• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA now wants costs cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's B.S. for one airline to stand up for the others such as Delta might do if their contract is thrown out and they strike. In this case all ALPA pilots should strike and the message would definately be heard, STOP ATTACKING LABOR!

History has shown that you can not shrink an airline into profitability. Further cutting wages and concessions will never save an airline. Good luck to all aviators at AA.

What a surprise. Their hourly rates are some of the highest (for pax carriers) and their contract opener starts in a month.

I've been furlooughed from American for almost five years now. In that time I received one check from the AX contract lawsuit for about $800. 800 bucks in five years. No medical insurance, travel passes, no nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Last night I had a friend come over and visit me. His Dad retired from American about 2 years ago. His Dad was going on and on about how lucky he was because he was able to take his both A and B fund in a lump sum.

He lives in Florida and is a real estate broker in his spare time. His house is worth over 5 million dollars. It has an elevator. The whole time he was talking to me about his life, he never once asked how things were for me after being furloughed. It never even crossed his mind.

The problem with the unions are that the old guys just don't give a crap at all about the young guys. They have all the power and do all that they can to protect themselves. If that means thousands of dudes get furloughed, who cares? As long as they keep their nest-egg, they are happy.

The senior airline pilots are as responsible as managment for holding us down. There are not necessarily mean spirited, they just don't give a crap about us.

I wonder if I will be like them someday? I hope not, but in 25 years I could be saying, "I was furloughed for X years, screw them." We'll see.

The senior airline pilots are as responsible as managment for holding us down. There are not necessarily mean spirited, they just don't give a crap about us.

Not all of them. NWA pilots paid for extended medical coverage for furloughees up until recently; unfortunately, the Draconian pay cuts have made it tough to continue the program. And they do keep trying to eke out some extended bennies (like passes) from the company, as well as maintain a liaison for job leads. Seems like a shame AA pilots couldn't do likewise for you.

I agree with Big SLick. Despite some token efforts as a "pilot group", when the going gets rough, it's every man for himself in the majors. I got the same $800 bucks for my 5 years of furloughed time - about what I made in a month as a new hire, which is kind of sad in and of itself.

Hey Ed White and Mickey Malersky--We'll make sure they spell your name right when they're making up your K-mart nametags! :p :p :p

Or we'll make sure they get it right when you get fitted for that paper hat and hot dog warmer box! :p :p :p TC

Yea I've got to agree with Big Slick on this one. I read a post about a FedEx poolie and how the pilots were working to get these guy's brought on as soon as possible. One person responded with "what do you care about a poolie". This is the basic attitude of a lot of pilots. Take care of number one and screw everyone else. Unfortunately the more senior guys you have, the more the attitude exsists. It's time for some leadership from the senior guy's and do what's right for the profession and not necesarily yourself. Like Big Slick pointed out, most high time guy's at a major are doing pretty well. Keep the junior guy's in your thoughts when you vote.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back