Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Retirements triggered by Dow at 12,000?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A pension, what a glorius thought!!!!!!!!!!!!! For all the bad mouthing of AA, at least they didn't sell out the pension crowd. 9+ years on furlough and I can say that eith a straight face!

A pension, what a glorius thought!!!!!!!!!!!!! For all the bad mouthing of AA, at least they didn't sell out the pension crowd. 9+ years on furlough and I can say that eith a straight face!

Nope, they didn't, but YOU are paying for it by being on the street. That sucks!!

You aint going to see a huge exodus from AA until the market dips again, then they will all punch or risk losing a couple hundred thousand from their pension.

Sorry, I don't buy it. When the market took a dump in 07/08 everybody thought senior Captains would start bailing. They didn't because they, well they weren't at the peak anymore! So then they stay put until the market recovers. And now they're over 60!

Sorry, I don't buy it. When the market took a dump in 07/08 everybody thought senior Captains would start bailing. They didn't because they, well they weren't at the peak anymore! So then they stay put until the market recovers. And now they're over 60!

Feb 1st(or maybe it was technically Jan 31st) 2008 there were roughly 300 guys leave. I would say thats a fairly high number. How many guys at that time were eligible(i.e. wouldnt take a penalty to go) to leave that didnt?

We all know about taking stock tips from strangers on flightinfo, but with that said.....

As a pretty serious at-home trader and investor, many believe the new "bull" market got started in Sept/2010. History shows that the strong bull uptrend usually lasts two years, then a flat year, then a new downtrend year into a new bear trend.

So if history serves us, we are looking at a 3-year time frame from approx Sept/2010 before the market tops out again and goes down.

You aint going to see a huge exodus from AA until the market dips again, then they will all punch or risk losing a couple hundred thousand from their pension.

Defined benefit plans (pensions) don't change in value with market fluctuations. That's the whole point in having one. Maybe you are thinking of their 401k's.

Defined benefit plans (pensions) don't change in value with market fluctuations. That's the whole point in having one. Maybe you are thinking of their 401k's.

The AA plan does, or at least a very large part of it. The unit value almost directly correlates to market price. 10% drop in the market=10% drop in the pension price. Thats why they(AA) always have a 90 day lookback at the unit value to decide if they want to retire or not.

*I guess what I'm saying Gup is, I don't think anybody lost more with the age change than a junior SWA pilot. Is there no consideration on SWAPA's part? You've got a merger on your hands now [or at least some type of transaction]. It's not the Airtran pilots fault so stapling/screwing them isn't going to work. (You can't do that; you will all lose in the end) I really expected (or still expect) SWA pilot emplyees to take some action within their own ranks to bring the junior pilots up to par with the rest of the group. Sponsor some early retirements maybe? Or something? Idk..... It's BS the way this has happened for your seniority list's lower half. Being senior at SWA is all you've got. There's no other equipment or fleet or anything.

Hey Gup: Didn't get the edit? Or prefer not to respond?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back