Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Retirements triggered by Dow at 12,000?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gup,
That's a more recent invention. Why did SWAPA always hold the age 65 flame then, what was their primary reason?

The GAP had been here since the 2002 contract extension. You could take 600 TFP (about 1/3 of your max balance) from your sick balance and buy your own medical until Uncle Sam took over.

SWAPA pushed for Age 65 because the membership voted to support the change and to spend dues money for the push. It was touted as "the right thing to do."

Gup, OTOH, voted NO to spending my dues money to screw me. I think it was not "the right thing to do" because it gave those that got the most 5 more years of the most while letting everyone else pay for it.

But I digress,
Gup

Gup: What did they do with the money? I mean, whatever SWAPA did was a total waste. Nothing got done, or was ever going to get done, until ALPA got on the issue. I've raised a real stink over what ALPA did and the answer usually is that results were produced. Your union produced zero results. You ought to float a resolution that SWAPA pay the money back with a percentage of pay taken past age 60. BTW: Are there any members over there that have any idea what "the right thing to do" for those who got knee-capped by this rule? The other cheek has been turned over this. But anytime this issue is discussed it usually takes the shape of a a debate that would occur if it had not yet changed. What are your old guys saying?

Gup: What did they do with the money? I mean, whatever SWAPA did was a total waste. Nothing got done, or was ever going to get done, until ALPA got on the issue. I've raised a real stink over what ALPA did and the answer usually is that results were produced. Your union produced zero results. You ought to float a resolution that SWAPA pay the money back with a percentage of pay taken past age 60. BTW: Are there any members over there that have any idea what "the right thing to do" for those who got knee-capped by this rule? The other cheek has been turned over this. But anytime this issue is discussed it usually takes the shape of a a debate that would occur if it had not yet changed. What are your old guys saying?

THREAD CREEP ALERT!

EXACTLY! Our union president at the time (2002) said he wanted $80k/yr to spend in DC to "research" the change because there was some noise being made. The vote, not the first floated but the first passed, passed by 65/35 margin. The president immediately started spending (easily verified cause I did) over $400,000/yr in DC pushing the change. The money was lobbyists, committees, etc. This money did NOT include voluntary PAC contributions that were also being solicited.

Long story short there was a HUGE push by our guys when ALPA got involved. Interestingly enough ALPA voted and your members chose NOT to support spending money but yet ALPA continued to have big involvement. Go figure.

As time has past it has become clear that our FO's will spend 5 additional years in the right seat attempting to recoup the financial loss of no growth, no retirements and a sour economy. The economy is turning, the growth is marginal and we have 679 more days until the first forced retirement.

Our old guys are blaming their not leaving on the DOW, which BTW, is ABOVE where it was 2 years ago so I'm not buying that excuse. Bottom line? Greed, divorce and an earned right to occupy the seat until they damn well want to is being enforced. I don't blame them I'd want to go out on my terms too.

I made the cut. In the end I get 5 more years in the LEFT seat if I want. I just feel like our younger generation got duped and have so since 2002. As time passes more of them are seeing it as well and are questioning if it was in fact "the right thing to do."

Gup

Gup: I'm not in the left seat anymore. (but I make more on the widebody as a FO and have more time off than if I were a reserve captain) I mostly fly with guys over 60. If you just threw out the multiply divorced pilots we would be hiring. Most of the earnings past 60 around here [CAL] goes to recovery after the 2nd and third divorce. The one thing we are doing right at CAL is fighting for scope. Even most of the old guys.

I think ALPA will try to change the age again and I think that will be their downfall. It's turned into the union of the aged and the regional pilot. We'll stick with ALPA through our merger, I think. If ALPA came out tomorrow supporting a further age increase they'd get dropped instantly.

*I guess what I'm saying Gup is, I don't think anybody lost more with the age change than a junior SWA pilot. Is there no consideration on SWAPA's part? You've got a merger on your hands now [or at least some type of transaction]. It's not the Airtran pilots fault so stapling/screwing them isn't going to work. (You can't do that; you will all lose in the end) I really expected (or still expect) SWA pilot emplyees to take some action within their own ranks to bring the junior pilots up to par with the rest of the group. Sponsor some early retirements maybe? Or something? Idk..... It's BS the way this has happened for your seniority list's lower half. Being senior at SWA is all you've got. There's no other equipment or fleet or anything.

Last edited:
I'm not in the left seat anymore. (but I make more on the widebody as a FO and have more time off than if I were a reserve captain) I mostly fly with guys over 60. If you just threw out the multiply divorced pilots we would be hiring. Most of the earnings past 60 around here [CAL] goes to recovery after the 2nd and third divorce.
What makes you so immune to a 2nd or even 3rd divorce? Is it because you're "different?" :laugh:

You aint going to see a huge exodus from AA until the market dips again, then they will all punch or risk losing a couple hundred thousand from their pension.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back