• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA recalls starting to increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys kill me, none of you want to believe sworn Senate testimony. You would rather believe your own versions. OK, I give.

Like I said before Ican killed TWA not AA

Icahn loaded the gun, but AA pulled the trigger.

You guys kill me, none of you want to believe sworn Senate testimony.
You kill me, you believe everything a CEO says at face value. Oh, I mean, except when it's Arpey saying something YOU don't like.

Compton was testifying to expedite DOJ approval for the buyout using the "failing carrier" argument. He selectively said what had to be said to make a convincing argument. As TC wrote, a TWA BOD member said there was a Plan B. (I read his exact words as well.) Whether that Plan B would've succeeded is subject to speculation but nevertheless it was real and it involved money from Boeing. There's no denying that TWA was in poor financial shape but it's a simple fact that on January 7, 2001, TWA was solvent and there were no "lawyers on the stairs of the courthouse" waiting for the order to file Chapter 11. Except when forced by creditors the exact moment when a corporation files bankruptcy is discretionary. TWA's filing on January 8 was part of the deal between Compton and Carty and was designed to get Icahn out of the picture. And it worked. Those are facts, not speculation.

TWA's filing on January 8 was part of the deal between Compton and Carty and was designed to get Icahn out of the picture. And it worked. Those are facts, not speculation.

Here is a excerpt from an article explaining just that.

NEW YORK (CNNfn) - American Airlines parent AMR Corp. unveiled several widely-expected acquisitions Wednesday, including an agreement to purchase most of the financially troubled Trans World Airlines Inc. assets for about $500 million cash. TWA, one of the oldest carriers in the United States, filed for bankruptcy as part of the arrangement.

Was TWA in financial trouble? YES, nobody denies that but as you said those are the facts, not speculation.

blah blah - etc- etc- rehash - rehash

We need to have a national list so this type of pettiness gets stopped. Let's figure it out.

the view that somehow pilots of the acquiring carrier should benefit from the deplorable acts of another's CEO is anti-union. As if it couldn't have happened to you. At the same time- why should AA pilots get pushed down b/c of it? The problem is that both arguments are valid- the problem isn't how the integration happened - just like it's not the problem at usair- Both of these integration disputes and their ill-will are the only logical ending to our ridiculous seniority system.

Continuing to marry our airlines through seniority is the stupidest, short sighted tradition that we have.

At the same time- why should AA pilots get pushed down b/c of it?
They shouldn't. And they didn't. Everyone knows if an arbitrator had done the TWA/AA integration it would've been a much different affair. The arbitrator in AWA/USAirways didn't staple any active pilots; they were all ratioed in a relative-seniority manner.

As for your "solution" of a national seniority list: a great idea that will never happen. Next idea, please.

We need to have a national list so this type of pettiness gets stopped. Let's figure it out.

Not saying your are one, I know you're not.

An observation. The only guys I ever hear saying we should have one national seniority list, here at CAL, are the SCABS from 1983-85.

You kill me, you believe everything a CEO says at face value. Oh, I mean, except when it's Arpey saying something YOU don't like.

Compton was testifying to expedite DOJ approval for the buyout using the "failing carrier" argument. He selectively said what had to be said to make a convincing argument. As TC wrote, a TWA BOD member said there was a Plan B. (I read his exact words as well.) Whether that Plan B would've succeeded is subject to speculation but nevertheless it was real and it involved money from Boeing. There's no denying that TWA was in poor financial shape but it's a simple fact that on January 7, 2001, TWA was solvent and there were no "lawyers on the stairs of the courthouse" waiting for the order to file Chapter 11. Except when forced by creditors the exact moment when a corporation files bankruptcy is discretionary. TWA's filing on January 8 was part of the deal between Compton and Carty and was designed to get Icahn out of the picture. And it worked. Those are facts, not speculation.

Compton specificly denied that their were any bailouts from Boeing. He said this in his phone message to ALPA (I believe that it was mid 12/00) I also vividly remember him saying that their was, "No white knights" and "Boeing was not interested".

The whole Boeing RUMOR cracks me up. To think that Boeing would bail out TWA after American had just signed an exclusive all Boeing contract is absurd. Yep, that makes sense piss off one of your potentally biggest customer ( remember in 1999 AA was placing huge all Boeing orders) just to save the 717.

It's a nice rumor but I go with the sworn Senate testimony any day of the week

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back