Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Retirements triggered by Dow at 12,000?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HockleyPilot

Professional Fuel Manager
I was told there will be retirements at AA when the DOW was above 12,000. Since it closed yesterday above 12 (now below today), I figured I would ask. This was told to me by an AA jumpseater.

Truth or wishful thinking on his part?

Last edited:
They're waiting for 12,100. That's the target.

:rolleyes:
TC

Exactly. Look for the gummers at southwest to push for age 70 now that Dow's +12K.

Actually, SWAPA always pushed for 65 because they had no retiree medical gap insurance in their contract like most airlines. So when you retired at somewhere else, you med was covered or at least subsidized until you turned 65 to get medicare. It is expensive.
A decade ago, at DAL you didn't even have to go on to medicare, but alas that has all gone.
If medicare entry age ever adjusts up to say 70, then you will see a push from older pilots to readjust the retiree age to match the medicare start.

If medicare entry age ever adjusts up to say 70, then you will see a push from older pilots to readjust the retiree age to match the medicare start.

And then the mass suicide of those under-40 pilots will finally create a pilot shortage!

Actually, SWAPA always pushed for 65 because they had no retiree medical gap insurance in their contract like most airlines. So when you retired at somewhere else, you med was covered or at least subsidized until you turned 65 to get medicare. It is expensive.

Actually, you don't know what you're talking about.

SWA pilots "paid" for their own GAP coverage out of their sick bank so it didn't cost us any out of pocket cashola.

Gup

Actually, you don't know what you're talking about.

SWA pilots "paid" for their own GAP coverage out of their sick bank so it didn't cost us any out of pocket cashola.

Gup

Gup,
That's a more recent invention. Why did SWAPA always hold the age 65 flame then, what was their primary reason?

Latest resources

Back