Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to Lay Off 2,500 Pilots...... Ouch!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This argument is pointless. Its like comparing the NY Rangers to the Hartford Wolfpack.

Obviously SWA is a great airline, congratulations to the pilots who chose to go there. Air Tran seems to be a good airline as well, but should not be compared to SWA. JetBlue seems to be another great airline for it's employees.

We all do silly little comparisons over who's airline is better. SWA has a very different niche than the network carriers. We compare Jetblue to Delta, how, jetblue operates around 40 airplanes currently. Delta operates 800, its not the same no matter how much we may want it to be.

One more thing. I don't see many people here berate guys who went to SWA, AirTran or Jetblue. So why do soo many guys here like to take shots at guys who went to the "classic major".

We all look like A-holes (including myself) giving each other a hard time about which airline we chose. So don't give a guy **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** for choosing UAL over Airtran and hopefully no one here will give a guy **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** when things recover (which they will).

Just some Sunday afternoon rambling.

Good luck to all pilots who fly airplanes for a living.

NYR (out of the playoffs for the 6th stratight year) payroll $80 million
Hartford Wolfpack (made the playoffs this year) payroll, a lot less than $80 million

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: SWA

FlyDeltasJets said:
Someone needs to take his own advice about being civil[/i]

Sorry. I don;t suffer fools well.

P.S.
That village idiot joke is getting pretty old.

When you get a sense of humor, FDJ, I'll start taking your critiques to heart.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that we were having a joke-off here.

I just thought I'd point out that when the same line is used on every thread, it loses some of its luster. However, it's not my place to judge, so if you want to continue using it, by all means, go right ahead. Have fun with it.

I've used it occasionally on this board for the past 6 years. Lately, I've been forced to break it out more frequently. . . perhaps it is becoming a bit shopworn.

I have plenty more I can dust off and return to service.

Last edited:
Well, returning to the discussion...

Ty, I don't think what I fly now has anything to do with my opinion and whether it's valid or not.
Ok, I was wrong about the AirTran retirement, which is still not up to DAL, but nevertheless, it's a step in the right direction and better than SWA.

I flew at ASA long before AirTran came to ATL... I was there when we called you guys "Crispy Critter", and used to call a move to your airline a "lateral" move (coming from ASA)... I've seen guys come and go out of Concourse C, and I'm sure if they all had the benefit of 20/20 hind sight they would have thought different then about if they would have left AirTran for Delta. So don't try to paint me into this naive corporate pilot profile that I hardly fit.

I was hired (then "fired" while in class) by American due to 9/11, and I have flown in the 121 world before that.... I've got many friends who fly in the 121 world, and I intend to go back to it as soon as I find a good job, so I guess the way I see it, I'm qualified to have an opinion on this subject, sorry if that doesn't sit well with you.

Now, do me a favor... when the economy goes back to normal. and DAL returns to profitability... tell me how many junior guys at AirTran are going to turn down that interview at the big D... I bet very few, but then I could be wrong... only time will tell.

And lets try to keep this a bit more professional, I know I have been a bit uncivil at times here, but debate my points, and not my IQ.

68pilot said:
Hey V70, I would just give up on this thread. You sir, are in fact correct. The majors will recover, and make Bazillions of dollars, and the Pilots will end up renegotiating at the bottom of the next down turn (as always). I believe I saw that American pilots are signing a six year concessionary contract. I hope to hell they put a snapback clause in there somewhere...

Best regards,
68 pilot

I Wanted to, but I figure if I can just get one SWA, JB or other "Discount" pilot to quit priding themselves on working at a profitable airline while the rest of us are on the street and taking deep paycuts to compete with them, maybe they will step up to the plate and bat on in for the other 95,000 pilots out there working/furloughed at the "Airlines".

Even if I can just get to one of those cheerleaders, It will have been worth the insults.

V70T5 has posted 16 times on this thread alone. Why don't we all just let him continue this "so-called" discussion on his own. He seems to be quite good at it.

V70T5 said:

I flew at ASA long before AirTran came to ATL... I was there when we called you guys "Crispy Critter", and used to call a move to your airline a "lateral" move (coming from ASA)... I've seen guys come and go out of Concourse C, and I'm sure if they all had the benefit of 20/20 hind sight they would have thought different then about if they would have left AirTran for Delta. So don't try to paint me into this naive corporate pilot profile that I hardly fit.

Now, do me a favor... when the economy goes back to normal. and DAL returns to profitability... tell me how many junior guys at AirTran are going to turn down that interview at the big D... I bet very few, but then I could be wrong... only time will tell.

And lets try to keep this a bit more professional, I know I have been a bit uncivil at times here, but debate my points, and not my IQ.

Yeah, uh-hu – and Delta was born as the Delta we know today and NOT some sh!thole crop dusting outfit in Louisiana. I bet some time ago there were many that would consider “a move to your airline” as going backwards (not even lateral). I wonder if there was ever anyone who may have thought that if “…if he had the benefit of 20/20 hind sight he would have thought different THEN about if he would have left Delta for Eastern.” Times They’re a changin’.

And when Delta returns to profitability (and I know they eventually will) – a) it won’t be the same Delta you & I would have applied to 2 years ago; & b) no junior guy (in his right mind) at Airtran would even consider an “interview at the bid D” if this downturn is any indication of how unprepared Delta (among others) is for the economy down cycles.

"…Crispy Critter …” why don’t YOU “debate points?” or is this cheap shot just to make you feel better about not having the foresight beyond the dot.bomb bubble boom of the happy-go-lucky nineties thinking the $1,000 w/up fares would last forever. And Mister Crispy Critter to you.

“…step up to the plate and bat on in for the other 95,000 pilots out there working/furloughed at the…” you mean “bat” the same way that the “ALPA brotherhood” was going to bat for those out on strike at EAL. Dude, this one’s easy – that means I wait until you dissolve and then give you the one-finger salute as I keep “…priding myself on working at a profitable airline…” Deal!!

Lead the way to keeping it professional, V7.

awaitingswa said:
V70T5 has posted 16 times on this thread alone. Why don't we all just let him continue this "so-called" discussion on his own. He seems to be quite good at it.

Just because you don't want to accept his points, does not mean they are invalid.

Latest resources

Back