1. People ask you what you're doing beyond the three mile limit

2. After boot camp, you've never fired a gun

3. Your port calls have more bars in them than people

4. If you've had people say to you, "The Coast Guard is military?"

5. If your ship is handed a list of businesses your crew is not welcome at during their port call...

6. You can get an alcohol incident and advance in the same week.

7. You've woken up in the "red zone" in Panama.

8. WMEC means 'We Must Eat Chicken' to you.

9. You claim to have a woman in every port, yet you are at an ashore unit.

10. If you believe USCG really stands for "Uncle Sams Confused Group"

Semper Fi!

The FB's were NOT treated with respect.
TC

Just for the record, I treated every flowback I flew with or talked to (or still talk to) with as much respect as possible. They were, with very few exceptions, an excellent group of guys. I don't think your general statement about flowback treatment is accurate. There were a few isolated incidents, but overall my observation in both the crew room and the flight deck was that the flowbacks as well as us at Eagle tried to make the best of the situation, and got along fairly well while doing it.

If most AA pilots are like the flowbacks I flew with, then the Eagle guys headed to AA in June should have no problems.

Uhhhh....you get on what your seniority will hold, right? And/or in the case of a new-hire class, how ever they determine that in the class.

Correct. IIRC, the top 100 or so flow thrus will be able to hold S80 or 737 FO where they want or close to it or 767 FO in LGA or MIA. After that most of them are close to being stapled new hires in terms of seniority.

The 35 in June will get whatever slots are open considering their seniority. I do not think they will be allowed to bump into any base they want. After that they can bid like everyone else on the monthly base/equipment bid into whatever they can hold.

My guess is that most will end up initially in St Louis on the S80. Not sure of how the dynamics will work there, considering that I think this is going to essentially kill any chances for the TWA LLCers or the native post-TWA acquisition AA hires (not new hires, but Nicolau didn't care about them) to return from furlough for many many more years. One wild card in this is the time-to-captain calculation which AA has not yet calculated for 2007-2009.

This capricious decision by this Nicolau guy could easily turn out to be a train wreck in it's unintended consequences.

Last edited:
The 35 in June will get whatever slots are open considering their seniority. I do not think they will be allowed to bump into any base they want. After that they can bid like everyone else on the monthly base/equipment bid into whatever they can hold.
Sounds about right. That's the way we do it at Eagle, but I wasn't sure of the APA's rules regarding classes.

This capricious decision by this Nicolau guy could easily turn out to be a train wreck in it's unintended consequences.
As could any agreement or arbitration, but this one doesn't look capricious to me. It's a tough call and I think he made a decent decision out of it. What do you think he should have done?

Just for the record, I treated every flowback I flew with or talked to (or still talk to) with as much respect as possible. They were, with very few exceptions, an excellent group of guys. I don't think your general statement about flowback treatment is accurate. There were a few isolated incidents, but overall my observation in both the crew room and the flight deck was that the flowbacks as well as us at Eagle tried to make the best of the situation, and got along fairly well while doing it.

If most AA pilots are like the flowbacks I flew with, then the Eagle guys headed to AA in June should have no problems.

You're a little different situation. Some of the FO's had the "you're in MY seat attitude" but they were few.

Training was a hellish nightmare for the FB's and the names of the worst sim and line checkairmen is being made public as we speak.

If you're part of the 800 or so that get a FT at the end, it's not even an issue. He!!, you might even be retired by then... ;)

TC

You're a little different situation. Some of the FO's had the "you're in MY seat attitude" but they were few.
Dude, that's still true but it's applied to native Eagle pilots. Flowbacks were no different than any other Eagle Captain who was perceived as "preventing" an FO from the fast upgrade he was promised in his new hire class.

Training was a hellish nightmare for the FB's and the names of the worst sim and line checkairmen is being made public as we speak.
Again, it wasn't just FB's. While there's always a few folks who will act unprofessional in any group, Eagle training is extremely tough compared to AA training. There's a definite "If you don't like it, quite" attitude running through the entire company. A very large number of pilots at Eagle, native or FB, have at least one pink slip in their training file due to the system in place. Yours truly included.

It's not a user friendly system for anyone so don't take it personal when they treated FB's exactly the same as any other Eagle pilot.

My guess is that most will end up initially in St Louis on the S80. Not sure of how the dynamics will work there, considering that I think this is going to essentially kill any chances for the TWA LLCers or the native post-TWA acquisition AA hires (not new hires, but Nicolau didn't care about them) to return from furlough for many many more years. One wild card in this is the time-to-captain calculation which AA has not yet calculated for 2007-2009.

Or they can just hardship to whatever base they want.

Latest resources

Back