Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to Lay Off 2,500 Pilots...... Ouch!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

Story taken from CNN.com - I know that it is "common knowledge" by now. I am sure a lot of AA pilots will retire early if possible. Otherwise, say adios to a lot of the TWA guys - go straight to Montreal for your CRJ training....

American Airlines to lay off 2,500 pilots
Wednesday, April 2, 2003 Posted: 4:11 AM EST (0911 GMT)

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- American Airlines will lay off 2,500 pilots over the next year as it cuts costs in hopes of staving off bankruptcy, union officials said Tuesday.

About 21 percent of American's 12,000 pilots will lose their jobs, with cuts beginning at the bottom of the seniority ladder. Pilots can be recalled within two years if the airline, the world's largest, adds jobs.

The cuts were announced by officials with the Allied Pilots Association, which has agreed to $660 million in annual concessions to help save the company from bankruptcy.

Pilots' pay will be cut 23 percent for one year, beginning May 1. After that, pilots will earn 17 percent less than what they're paid now through the six-year contract, said John E. Darrah, president of the 12,500-member Allied Pilots Association.

Pilots have 14 days to ratify the new contract.

"I don't think anybody's thrilled with the significant pay cuts and furloughs ... but the alternative clearly would be even worse," union spokesman Gregg Overman said.

AMR Corp., the airline's parent, has lost nearly $5.3 billion in the past two years and has faced increasing competition from low-fare carriers. It took a huge step toward preventing bankruptcy Monday by reaching cost-cutting agreements worth $1.8 billion with the pilots and unions representing flight attendants and mechanics.

George Price, spokesman for the flight attendants, said he would not disclose layoff numbers, salary cuts or other details of the agreement.

Meanwhile, AMR Corp. asked the Securities and Exchange Commission for more time to file its 2002 annual report.

Last edited:
What does the two years part mean...

that if the airline doesn't hire for more than two years that the guys are off the list???

That's a first..

Heavy Set said:
Otherwise, say adios to a lot of the TWA guys - go straight to Montreal for your CRJ training....

HA! That's if we're lucky. Mostly aboriginal AA guys will get the chance before significant numbers of ex-TWA guys do.

How many does that make total?

About 1100 furloughed now, plus 2500 = 3600 total fuloughs. AA has stated that it can only hire (rehire) 50 pilots per month. (Yes, I know they used to hire 100/month but half of those were FE's. Plus, no word on using TWA's training facilities which can train 32/month.)

Eagle Cuts?

Are all of the cuts AA or are any of the Eagle Pilots getting cut? I was an eaglet from 1990-1997 just wanting to know.

Thanks
J3

VT....
The furloughees have an unlimited time frame for recall. I don't know what the 2 year thing that was referred to is. No one really knows how many will be furloughed. There will be a reduction in pilots of 2500. Included in that number will be retirements. Don't know how many.

justApilot said:
VT....
The furloughees have an unlimited time frame for recall. I don't know what the 2 year thing that was referred to is. No one really knows how many will be furloughed. There will be a reduction in pilots of 2500. Included in that number will be retirements. Don't know how many.

thanks, but I've heard this before someplace, about a statute of limitation on recalls... didn't know if that was the case.

Don't count on ANY furloughees going "back." Those jobs are going away, pal. They're going to commuter grade companies with comensurate compensation.

The dawn of the new era...

Pilots will now rank above waiters and bar tenders in wages, and we can thank our walmart minded pears for making it impossible for "majors" to pay "major" wages.

V70T5 said:
Pilots will now rank above waiters and bar tenders in wages, and we can thank our walmart minded pears for making it impossible for "majors" to pay "major" wages.

There's lots of guys to thank for our predicament but blaming fellow pilots is just narrow-minded. Management has the upper hand these days so labor is going to lose. Those who look down their noses at others may soon be looking up at them.

Latest resources

Back